Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

reach in freezer

turbo air M# tsf-23sd S# df23212167 reach in freezer r-404a
    I was doing a pm and found one freezer starting to to thaw out at 37 degrees before getting my gages I feel the cond coil feel room temp discharge line feel room temp and suction king valve coming off the compressor is on the warm side hmmmmm bad valves to make sure I go get my gages digi cools its running 5 low/ 199hi psig I had 6 degree subcool superheat had to be atleast 60 degrees didn't check it though. cap tube system no receiver. I unplug the cooler to see if it equalizes but pressure stays right there. so I thought maybe my gage was stuck I loosen my low side hose from the manifold then tighten pressure dropped to 3 psig and it held there I loosen it and it drops to zero I plug the unit back in and the low side hangs at .3 psig seems like the compressor isn't sucking much but then if the valves were bad it should equalize through the bad valves once turned off. on the other hand if the compressor was pumping my discharge would be hot and my suction should go into a vacuum depending how bad the restriction is. maybe originally the cap tube was clogged and it caused the compressor to mess up not sure looking for your input. by the way I went out to get my analog gages hooked up lowside and it hung at about 2 psig if it was on or off it would stay about the same. the only other thing I can think of is if this model has a liquid line solenoid valve gizmoes im starting to see on reach in coolers that prevents the refrigerant from all condensing in the evap coil. if it did it must be up in the evap section.

What is your superheat?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by phxhvac View Post
    What is your superheat?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Low side 5 Psig = -57 degrees and my suction was room temp roughly 75 degrees = 132 degrees superheat and suction line at king valve at the compressor had to be about 80-85 degrees it was warmer if this helps any

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    turbo air M# tsf-23sd S# df23212167 reach in freezer r-404a
    I was doing a pm and found one freezer starting to to thaw out at 37 degrees before getting my gages I feel the cond coil feel room temp discharge line feel room temp and suction king valve coming off the compressor is on the warm side hmmmmm bad valves to make sure I go get my gages digi cools its running 5 low/ 199hi psig I had 6 degree subcool superheat had to be atleast 60 degrees didn't check it though. cap tube system no receiver. I unplug the cooler to see if it equalizes but pressure stays right there. so I thought maybe my gage was stuck I loosen my low side hose from the manifold then tighten pressure dropped to 3 psig and it held there I loosen it and it drops to zero I plug the unit back in and the low side hangs at .3 psig seems like the compressor isn't sucking much but then if the valves were bad it should equalize through the bad valves once turned off. on the other hand if the compressor was pumping my discharge would be hot and my suction should go into a vacuum depending how bad the restriction is. maybe originally the cap tube was clogged and it caused the compressor to mess up not sure looking for your input. by the way I went out to get my analog gages hooked up lowside and it hung at about 2 psig if it was on or off it would stay about the same. the only other thing I can think of is if this model has a liquid line solenoid valve gizmoes im starting to see on reach in coolers that prevents the refrigerant from all condensing in the evap coil. if it did it must be up in the evap section.
    I looked this model up online at the wire diagram and there is no solenoid coil in turns means no solenoid valve. The the reason for my Gage pressure not to equalize would be a severe restriction but then my compressor should pull down into a vacuum.

Should equalize through cap tube. Also, compressor should show increasing separation between high and low side when starting from equalized state no matter the condition of the rest of the circuit. Try equalizing through your manifold then restart compressor and see what happens. It sure sounds like you have a clogged cap tube and/or drier, and perhaps a bad compressor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Should equalize through cap tube. Also, compressor should show increasing separation between high and low side when starting from equalized state no matter the condition of the rest of the circuit. Try equalizing through your manifold then restart compressor and see what happens. It sure sounds like you have a clogged cap tube and/or drier, and perhaps a bad compressor as well.
    The same day i was there i did what you mentioned I throttled my high side into my low side to bring my back pressure up to 40 Psig while off. I didn't want to feed much liquid right into my compressor so basically it was 41 lo/ 175ish not budging once I locked off my Gage's, start it up low side came down to 6 Psig and sat there shut it off and it stays right there. Long story short I told them they need a new compressor n dryer ima try to blow out the cap tube in reverse to see how it feels. I wanted others input. I appreciate you reply

If your changing the compressor, then change the plugged cap tube too...

Never had any luck blowing em out. You may be able to cut the first few inches off it and get lucky if its plugged there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    If your changing the compressor, then change the plugged cap tube too...

Never had any luck blowing em out. You may be able to cut the first few inches off it and get lucky if its plugged there.
    I agree. Your probably going to have to change the cap tube unless you have a cap tube checker/cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I agree. Your probably going to have to change the cap tube unless you have a cap tube checker/cleaner.
    What's a cap tube cleaner checker?

Ima try to just cut off 2 inches I know I can't cut off much or else ima screw it up. As far as the cap tube cleaner I always look at the tool online and say it looks nice but also has a nice price tag. But if it saved me a few times it would be worth it ill stare at it again and see if I'm convinced lol

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    What's a cap tube cleaner checker?
    It's basically a hydraulic pump that forces a small piece of lead through the cap tube forcing out any blockage safely into the evaporator. Thermal Engineering makes one.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    Ima try to just cut off 2 inches I know I can't cut off much or else ima screw it up. As far as the cap tube cleaner I always look at the tool online and say it looks nice but also has a nice price tag. But if it saved me a few times it would be worth it ill stare at it again and see if I'm convinced lol
    If you do a lot of cap tubes like I do, then it's worth it. Although I don't use it all the time, when I do need it its a nice tool to have around.

There are times when it is dang near impossible to replace a cap tube. I have filled a new grease gun with refrigeration oil and forced it through a plugged cap tube to clean it out. Poor mans cap tube cleaner. Sometimes it works. Usually I just replace.

If you do a lot of cap tubes like I do, then it's worth it. Although I don't use it all the time, when I do need it its a nice tool to have around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast