Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Thinking of moving to Houston area

Currently living in the west coast and the housing costs are becoming outrages in our area. Thinking about relocating to the Houston area. Was wondering if anyone had any input or feedback as far as the cost of living there compared to Portland and also what the wages look like out that way.

Post Likes
    Check out UA Local 211 Pipefitters - Houston. They're looking for R/HVAC Techs.

http://www.pipefitterslocal211.com/

3. Likes buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    There's currently a drive to Organize the Hussmann Services branch out there. Union and 60 to 80 Hrs a week working Refrig.? What's not to like?!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post

Wow the wage package looks pretty low to me
    UA Proud

Post Likes
    It's all relative. Fuel costs is low. Cost of living is lower. Apples to oranges from Seattle, butt.

Post Likes
    It's all relative. Fuel costs is low. Cost of living is lower. Apples to oranges from Seattle, butt.
    I understand that. I also used the comparison from the website that I posted earlier in this thread and Seattle is about 20% more expensive to live in than Houston but that wage is about 40% lower. Maybe not dealing with the traffic would be worth it though.
    UA Proud

Post Likes

That would be great if I had experience with refrigeration and chillers. Unfortunately I don't have that experience yet and I wish I did. What's the advantages and disadvantages to a union position?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hey, you could always go in as a Serviceman.
    Some people would complain about paying Membership Dues, paying Working Dues, and sometimes being offered irrelevant Training.
    Having Health & Welfare and Pensions paid-for is a huge upside.

11. Likes buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Wow the wage package looks pretty low to me
    Yes, the wage package looks like it is lower than it is up here. And cost of living in BFE, Wisconsin has got to be equal or even cheaper than a big city like Houston

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by csigler503 View Post
    Currently living in the west coast and the housing costs are becoming outrages in our area. Thinking about relocating to the Houston area. Was wondering if anyone had any input or feedback as far as the cost of living there compared to Portland and also what the wages look like out that way.
    Wage depends on your experience. What are you looking for? Residential, commercial, union or not?

I have worked in Houston for 26 years but same commercial company. I have not worked at many companies but over 26 years but I have met a lot of people from prob every company in the area.

Post Likes
    According to figures, Milwaukee and of course Chicago is more expensive to live in than Houston.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by waltervan View Post
    Wage depends on your experience. What are you looking for? Residential, commercial, union or not?

I have worked in Houston for 26 years but same commercial company. I have not worked at many companies but over 26 years but I have met a lot of people from prob every company in the area.
    Residential for now and eventually get into commercial. I'd prefer union. I have 2 years experience but take my career very serious and have pride in my work. Had tons of training and soon to be NATE certified along with having water heater license. Not to sound like I have a big head but I feel like I have caught on quickly and exceeded in what I do. Went from doing tune ups to replacing compressors and coils in less than a year and making sure it was done correctly. I know I don't know everything and probably never but I enjoying learning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast