Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NO AC CALL

If those were my units, and I caught them in the act... I would have to unload a S&W 357... That is downright petty crime.

CT

Thousands of $ worth of damage for $3/lb "dirty reefer" at the scrap yard.

It's ridiculous that anyone can scrap refrigeration equipment with no trade license. I take 9, 14, 20 ton compressors, huge coils, and whole units and all they say is "damn that's big, did you drive on the scale?"

Quote Originally Posted by phase24 View Post
    compressors were still there, yea they still left alot of copper behind maybe it was amateurs.
    Those compressors are worth more then any copper. If they only knew.

Last year the company I work for had four properties hit extremely hard on the loss of ground units in a two week period of time. I think all told we lost about 75 or so units on the four properties. The sad thing is that nobody heard anything or saw anything. And people wonder why the cost of the rents has gone up.

I have even seen some units that are on roofs that have been taken and it just makes me shake my head.

I had a simular call. It was a no a/c. I called the customer and the lady had a really strong accent so I could barley understand but she just kept saying I have no a/c. Well I arrive to find the condenser missing and the line-set clipped up to the building. Didn't realize she physically ment no a/c.

They are making less scraping than at a honest job. When you figure the hours that go into surveying sites, most work is done at night so that is overtime rate, breaking machines down for scrap, finding a scrap yard shady enough to deal with no questions. Obviously they are industrious so if you get them involved in a trade we would all be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post
    They are making less scraping than at a honest job. When you figure the hours that go into surveying sites, most work is done at night so that is overtime rate, breaking machines down for scrap, finding a scrap yard shady enough to deal with no questions. Obviously they are industrious so if you get them involved in a trade we would all be better off.
    Not to mention legal fees, medical fees for refrigerant burns, and other assorted fees.....

Your right on the money Ryan. Not much of a benefits package in scrapping!

It's a big deal when I have a unit to break down all to myself. I mainly do service, PMs, and when I do a changeout it's as a sub. Once in awhile though, I get to bring the unit home and rip er apart. Bucket for copper, pail for metal, coils leaning to drain after bells cut off with my sawzall, and compressor nipped and brazed shut. I usually have a guy begging me for the metal before I am done, and I am actually in a nice neighborhood...They just smell it. I don;t care about the metal, just the coils, copper and compressor.

The scrap yards here are getting good about notating EPA cards and logging what I bring in. All for it. There's been such a rash of stolen units over the past year in South Florida, it isn't even funny. I have seen houses that were broken into (vacant) for the copper and coils. That is insane. What do i make on a 2-ton split set of coils and compressor? $50 or $60 I'd say. Not worth it. I guess if you need money for crack...

Seems to me there must be a 'thrill' of 'beating the system' when a thief steals something and makes $$$ from it.

I agree; I generally make between $50-60 on each system I scrap... depending on tonnage and furnace design/size. Most of the time I will have 3 or 4 or 5 systems before I go to cutting them up. My install crew usually gets done early, and I always pay them for 8 hours... so they scrap, clean, mow my yard, etc. to make 8 hours. They do good HVAC work for me, I pay them well, and I take care of them...

Back on topic: Theft seems to have gone down a bit in my area... I do not see as many folks that 'look like thiefs' at the scrap yard... most of the folks scrapping coils (scrap yard cannot buy coils unless one shows a trade license and a picture ID), look a bit more like professional trades folks.

So far in my area, the weather is cooler than normal... I hope it warms up (preferably gets HOT) soon... need to generate business.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I always think it's funny, we have city wide cleanup in the spring here. People put old furnature, appliances, electronic, etc. When you go by someone has cut the cord off all the electrical stuff. How much copper do they actually think they are going to get out of a cord, and how long does it take to strip it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12