Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about the Digi-Cool AK900...

Hey guys, I have been reading the reviews of the AK900 on here for a while now as well as doing other research and I am looking into purchasing one. I have a couple of questions for you guys that have experience with these. What is the best place to purchase them from? Should I get the one with the manifold included, or purchase a different manifold? If a different manifold, would a standard YJ41 work? (As in are the two holes on the top of the manifold spaced properly or will I have to get some type of adapters?) Do they have to be calibrated prior to each use? I am definitely going to purchase the spring temp clamps, but, are there any other temp probes that I should purchase as well? I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate your taking the time to respond. Thanks a lot guys.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Hey guys, I have been reading the reviews of the AK900 on here for a while now as well as doing other research and I am looking into purchasing one. I have a couple of questions for you guys that have experience with these. What is the best place to purchase them from? Should I get the one with the manifold included, or purchase a different manifold? If a different manifold, would a standard YJ41 work? (As in are the two holes on the top of the manifold spaced properly or will I have to get some type of adapters?) Do they have to be calibrated prior to each use? I am definitely going to purchase the spring temp clamps, but, are there any other temp probes that I should purchase as well? I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate your taking the time to respond. Thanks a lot guys.
    I have no experience with the DC manifold, but it has gotten some good reviews. A couple guys have had leak issues, but those were pretty easily resolved if I understand correctly.

They CAN be adapted to any manifold, but don't line up directly with the YJ41 manifold. You'd need a couple of 1/8" pipe thread adapters.

Trutech tools sells them and, if you call them, I'm sure they can get you the adapters that you need.

As far as calibration goes, no it isn't necessary to calibrate it before each use. You can ZERO it to local conditions if you'd like.

Clamps are great for lines between 3/8 and 1 5/8" If you work outside of those sizes a set of velcro sensors are real nice to have. Those come with the unit, I believe.

I love the manifold that comes with it, it takes a little getting used to but I now prefer it to a yj41. You just zero before hooking to system by pressing the zero button. Between tge spring clamps and the Velcro sensors that come with the set that's all you need. I highly recommend these guages especially if you are rough on tools. They will far outlast a yj analog guage set. Trutechtools is where I got mine and IMO are a great company with great customer service. Rdholder is a good place to go through as well. Both give 5% discount for hvac talk members.

I have the Yellow Jacket branded version of the DC 1200 that was mated to the Titan manifold. A Titan manifold should work for the AK900.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Do i need to put a screen protector on the screen like what is used for cell phones? To keep the scratches from making the screen unreadable or is it not needed

No, it has one on it when you buy it that you could leave on but it just makes it harder to read at different angles/distances. It's pretty solid, you'd really have to be hard on it to render it unreadable

Quote Originally Posted by klee7013 View Post
    Do i need to put a screen protector on the screen like what is used for cell phones? To keep the scratches from making the screen unreadable or is it not needed
    Not needed.
    The AK900 has the same scratch resistant membrane material on the front of it as my BTD-1000, and after 8 years of horribly abuse, it not only still works, but the display is as easy to read as when it was new.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I didn't like the DC manifold so I switched the head to my old Brute evac manifold.

I still don't like it so I ordered a YJ 46081 commercial manifold.

This manifolds has three 3/8 ports and a 1/2 evac port.

I bought three 3/8" straight by 1/4" 45* flare to hook up to systems and 1/2 straight by 3/8 straight connector for evacuation.

Had to get it dropped shipped and it's taking a week to come...GNASHING TEETH....Then the AK goes on top.

The manifold is a Brute and it cost a ton.

Are you talking about the one layer on top that can be removed easily?

Or is it another layer on the screen itself?

A supply house sales man i showed them to pulled it half off(it aint yours wtf are you doing) so more than likely it will fall off, bubble up, or get trash underneath it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by klee7013 View Post
    Are you talking about the one layer on top that can be removed easily?

Or is it another layer on the screen itself?

A supply house sales man i showed them to pulled it half off(it aint yours wtf are you doing) so more than likely it will fall off, bubble up, or get trash underneath it soon.
    If your AK900 has an easily removable plastic film over the display, it is probably to protect it during shipping, not something that was to be left on permanently.
    If it wasn't just a thin plastic film, you have a problem.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If your AK900 has an easily removable plastic film over the display, it is probably to protect it during shipping, not something that was to be left on permanently.
    If it wasn't just a thin plastic film, you have a problem.
    that is what i was thinking for shipping. I asked because i have a couple useless smart phones that i took the screen protector off but forgot to put one back on.

Questions about the Digi-Cool AK900...

The AK's are solid as a rock. Peel of the plastic, it is used to protect during shipping.

They're not meant to be babied. Let 'er rip!

My 1250 screen got scratched when a nitro regulator mounted on a tank fell against it. I thought it was going to be shattered, but just took a deep scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast