Opinions on proposed new system - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I didn't see where you live. What large city do you live near, so we know the summer design temps?
    Energy-wise, what is the house like? That bedroom is over a garage, therefore it may need extra weatherization performed on its floor & other areas.(?)

I'm thinking that with a high $ zoned system it would be important to do a Home Energy Efficiency Audit & then a House Load-calc so you know what to do to bring the loads down for smaller system equipment.

I would think, you ought to be able to get it down to 12-Btuh per sf; 2700-sf * 12-Btuh/sf is 32,400-Btuh. That wouldn't call for a 4-Ton system; that would help on the duct system & allow for hopefully longer runtimes, which is much better for equipment, for your pocketbook, & for your comfort. Just a thought...

Here in SW WI, I use a tiny Half-Ton 6,000-Btuh window unit to cool my +675-sf 1937 farm home's first floor, that is only 8.8-Btuh per sf. I use a large floor type fan to circulate the air through the 3.5 rooms, it keeps the rooms no higher than 77-F & 55% RH even under extreme temp-conditions.

I live in Louisville, KY.

The house was built in 1999 to what was probably minimum code at the time. One of the HVAC contractors also had an insulation contractor come out. They wanted to insulate the floor in between the master bedroom and the garage below. They also wanted to add some insulation to the attic, seal some holes in the attic that went behind interior walls, and add baffles for all of the vents that allow air into the attic. This was going to be a significant expense and we cannot afford to do both insulation and HVAC right now. If I end up going with the new Lennox XC25 outdoor unit that can vary its output, I don't think it should matter if the system is oversized. At least that's how I understand it....

Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    The supply air sensor is in the main supply duct about 3 feet from the coil. There is not one for each zone. Out of 17 total runs in the house the master bedroom zone would only have 4 which is less than 25 percent of the total system. In my opinion that is not big enough for the harmony zone system. The extra supply air would have to be bypassed back to the return. Here's the thing you are gonna pay a lot of money and not be near as happy as you would with the new setup. But I understand you may not be able to wait.
    Hi Brian,

I am going to roll the dice on the new XC25/icomfort system. The only thing that will change things is that they have no idea how much this new equipment will cost, so I can back out on the install if we cannot come to an agreement on price when the parts are ready to install.

Since this will be the first time the installer is using this equipment, they are bringing in a Lennox Field Technical Rep to oversee the installation.

I have a question about the coil. They are telling me the C33-49C TXV coil can be used with both R22 and R410A. The technical literature that I have seen makes it look like this coil is only for R22 systems. They also say that this coil can be used if the furnace is mounted on its side.

Is this correct? I assumed that I would need a CH33 horizontal coil if the furnace is mounted on its side instead of the C33 Up-flow coil?

The CH33 coils are 410A as well as R22

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-23-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-23-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

jpbhvac, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12