+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BBMD vs VPN

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Did the openVPN server require an external IP or is that also behind NAT?
    I'm not dealing with NAT here, as my VPN's are running across a corporate network. If the OpenVPN server is behind a NAT/firewall from your client, then yes, it will have to have path from the client to the server. This is a single UDP or TCP port (you can choose UDP or TCP as the connection method of your tunnel), standard port is 1194, but can be configured to be anything. So no, this won't let you completely avoid the firewall issues, but if you have multiple sites, all connecting over the internet to a single server, only the server has to have an exposed port. The clients should have no problem traversing the NAT on their end to make their connection to the server, as long as there aren't specific firewall rules in place to block the outgoing 1194 port.

Post Likes
    Nice.

Got to be a hell of easier than dinking around with 50 BBMD tables each time they change up the addressing scheme.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    We deal with a lot of places like jails and schools that will not give us VPN privileges. I am trying to set up one school now with BBMD. They have a server address of say 198.xxx.xxx.xxx and the school jaces are 10.xxx.x.xx. They said they do not want to NAT so gave me an external address of say 198.xxx.xxx.xxx. When I changed the jace to 198 I could no longer communicate with the server. It was a Friday afternoon and I didn't have time to monkey with it. How can I set this up? Will I be able to get to the other 10. schools in the system as well?

Post Likes
    Would have to get a lot more info than this to have any idea what you are dealing with. Are the 198... and 10... connected together in any way? Are the different schools already networked together with a district wide network? Networking is one of those things where there are at least 10 ways to accomplish any given task.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in