+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advise-W/I condensate routing.

Post Likes

Need advise-W/I condensate routing.

OK, I'm an electrician helping out my wife's business and we are stuck with the Los Angeles County Health department plan check.

We had a 2000sq' freezer installed by the manufacturer a couple years ago. Because there is no floor sink, and on advise from our refrigeration guy, we installed a condensate pump that pumps to the roof area near the condenser and all works well. Now the health department plan check person says "floor drain or mop sink only".

There is no floor drain available and we could put in a mop sink but the distance required and the layout would not allow the 1\4" per foot drop needed. The freezer is not moveable-would cost thousands, as it is anchored down and the inside floor is concrete poured over foam sheets for insulation. Installing the mop sink closer would require saw cutting the floor and tons of money and the building owner probably will not allow it.

My questions are:
    Is it true that a condensate pump is not allowed in our area? (Los Angeles)
    and is it true that pumping outside (on the roof) is not allowed in our area?
    If all that is true...any suggestions?

Our company hasn't shown the profit survive a large expense at this time. We are worried.

Thanks,
    John

Post Likes
    Are they concerned about the pump or the fact that it discharges to the roof. Could you just run the pump hose to your existing mop sink or floor drain? Or do they require a gravity drain?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Are they concerned about the pump or the fact that it discharges to the roof. Could you just run the pump hose to your existing mop sink or floor drain? Or do they require a gravity drain?
    Hi Craig,

Both the pump and the roof discharge, they say, are unacceptable. The drain line would be a total of about 60' to the current mop sink area. It is inside of a packaged food warehouse. That's why the Health dept became interested.

In my experience as an electrician, sometimes these "authorities" can be wrong. I'm hoping someone with Los Angeles experience can advise me.

Thanks, John

Post Likes
    I have no idea about your area, but in my area (Raleigh, NC) they recently changed the codes so you cannot discharge condensate into the sanitary sewer at all. No floor drains, no mop sinks. You have to pipe it outside, either via pump or gravity.

I can't imagine why an AHJ would have a problem with pumping to the roof? Maybe they need to be gently shown that the pump/check valve acts as a trap?

Post Likes
    FWIW, I have seen a major grocery chain pump condensate to the roof. I don't recall if it terminated into the sanitary sewer or the storm sewer (I wasn't involved in that part of the install) but I know they did it--and do it--in all 50 states. Maybe you could ask if that would be permissible--i.e., pumping it onto the roof, then into either a RTU condensate drain (if it terminates where they want it to, i.e. sewer or storm drain) or just a run a new line on the roof to wherever they want it.

Post Likes
    Is the pump inside the cooler? That may be the problem.

Post Likes
    I live in Los Angeles and see lots of vacuum drain systems in supermarkets (Costco, Trader Joe's, Target, Ralphs) that don't have floor sinks.

The vacuum system removes the water via~the vacuum system, and dumps in down into the sewer.

http://www.acornvac.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I live in Los Angeles and see lots of vacuum drain systems in supermarkets (Costco, Trader Joe's, Target, Ralphs) that don't have floor sinks.

The vacuum system removes the water via~the vacuum system, and dumps in down into the sewer.

http://www.acornvac.com/
    Interesting!
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric John View Post
    OK, I'm an electrician helping out my wife's business and we are stuck with the Los Angeles County Health department plan check.

We had a 2000sq' freezer installed by the manufacturer a couple years ago. Because there is no floor sink, and on advise from our refrigeration guy, we installed a condensate pump that pumps to the roof area near the condenser and all works well. Now the health department plan check person says "floor drain or mop sink only".

There is no floor drain available and we could put in a mop sink but the distance required and the layout would not allow the 1\4" per foot drop needed. The freezer is not moveable-would cost thousands, as it is anchored down and the inside floor is concrete poured over foam sheets for insulation. Installing the mop sink closer would require saw cutting the floor and tons of money and the building owner probably will not allow it.

My questions are:
    Is it true that a condensate pump is not allowed in our area? (Los Angeles)
    and is it true that pumping outside (on the roof) is not allowed in our area?
    If all that is true...any suggestions?

Our company hasn't shown the profit survive a large expense at this time. We are worried.

Thanks,
    John
    The City of Los Angeles has very strict codes. I'm dealing with some now. Here is a link to info: http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/codes.jsf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullMonkey View Post
    Interesting!

That's not the word that I use for them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Dealt with these before huh?? Just reading about it, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a condensate drain,, can't you use a simple evaporator pan on top of the unit, ??

Post Likes
    I think I use the same words you do for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in