Lennox Elite vs Carrier Infinity - which would you get and why?

Lennox Elite vs Carrier Infinity - which would you get and why?

I own a 2000 square foot ranch in Cleveland OH with an old Trane single stage furnace. The local HVAC contractor I work with is first rate. I've worked with them for years. A Manual J calc was done and the number say I need 60,000 btu's.

I am looking to replace the furnace but keep my 3 ton AC. I recently installed a low cost Honeywell 7 day programmable thermostat .

The contractor has been a Carrier shop historically but they recently added Lennox as well.

They have proposed the following furnace choices;

1) Carrier INFINITY SERIES ECM BLOWER MOTOR THREE STAGES OF HEAT
    58MVC100-1-20 (100,000 BTU input on high fire, 68,000 BTU input on medium fire and 45,000 BTU on low fire) Keep the Honeywell thermostat

2) Lennox Elite 2 stage with variable ECM Blower EL296UH070Xv36B - 70,000 btu - keep the Honeywell thermostat

3) Lennox Signature Series SLP298UH070XV36B - 70,000 btu - fully modulating furnace, with ECM blower (this unit would require a high doller thermostat)

I am thinking the Lennox Signature Series is overkill. We are not planning on running any extra zones or thermosts. The home actually heats pretty evenly with my old furnace. Unfortunately the furnace is quite noisy and the house tends to get cold before the furnace kicks on.

A key goal of the new furnace is to get a quieter furnace and a more stable temperature (less temperature swings).

Which of these three model furnaces would you choose? And what type of thermostat would you recommend?

Price is less important than getting the right furnace system. We plan to live in this home for many years.

Thanks,
    Spud

I would go with the Lennox Signature SLP98. It can vary its capacity from 35% to 100% in 1% increments when used in conjunction with a Lennox I comfort thermostat. The closer to the target temperature it gets the more it slows itself down to provide even heat throughout the space. It is extremely quiet and has proven to be very reliable.We have installed at least a couple hundred of them and we have had hardly any service calls except extremely minor error codes usually the result of dirty filters. You can get the Icomfot WiFI option with the thermostat allowing you to control your system from anywhere(providing you have a wireless router in your home). When hooked up to WiFi it will automatically notify you by email and notify your Lennox dealer automatically when any problem with the unit occurs. I have been an HVAC tech for 18 years and if there is a betterfurnace out there iI haven't seen it.

The MVC is an oldie. To compare, Carrier has an Infinity that modulates as well.

Ditch that Honeywell. If you are looking long term and high end, get the Infinity control or the I Comfort and get the comfort & control you should be getting from the nice furnaces.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The MVC is an oldie. To compare, Carrier has an Infinity that modulates as well.

Ditch that Honeywell. If you are looking long term and high end, get the Infinity control or the I Comfort and get the comfort & control you should be getting from the nice furnaces.
    Thanks for the reply - I've been told that the new Carrier Infinity modulating furnace is louder than the Lennonx Signature Series because the burners are not fully boxed in. Can you comment on the sound from the older 58MV vs. the newer modulating Carriers vs the Lennox Signature?

Also, The 58MV the dealer has is the last on in stock and it is 100,000 btu when I only need 70,000. What is the downside of going too big? Wont I just be running on stage 1 and stage 2 and never on stage 3 or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Spud

Quote Originally Posted by bjaspud View Post
    Thanks for the reply - I've been told that the new Carrier Infinity modulating furnace is louder than the Lennonx Signature Series because the burners are not fully boxed in. Can you comment on the sound from the older 58MV vs. the newer modulating Carriers vs the Lennox Signature?

Also, The 58MV the dealer has is the last on in stock and it is 100,000 btu when I only need 70,000. What is the downside of going too big? Wont I just be running on stage 1 and stage 2 and never on stage 3 or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Spud
    Do not oversize to 100K. The furnace will have problems from day one.

I would not recommend the old 58MV...............not even close to an SLP98
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

my favorite is the EL296..... although we sell lots of SLP98..... and hundreds of ML 195,S
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-22-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Quote Originally Posted by bjaspud View Post
    I jsut have a Carrier 59MN7 modulating furnace installed. The blower is always slightly louder that the bruners or ID fan at all firing rates and I evne have very, very low static pressure so my blower is almost at minim RPM on low fire. It's insanely silent. You have to be about 5' away in a quiet basement ot even know it's running. Oddly enough, my 59TN6 2 stage Ininfity furnace upstairs does make more noise. Not loud, but the ID fan is much louder than the blower.

I didn't know Carrier was even making the 3 stage ICS furnace anymore.

I can't comment on Lennox. I'd sure it's very quiet. Lennox and York do have hte advantage of a gas valve that modulate down to 35%. Trane and Carrier's only modulate to 40%... FWIW. But I think Infinity control and how it modulates blower speed especially when cooling or using the heat pump and with the newest touchscreen version is hard to beat. It uses outdoor tempratures and indoor humidity to determine what speed it will run the blower. I've seen it range anywhere from 275-400CFM/ton. But I am biased.

+1 on on correct sizing. WHen you get a modulating furnace you find out fast exactly how little heat you actually need ot mainain tmeprature. If you oversize it, you lose most of the benefits of modulating equipment.

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on the Lennox SLP298 Signature Series modulating furnace with the IComfort WiFi thermostat. Installation is Friday. I will let you know how it turns out.

Spud

Let me know how you like the I comfort WiFi stat all of our customers love it I put one on today after our installers put in an slp98 they had an old round T87 honeywell mercury stat talk about one extreme to another lol it seems like every time we install one of those stats we get another changeout by referral

The newer touchscreens have come a long way at eing easy to program and user friendly. The Infinity touchscreen stat I have is amazing simple to program and operate. Much easier IMO than the standard Infinity controller. Its' all icon based and fairly intuitive. I wish it did give more equipment operating data on hte main screen without having to go to the "locked" service screens.