Efficient Heating Gas Firplace Insert?

Are there any gas fireplace inserts that put out decent heat efficiently? I'd like to supplement the heat in the living room and master bedroom and the current fireplaces are just standard brick jobs with gas starters. Aside from looking pretty, can a fireplace heat a room without costing an arm and a leg? Last month's gas and electric was over $500 for a 3000 sf house with Energy Star appliances and compact flourescents everywhere. Ouch!!!

Ideas? Product Lines?

Just about any gas INSERT will work effectivly as a zone heater. The most effecient way to heat your whole house is the furnace (unless you dont have a furnace). The thing you want to stay away from is GAS LOGS which are huge energy wasters. Check out the Heat & Glo inserts http://www.heatnglo.com/products/inserts/gasInserts.asp you can use the menu bar up top to find a dealer near you if you are interested. Many dealers have burning displays in the showroom.

Cool Heat & Glo

I agree with JTP on the HG inserts. Get their Firebrick (FB series). I've never had anyone complain about poor performance but virtually every one has been amazed at how much heat they put out. Over the last 5 yrs, I've had ONE person request the convection fan after using the fireplace and that was in a huge room. Just one. These things rock! Very reliable, one of the best flames around, natural looking firebox, variable flame height, realistic logs and embers, and that Firebrick matrix really pumps out a very even heat--no peaks and valleys. You also don't have that tin can look you get with aluminized steel fireboxes (read-fake). Great new selection of decorative fronts. No more heat lost up the chimney, no more cold down drafts, no more funky odors from the chimney and you have a great backup heat source if the power goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I agree with JTP on the HG inserts. Get their Firebrick (FB series). I've never had anyone complain about poor performance but virtually every one has been amazed at how much heat they put out. Over the last 5 yrs, I've had ONE person request the convection fan after using the fireplace and that was in a huge room. Just one. These things rock! Very reliable, one of the best flames around, natural looking firebox, variable flame height, realistic logs and embers, and that Firebrick matrix really pumps out a very even heat--no peaks and valleys. You also don't have that tin can look you get with aluminized steel fireboxes (read-fake). Great new selection of decorative fronts. No more heat lost up the chimney, no more cold down drafts, no more funky odors from the chimney and you have a great backup heat source if the power goes out.
    Are you saying that you do not need the blower on these units as they put out enough heat without them?

Smile HG Firebrick inserts

So far, yes. Most people are floored by how much heat they give off and that it is an even heat. Can you tell I like this unit?

You can always get the fan later. Also, for the fan, you either have to fish electrical cable up into the fireplace or have an ugly power cord showing running out of the Fp to the right along the hearth to an outlet.

FYI if you do end up getting the fan later, a lot of inserts have to be torn out just to install it. Expect a hefty labor charge to install a fan on certian inserts. If you have the power there its worth it to pay the $$ up front as most places would not charge any extra labor for installing it right away.

So far, yes. Most people are floored by how much heat they give off and that it is an even heat. Can you tell I like this unit?

You can always get the fan later. Also, for the fan, you either have to fish electrical cable up into the fireplace or have an ugly power cord showing running out of the Fp to the right along the hearth to an outlet.
    I am building a new home and I was going to buy the Heat N Glow 6000GLX model which comes with the fan. You can also adjust from 18000 btu to 40000 btu's. Do you like this unit and will it do everything you stated above.

The GLX is not an insert, which is what we have been discussing.

But, the 6000GLX is an excellent unit that comes with all the upgrade options standard, including ceramic glass. You will enjoy it a lot if that's what you get.

Smile Hg 6000 Glx

This unit was designed to be modulated for comfort much like modern furnaces. If you need more heat, the fan and flame height are adjusted accordingly. If you need it cooler, both the flame and fan again modulate to meet the comfort level.

This is the first hearth product I'm aware of with this capabilty. While the WSK 300 wall control is what does it, the unit went through reliability testing to see if it could handle all these turndown rates and delta Ts. So far, all I've heard are glowing reports on this unit. The only exception was where the installer accidentally allowed the solenoid pin to drop out of the flame height control so it couldn't actuate. Not the unit's fault. Has a good looking flame, too. Just don't put it into a small room. It will cook you out.

I think jtp and Blueflame have some experience with these units and have not reported any major problems they've shared with us here. BTW, the GLX is also made with that FireBrick material. Really cool stuff and unshoppable.

This unit was designed to be modulated for comfort much like modern furnaces. If you need more heat, the fan and flame height are adjusted accordingly. If you need it cooler, both the flame and fan again modulate to meet the comfort level.

This is the first hearth product I'm aware of with this capabilty. While the WSK 300 wall control is what does it, the unit went through reliability testing to see if it could handle all these turndown rates and delta Ts. So far, all I've heard are glowing reports on this unit. The only exception was where the installer accidentally allowed the solenoid pin to drop out of the flame height control so it couldn't actuate. Not the unit's fault. Has a good looking flame, too. Just don't put it into a small room. It will cook you out.

I think jtp and Blueflame have some experience with these units and have not reported any major problems they've shared with us here. BTW, the GLX is also made with that FireBrick material. Really cool stuff and unshoppable.
    Hearthman,
    If you were building a new house , would this be the unit you would consider or do you have another model you like better?

Cool my new home?

For which room? Yoiu know I'd have a slew of them. Heck, I might even have a wood burner such as a Quad 7100i, a Quad or Harman pellet stove, maybe a gas DV stove such as Avalon's Tree of Life here and a couple of gas DV Fps there. I like some of the Travis, Regency, & Mendota Fps. For really big family room fireplaces, I like the Quad QFP 44 or the Heat & Glo Escape DVs.

Sure, I'd love to have a 6 GLX. Actually, before I bought my Quad Castile pellet insert, I was planning on blowing out part of my masonry Fp, venting it up the chimney with DV pipe then building cherry cabinets around it with a plasma tv above. HHT did a package deal with Best Buy in a limited market using such as combo and I liked the look. I may still do it and flip the insert somewhere else. You can use them as built-ins, so even if I remove the Castile from my masonry Fp, I can still use it elsewhere.

BTW, my avatar was a Top Burn fire in this fireplace.

Steve, I think it is a great unit with some really nice fronts to choose from. The only drawback if there is one is the flame. The concept on the new 6000 series ranges from an immature, tall fire with the 6000 G to the mid burn GL to the mature flame GLX, which means more of a campfire w/ coal bed and less flame height. Just depends on what you like.

If I do the combo cabinet thing, I'll post some pics. I plan on keeping my old house for now.