Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I tried to buy it direct from C-H and was told they were discontinued, I like to circumvent Trane cause they charge an arm and a leg for every little dingy thing.
    You're going to spend more money trying to make them work with aftermarket parts vs buying OEM aux contacts. Also, I think those aux contacts from Trane have special contacts in them.

I tried to buy it direct from C-H and was told they were discontinued, I like to circumvent Trane cause they charge an arm and a leg for every little dingy thing.
    I always use the adage "it takes what it takes".

Do you replace the condenser fan motors with 1075 rpm motors too?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post

Do you replace the condenser fan motors with 1075 rpm motors too?
    Yes!!!! and I buy the oil and filters from Walmart!!! customer loves me, hes taking a trip to Hawaii with all the money I saved him.

Valdelocc, make sure you buy them from Trane. 100 bucks there a bout ea. no big deal.
    The auxiliary contacts have gold plated contacts and are peanuts compared to what that compressor cost.
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.

Customer asked me for advise about retrofitting the chiller to a more affordable refrigerant,I'm thinking 407C,the chiller is oversize so I'm not concern about capacity drop. have anybody done a successful retrofit?

Retrofit? Why? Trane does not recommend that this unit be retrofitted with any refrigerant other than its original intended design.

If your unit is tight you should not need to worry about any refrigerant loss. Leaks are going to occur with any refrigerant and need to be fixed ASAP anyway.

407C ?, Consider the temperature glide difference. As it is already your existing system has a low superheat value. How low are you willing to go? With 407c the superheat will be lower....consider the fact that you will have as much as an 8 degree lower super heat than with R-22.

407C also has a slightly lower discharge temperature. You will need to consider head pressure control and the capacity of the EXV in low ambient conditions.

Its not likely that the existing saturation temperature sensors and compressor suction sensors will respond correctly.
    Also you will want to consider that zeotropic blends need two column P/T charts and have different temperatures for saturated liquid and saturated vapor at constant pressures.

There is much more to consider but I would like to hear input from the pros on this one.
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    Retrofit? Why? Trane does not recommend that this unit be retrofitted with any refrigerant other than its original intended design.

If your unit is tight you should not need to worry about any refrigerant loss. Leaks are going to occur with any refrigerant and need to be fixed ASAP anyway.

407C ?, Consider the temperature glide difference. As it is already your existing system has a low superheat value. How low are you willing to go? With 407c the superheat will be lower....consider the fact that you will have as much as an 8 degree lower super heat than with R-22.

407C also has a slightly lower discharge temperature. You will need to consider head pressure control and the capacity of the EXV in low ambient conditions.

Its not likely that the existing saturation temperature sensors and compressor suction sensors will respond correctly.
    Also you will want to consider that zeotropic blends need two column P/T charts and have different temperatures for saturated liquid and saturated vapor at constant pressures.

There is much more to consider but I would like to hear input from the pros on this one.
    At this point it looks like the job will be approved, the customer is aware of all the risk and my employer had written all sort of disclaimers on the contract.
    R-22 is a thing of the past, we have to move forward and experiment with alternatives. the warranty has long expired and since Trane does not offer any solutions we have to think outside the box.
    There is a lot of work and money to be made if all works out OK.

Trane has a solution: maintain integrity of the chiller. Works for any chiller. Any refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Trane has a solution: maintain integrity of the chiller. Works for any chiller. Any refrigerant.
    yup. R22 is not a thing of the past. it will be someday, but we are not even close to being there. is the refrigerant expensive and getting more expensive? yup. fix the leaks and move on. i have not had issues with the RTAA line of chillers being big leakers.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Its impossible to keep a refrigeration system from leaking, they all leak with time.
    Trane makes some of the worst leakers, they leak, leak and leak again, how are you preventing refrigerant leaks? would like to know the secret.

Its impossible to keep a refrigeration system from leaking, they all leak with time.
    Trane makes some of the worst leakers, they leak, leak and leak again, how are you preventing refrigerant leaks? would like to know the secret.
    Limit vibration and keep condenser clean. Degrease and clean entire chiller during p.m. so any oil can be spoted next maintence and the leak repaired before its substantial.

Proper procedures using access valves, always using a backup wrench, and not damaging valve packing goes a long way.

I like the OP and his opinionated mindset.. Just out of curiosity, what was the full charge on that circuit? Keep us updated on how the retrofit goes..

Quote Originally Posted by YORKAPPRENTICE View Post
    I like the OP and his opinionated mindset.. Just out of curiosity, what was the full charge on that circuit? Keep us updated on how the retrofit goes..
    I like him too. Its good to question why things are done a certain way that's how we learn. Blindly following even perfect procedures without understanding the "why" will stunt growth as a tech. Sometimes its hard to read the intent or emotion behind written text but its sounds like he had tough luck with trane machines.

Having a plan to swap to 407c in case of a major charge loss and or compressor failure is one thing. Retro fitting a fully charged machine seems premature to me. Im currious as to what reason sparked the retrofit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast