Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    How much time is spent each winter below freezing?
    It doesn't get that cold here. The furnace is safe in the attic. The only problem I've ever had with 90% furnaces was about 4 years ago when the drains that ran outside freezing and causing condensate to back up, and nobody I talked to could even remember that happening aside from that one winter in the last 15-20 years. Put heat tape on them and be done with it. The only thing I would be worried about is putting a Kenmore in. I don't know anybody who sells parts locally for it, aside from obviously Sears. I had to get a defrost board for a heat pump this last year and it took about a week to get parts.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Really I would say less then 4 days. Austin Tx very hot 100 + Degrees for a month at a time and humid. I think really I wouldn't use the strips that much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    How much time is spent each winter below freezing?

I'd be real cautious sears DOESN'T INSTALL H V A C they sub out all work and pay piece meal (read about rough cases on this site)

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINTXAC View Post
    Really I would say less then 4 days. Austin Tx very hot 100 + Degrees for a month at a time and humid. I think really I wouldn't use the strips that much at all.
    The heat strips will come on more than you realize around here. They don't only come on when its freezing. They come on with a large setback, when it goes into defrost or when it's losing capacity. Usually around 40, they'll start being used more and more. Several nights a year get down below 40. I think tonight it's supposed too. Your best bet around here with the size house you have and the low price of natural gas, if you're in the city and not using propane. Is to put in a variable speed 80% furnace with humidity control, put in a 16 seer straight cool a/c, seal your ducts up and maybe replace if they are old, blow in insulation, skip the foam stuff, take the money you save on the foam and put in some good windows and seal as many penetrations as you can.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

That's why you shouldn't use minimal setbacks only for comfort with heat pumps in heating mode. Setbacks in cooling have limited useless if sized correctly unless you have time of use metering. Actually a correctly sized actually system won't recover from more that 1or2fif at all in really hot weather.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINTXAC View Post
    The house is a 1300 square feet built in 2000 with single pane aluminum windows in the Austin Tx area.
    It's going to have the attic spray foams after the A/C system is installed.

So I'm hoping to move over to the Heat Pump.

What type of electrical panel would I need to install this unit.
    With the house being built in 2000 it should work fine right, and is this a good heating and cooling options.
    I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thank you so much for your knowledge.
    Summer design temp 98'/ 75'F DB /WB
    Winter design temp 30'F __ ASHRAE 99%

Your electric service would have to be evaluated for heat pump + 3kW ( or other) heat strip.
    Total ... is about 5 kW

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/.../texas/austin/

Heat gain is likely in low 20,000's BTU/HR
    Heat Loss might be in the mid 10,000's BTU/HR "ball park" with the relatively High Winter Design Temperature of 30'F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12