Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432

    Atheists more compassionate than the Religious

    Atheists and agnostics are more driven by compassion to help others than are highly religious people, a new study finds.

    "Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not," study co-author and University of California, Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer said in a statement. "The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns."

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1468006.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,604
    University of Kalifornia, Berkeley is a cesspool of pinko commie nutbags that need to be stomped, kicked and beat to a quivering mass of bruised flesh.
    To even quote these anti American douche bags speaks volumes of your character.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    University of Kalifornia, Berkeley is a cesspool of pinko commie nutbags that need to be stomped, kicked and beat to a quivering mass of bruised flesh.
    To even quote these anti American douche bags speaks volumes of your character.
    Ya, but how do you really feel about them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    The tests are repeatable.

    Also, communism is not communism, if you try understand what I mean...

    I am no Marxist myself and nor am I any form of communist - but we have to remember that communism, as intended by Marx, was the state of affairs where there was eventually no state and no government - all would be free - a one-world utopia was the ultimate aim.

    According to Engels, Karl Marx grew so irritated at misinterpretations of his doctrine that towards the end of his life he declared "All I know is that I am not a Marxist!"

    But as I say - the tests are repeatable - the tests stand on their own merit. They should have the same results whether they be carried out by communists or capitalists.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,604
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    Ya, but how do you really feel about them.
    LMAO!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    3,197
    its easy to give away other people's money, how do they link giving away non-money after seeing a video, to giving one's own money or time in the real world?

    Haven't seen too many hospitals or universities w/ Athiest memorial on them. UVA is the only humistist ivy league I can think of, and even Jefferson said religion was necessary for our country to survive.
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Haven't seen too many hospitals or universities w/ Athiest memorial on them. UVA is the only humistist ivy league I can think of, and even Jefferson said religion was necessary for our country to survive.
    Oh, there are many atheist or humanist charities around.

    However, we must not confuse organisations with persons.

    It might even be that where certain people tend to be less compassionate they might need an institution of sorts to help that community compensate for this tendency. Dan Dennet said that religion was like moral viagra for those who were not so moral in their earlier years.

    But atheists like me also donate money to Christian organisations. I think just because a charity happens to be associated with Christians it does not mean therefore that Christians are more charitable than others. Perhaps it just means they are more prone to taking advantage of the non-institutionalised compassion possessed by atheists.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,036
    Termo perhaps you should get a source other than from a communist or far left athiest site before you use it to start a thread if you want to argue your point with some credibility. Thank you very much.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,074
    Thermo, you're pissing up a rope with this crowd.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Termo perhaps you should get a source other than from a communist or far left athiest site before you use it to start a thread if you want to argue your point with some credibility. Thank you very much.
    Do you think I think the interpretation of the experiment and its results is conclusive?

    If I did then, for one at least, all my years of philosophy study would have been for none.

    This is a debate forum - not an announcement board.

    I put stuff up for debate more than to state.

    I certainly believe, however, that atheists are more morally sensitive than theists, this seems consistent with the fact that it has been atheists making the loudest anti-Islam noises since 9/11 (Dawkins et al).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Here is an atheist who slams the study's apparent findings. Would be good to read Berkeley's response.

    http://nonprophetstatus.com/2012/10/...t-as-we-think/

    Here's the detail of the study...

    http://static.squarespace.com/static...1346634920390/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,036
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    ..............................I certainly believe, however, that atheists are more morally sensitive than theists, this seems consistent with the fact that it has been atheists making the loudest anti-Islam noises since 9/11 (Dawkins et al).
    Funny thermo outside of you, I'm not aware of any of any of the athiests on this forum taking issue with the radical Islamists. They are all attacking Christian like Christians are responsible for all the attacks world wide being comitted by the radical Islamists and all the rest of the ills of the world.

    We are at least in agreement on the problem with radical Islam and their Quran and I might add you do don't ignore that like the others do. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Funny thermo outside of you, I'm not aware of any of any of the athiests on this forum taking issue with the radical Islamists.
    You see only what your pronounced prejudices and ideology allow you to see.


    They are all attacking Christian like Christians are responsible for all the attacks world wide being comitted by the radical Islamists and all the rest of the ills of the world.
    Realistically, Christians and Muslims are responsible for a significant percentage of the world's problems. Reducing the hegmony of religions and other faith based systems would greatly benefit mankind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event