Just Became Member

Just Became Member

Hi
    My name is Michelle. I joined this site to educate myself about HVAC. My brother owns a HVAC company and I now work for him.

I have a BS in Civil Engineering but do not know a lot about how the Heat Load Calculations are done. I heard about the Manual J & D. I also downloaded a HVAC Calc. program that gives you the heat gain and loss answers. I am more interested and how they get those answers. What formula's are they using, etc.

I also have a lot of questions regarding high velocity systems. Why are they so touchy?????

you can purchase the ACCA manuals and go from there.
    given enough repetition they become easy, to use the long forms.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

do some reading on thermodynamics ,which is part of mechanical egineering

Welcome I am new here myself. Life of people willing to help and lots of good info here. I'm definitely glad I joined

Meant to say lots of people not life of people lol

Welcome. I would suggest enrolling in classes specializing in Manual J & D. You can obtain a good foundation to work with as you study the Manuals your self. The best way to learn, get out there and do it. Don't rely on the apps and software options. Do it long hand for a while and you will have a better understanding than most of the jokers out there making every decision by sq footage and there thumb from the curb.

If you want to be the be best, you have to strive to be the best!

I took thermodynamics, it was a required course in the C.E. program. I remember closed systems vs open, graphs for points of vapor etc., but not much more. Was Bernoli's (sp) equation used?

Thanks for the advice.
    I have to do a heat load calculation for a home in Somerville, MA. The city requires the calculations to be done in order to obtain a permit.