Your valued professional opinion please....

hello everyone!
    This past January I had a mini split heat pump system installed in my home. I went with 2 outdoor units. One is a single 12k and a multi at 36k with three 12k indoor units . I am generally happy with the equipment but the 36K outdoor unit is quite noisy and has drawn my neighbors complaint. Here is a link to a video. If you could tell me if this is considered noisy for a Mr. Slim I'd appreciate it. The temp. was only -2C at the time. I did measure it with a db meter at 85db. For comparison, standing next to my truck I read 75db.
    One of the reasons for choosing a Mr. Slim installation was for the db specs. in their literature.
    Thank you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtfT2BgYjx8

Have the installing dealer return and check it out.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

TThis is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-23-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

thank you for your replies.
    The installer has come out and changed the stand to the one seen in the video as recommended to him by the distributor.
    Unfortunately for them, the units had been off due to freezing rain we had here and were fired up just prior to their arrival. The 36k unit always starts out quiet but, when cold outside, becomes noisy. In the vid all three indoor units would have been on but the one upstairs typically is at temp longer due to the air rising. The installers didn't get a chance to here it live, other than for a short time after it was restarted. I invited them to come by when it's cold. The db specs. listed by Mitsubishi are quite low at 57db. This must be under test conditions. I, unfortunately, don't know if this is "normal" but doubt that it is.

We did a 3 head 2.5 ton last year. Wasn't whisper quiet but no where near the racket of yours. Something isn't right.

Agreed. Something is not right there. Bearing failure in the fan motor perhaps, maybe a cracked fan blade that shows its ugly head when cold,, perhaps. Compressor. I can almost envision either of these causing that noise. Best suggestion would be to have the contractor out when it is in noise mode.

Does the noise change with different number of coils energized? Say with only one indoor coil heating is the noise the same?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Yes, it's absolutely noisy.
    ANY AMOUNT of Icing will create a fan imbalance that results in noise or already damaged the blade.

BUT, regarding your noise measurement, I believe _standard DB ratings_ are taken/tested at about 5 feet.

http://www.iheatpumpprices.com/heat-pump-problems.htm
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Once again thank you.
    There is no noticeable difference when I switch off a unit. I leave the units in auto.
    I had the outdoor units off as a precautionary measure during the ice storm. The ice storm is irrelevant to the noise. I suspect a Mitsubishi rep should be able isolate the fan from the compressor and pin point the source?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-25-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

garyhvac

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.