Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 102
  1. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    Its not entirely up to you in this program. If you are not fit and don't cut the mustard you WILL be terminated. This is serious business and no children are allowed here.

    If you want to want to be the best in the field and participate in this type of training, you will need to attend and keep your mouth shut listen and learn. They don't play. If you want to make your own agenda, then don't even consider this as an option.

    However if you complete this course you will already be working with a very good mechanical contractor. After you turn out you can go any where in the nation and get a job.
    Will they have job placement after im out? what do you mean after i turn out?
    So, if i put my heart and soul into it ill be fine right? i already take my work/school very serious.

    When you say fit, i havent lifted weights in a long time... but if i keep my head down focus, and work as hard as i can ill be fine right?

    When i am finished with this, i want to know that there will be a job when im done, i dont want to be looking for a job and be in the same spot i am right now.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina Piedmont Area
    Posts
    449
    There are no guarantees any where in this field. It's all up to you. If you are not working now or in ten years it is not because of the Industry. It will be because you are not valuable. That means that you went down the wrong path and listened to wrong advise. It will not matter though because you will likely be successful no matter what you do if you apply your self. The only thing is that you will have wasted a few good years like many of us already have.

    Turn out means you have completed your apprenticeship and are now a qualified Journey Man card holder.
    Fit means that you attend the class and successfully participate. LOL

    As for work there is no such thing as a slow period in commercial / industrial service. It's a full time job. A minimum of 2080 hrs a year.
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.
    _______________________
    In a strict sense troubleshooting is not part of the repair..........understand the symptoms and you will find a solution.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Joplin,Missouri
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    There are no guarantees any where iin this field. It's all up to you. If you are not working now or in ten years it is not because of the Industry. It will be because you are not valuable. That means that you went down the wrong path and listened to wrong advise. It will not matter though because you will likely be successful no matter what you do if you apply your self. The only thing is that you will have wasted a few good years like many of us already have.

    Turn out means you have completed your apprenticeship and are now a qualified Journey Man card holder.
    Fit means that you attend the class and successfully participate. LOL

    As for work there is no such thing as a slow period in commercial / industrial service. It's a full time job. A minimum of 2080 hrs a year.
    just because its union doesn't mean there are no layoffs tell that to the 3 20 year masters in local 178 here that I know are sitting at home drawing unemployment and they are talented smart guys the kind of guys that you work if there is any

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina Piedmont Area
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    just because its union doesn't mean there are no layoffs tell that to the 3 20 year masters in local 178 here that I know are sitting at home drawing unemployment and they are talented smart guys the kind of guys that you work if there is any


    So Relocate........go non-union.............get a job.......it's that simple.....are you serious?

    You think that I am in the UA? No!
    I live in a right to work state and can work anywhere in the nation.
    As far as work goes....hell I can work all the overtime I want.
    Just this week I had no choice but to work 70 hours. If I wanted my job next week I was required to work.

    The OP was asking about info and it is very clear that he has Zero field qualified commercial experience.

    Are you saying that you would recommend that he attend Nate. Give me a break . That's nothing but BS. As a matter of fact I think Nate is a joke.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Joplin,Missouri
    Posts
    310
    There are several ways to get educated just because you go through a union apprenticeship doesn't mean you are any better than non union. It all depends on the individual.I have never been to a union school and I have consistently risen to the top at every place I have ever worked. And that's not the only way to get licensed. I hold a Master Mechanical license and have never worked a day for the union. And anyone around here will tell you its not an easy accomplishment you have to really want it and follow through with it. The union keeps records i think the pass rate is about 5% I don't have a problem at all with unions I do however have a problem with people who think they are automatically better at their job than someone who is non union it all depends on the individual.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina Piedmont Area
    Posts
    449
    You got got me all wrong.

    I never said any of that. Lets make this very clear. There is NO other better training for commercial industrial service work.
    I could give a rats a** about a license.

    We are clearly talking about applicable commercial/industrial field experience. I can tell you if you have turned out you got the best training..... Period. There is NOOOOO other better training. Make that clear.

    As far as better goes...that's up to each individual... but you already know that.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Joplin,Missouri
    Posts
    310
    And I agree with you on your point that a union is a great way to get training. And I am not bashing them at all. With the pay scale and benefits its a good way to go.If I was 19 again and know what I know now that's the path I would take. All I'm saying is its not the only way. I meant no disrespect and if it sounded that way I apologize.

  8. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    And I agree with you on your point that a union is a great way to get training. And I am not bashing them at all. With the pay scale and benefits its a good way to go.If I was 19 again and know what I know now that's the path I would take. All I'm saying is its not the only way. I meant no disrespect and if it sounded that way I apologize.
    Okay if i do the steam fitters union for commercial hvac.... how does employment work?, Im confused about any union employment. I know only certain companys are union only.... How does it work? Do i just have to know what companys are union?, will they give me advice as to what union jobs are available?

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina Piedmont Area
    Posts
    449
    Its all good....I did not take it in a bad way. The debate makes for a good topic. I am tired of hearing rhetoric in the industry as to why people are not working. Its simply because they have either not gained the required experience or have completed there duty cycle and are at the right age for retirement. Some have disabilities.... but that is another subject.

    Its just that some people try to misconstrue the facts. The UA spends multi millions on training and they have been successfully providing some of the best training in the world.

    If you have never seen a facility you will be amazed at the equipment which is on site. I am not talking some stupid simple little training modules either. I have personally seen large tonnage chiller systems and piping installed by students.

    The controls are the latest and the greatest. Show me any other school who has all aspects of this type of training.

    As far as wages go... they are not discussed in the open.. especially in the South. This is a very good reason as to why many are not making a proper prevailing wage...hell most don't even know what the word means. But that's not the case with me. I know how to negotiate my salary. Its an industry standard.
    Last edited by alcomech; 04-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.

  10. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    Its all good....I did not take it in a bad way. The debate makes for a good topic. I am tired of hearing rhetoric in the industry as to why people are not working. Its simply because they have either not gained the required experience or have completed there duty cycle and are at the right age for retirement. Some have disabilities.... but that is another subject.

    Its just that some people try to misconstrue the facts. The UA spends multi millions on training and they have been successfully providing some of the best training in the world.

    If you have never seen a facility you will be amazed at the equipment which is on site. I am not talking some stupid simple little training modules either. I have personally seen large tonnage chiller systems and piping installed by students.

    The controls are the latest and the greatest. Show me any other school who has all aspects of this type of training.

    As far as wages go... they are not discussed in the open.. especially in the South. This is a very good reason as to why many are not making a proper prevailing wage. But that's not the case with me. I know how to negotiate my wages. Its an industry standard.
    How does union employment work?? after im done with the 5 year apprenticeship, what happens?

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina Piedmont Area
    Posts
    449
    This is just an option and maybe its not a good one for you. I don't know your state which you are in. You should wait for others to reply...I am sure that I will here some slack on this one
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.
    _______________________
    In a strict sense troubleshooting is not part of the repair..........understand the symptoms and you will find a solution.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    862
    I think u better go backto flippin burgers at mc dicks, u aint gona make it with the bigboys buddy

  13. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    This is just an option and maybe its not a good one for you. I don't know your state which you are in. You should wait for others to reply...I am sure that I will here some slack on this one
    heights scare me.... do you think residential will probably be best for me?
    Can i do steam fitters union and be a residential service tech?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event