Hybrid View

HHO Fireplace won't stay lit....

Yes, I have an HHO (oxy-hydrogen) 3-sided fireplace. Just finally converted it this week. I need some suggestions on back-flash suppression.

Here are the specs:

HNG Pier-42,
    27-40Kbtu input

I'm using HHO (oxy-hydrogen) gas 1/2" line in with a water bubbler as a flash suppressor.

HHO Generator specs:

12vdc input modulating from 10-30amps

I'm getting about 1 liter of HHO gas in 3minutes.

My first attempt, ran fine without a water bubbler in between the generator and the combustion chamber but when I turned off the gas, the generator tended to disassemble itself into tiny pieces with a large shot-gun sized BOOM spreading water everywhere.

With the bubbler, I am not having that problem, but I am not getting a steady flame now.

Has anyone here worked with oxy-hydrogen or hydrogen electrolysis?

Just curious

Ummmmmmm....NOPE.

Smile Plates and regulator do the trick!

I went back to the drawing board and saw two things I overlooked. I changed the surface area of my electrolysis plates and changed my regulator.......

much much better.

This is awesome! A water buring fireplace!! I think the best thing is the efficiency and no need for venting. Next step is to apply for a patent. I don't think Heat-n-glo would be too happy about me altering their products for profit lol.

I've been working on this for quite a while now. It's not too often that an HVAC guy gets to work on something like this.... a Steve Jobs-Bill Gates kind of moment.

Hydrogen

Does not have very much BTU value. The reason it is so popular is it's explosive range. Unlike methane or propane.

Quote Originally Posted by oroy54 View Post
    Does not have very much BTU value. The reason it is so popular is it's explosive range. Unlike methane or propane.
    That is very interesting oroy54. Heat-N-Glo's Aquion claims 31Kbtu @ 1/2gal H2o/hr.

That is not to mention that there is no venting of heat or gases to the outdoors creating a 100% efficiency rating. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just put some new tread on em.

I realize that pure hydrogen has only 94btu/lb output, but HHO gas is not pure hydrogen and thus in its monotomic state as 2 seperate hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom, it achieves a much higher rate.

HHo gas is currently widely used in welding, brazing and cutting and many are using in gasoline engines, although I personally have not tried or witnessed such an application.

I am convinced that with the proper regulation of pressure, filtered grey water from residential uses could be used to efficiently heat a home through a furnace application or even ambiance and heat through a ventless fireplace application.

Thanks for the comment.

Thats really interesting what did you use for a generator and the bubbler if you dont mind me asking

(Stupid Question)

congratulations

Wow, congralutations.

As distributor in the chimneyfree segment I am very interested.

Get your patent soon and please contact me.

Maybe I can help you with getting it produced or in any way I want to sell in Europe.

Succes and keep me posted.

Holy 5 year old thread, Batman.

What the OP has is not a water fueled heater, or an HHO powered heater, it is a Rube Goldberg inspired electric space heater, and assuming the whole contraption is located in the conditioned space it provides exactly what any other electric resistance heater provides, 3.41 BTUs for each watthour consumed. Actually, it probably provides less due to the unwanted chemical reactions in the electrolyzer, imperfect combustion of the hydrogen, and plain system leaks.

This guy should sell an "Infrared" electric cube heater or a fake "Amish" electric fireplace instead, at least then he would make some coin while scamming the public out of their money for yet another space heater.

I laugh then cry every time someone mentions HHO or any of the other various gas-saver/over-unity devices, like a video I saw of a huge trunk sized electrolyzer using 1500 watts that only managed to make a lawnmower engine idle, that same 2HP worth of electricity could likely have powered an electric motor that would have spun that mower engine to destruction.
    To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

There is no "E" in either BluVac or Blu-ray Disc.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by danielthechskid View Post
    Holy 5 year old thread, Batman.

What the OP has is not a water fueled heater, or an HHO powered heater, it is a Rube Goldberg inspired electric space heater, and assuming the whole contraption is located in the conditioned space it provides exactly what any other electric resistance heater provides, 3.41 BTUs for each watthour consumed. Actually, it probably provides less due to the unwanted chemical reactions in the electrolyzer, imperfect combustion of the hydrogen, and plain system leaks.

This guy should sell an "Infrared" electric cube heater or a fake "Amish" electric fireplace instead, at least then he would make some coin while scamming the public out of their money for yet another space heater.

I laugh then cry every time someone mentions HHO or any of the other various gas-saver/over-unity devices, like a video I saw of a huge trunk sized electrolyzer using 1500 watts that only managed to make a lawnmower engine idle, that same 2HP worth of electricity could likely have powered an electric motor that would have spun that mower engine to destruction.
    Yeah, it makes me want to /facepalm every time someone starts in on a discussion of stuff like this.

I gave up following the over unity and zero point energy chuckleheads.
    When one of them comes up with an actual device that is available for public scrutiny, I'll pay attention again.

And by public scrutiny, I don't mean "donate" thousands of dollars and get rewarded with an in person demonstration where you are not allowed to touch it or inspect it closely like one scam "charity" outfit does.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.