Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mold on blower housing - is this a problem? (picture)

This is a picture of the blower of my outdoor Trane duel-fuel unit. I live in NC. The unit is in our back yard. My HVAC tech says this is a concern and that a UV light thing would help control it. Should I be concerned? I haven't seen mold elsewhere.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  54.4 KB

I would be concerned though I would not think of a light to solve the problem
    start by cleaning then seal the source
    the the light may be the answer to keep it away if inreality its due to high humidity levels?

Does mold on the surface of an outdoor blower necessarily mean that mold is also in the ducts, etc? Is it possible that the mold is just due to outdoor humidity, not indoor?

What do you mean by seal the source?

I'd just clean it off with an all purpose cleaner that is safe for plastic, and make sure the access panel has a good seal around it.

Make sure the evaporator coil is clean, and that the filtration is good. A UV light in the ducts, or irradiating the coil would do exactly nothing for what is in that picture.
    A UV light positioned to prevent growth on the blower housing would destroy the blower housing, and the wiring for the motor.

That part of the unit is a very humid environment in the cooling mode, and becomes a warm humid environment when the AC shuts off
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I think its like rust it spreads
    My thaut is that compartment is in a negitive and being outside it may pull in rain water or outdoor humidity it should be water tight any and all outside components must be sealed and insulated as-well

aside from that I sure wouldn't want to breath the indoor air that has been drawn across the mold in your pic's
    Im no expert though it dont look healthy

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    aside from that I sure wouldn't want to breath the indoor air that has been drawn across the mold in your pic's
    How is the indoor air affected by the outer housing of the blower? Is air drawn across the blower housing? The evap coil looked fine - no mold.

The access panels are removable with screws, so how could they be sealed? Wouldn't you then be unable to remove them?

Still wondering - is this normal on an outdoor unit, or something I need to look into further?

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    Mold is all around and on us.
    On every surface in our homes, on every bite of food, in every breath we take!

The bacteria living in your gut out number the cells that make up your body!

Living at the base of your eyelashes, there are creatures that looks like horror show monsters!

Sleep well tonight.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

no I would not seal the doors ! the door should be gasketed and covered from rain!
    no that is not normal on outdoor units and yes air is drawn accros the blower housing as in all surfaces inturnal they are in the airstream
    is that a air-born mold? I dont know? is it healthy ?

Anyone else have an opinion? I woud like to know if my picture looks like something that you professionals see regularly, and what you recommend to the homeowner to do about it, if anything. To be clear - I'm not 100% sure it is mold, just obviously some sort of growth.

Not uncommon to see a little growth and it probably is one of the hundreds of varieties of mold that's around us everywhere. Have him clean the thing and change the filter a little more often. No dirt to feed on and you wont have colonies growing.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Not uncommon to see a little growth and it probably is one of the hundreds of varieties of mold that's around us everywhere. Have him clean the thing and change the filter a little more often. No dirt to feed on and you wont have colonies growing.

Do you mean the rertun filter(s) in the house, or is there a filter in the unit itself that requires changing?

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'd just clean it off with an all purpose cleaner that is safe for plastic, and make sure the access panel has a good seal around it.

Make sure the evaporator coil is clean, and that the filtration is good. A UV light in the ducts, or irradiating the coil would do exactly nothing for what is in that picture.
    A UV light positioned to prevent growth on the blower housing would destroy the blower housing, and the wiring for the motor.

That part of the unit is a very humid environment in the cooling mode, and becomes a warm humid environment when the AC shuts off
    clean it up and make sure all the doors and ducts are good and tight.

uv light would destroy that unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast