Carrier Heat Pump Info/Educucation

There is a loud whistling noise in the outdoor unit near what seems to be coming from the Reversing Valve. I'm hoping to get some info from Heat Pump Techs at this site. My Ambient Temp outside to day was 30 degreesFaren. Suction Pressure at the compressor was about 30 lbs.. Vapor Line Pressure/Temp going indoors in the heating mode was 150lb at 188degrees. Liquid Lind press/temp coming from Indoor Unit in the heating mode was 110 lb at 70 degrees. Now here is my questions. Inlet to Reversing Valve from Outddor Coil temp is 25 degrees, Outlet from Reversing Valve (Suction Line to compresssor) was 70 degrees. This did not seem to be normal to have a large temp rise going to compressor. Discharge line temp from compressor (6") was 230 degrees. Can someone give me some input please...?

Defective reversing valve.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Definitely reversing valve trouble. Anything more than a two degree rise in suction gas temp across the valve indicates it is defective.

Thank-you Mr Plain Spoken and Mr R422A for a confirmation. I guess I know what lies ahead. Any tricks of the trade suggestions in changing out a reversing valve? Again thank-you both..

Hold on cowboys.....let's get some more readings please.

Dear Leathernecke5,

First and foremost, you have not given us here at this forum enough operating data to make a clear-cut and definite diagnosis of your particular unit problem. Please do the following and post the information you obtain:

Start the system in the heating mode and let the system operate for a minimum of 10 minutes to allow the system to stabilize. Then obtain the following operating information:

Outside dry bulb air
    Return dry bulb air
    Supply dry bulb air
    Suction pressure
    Discharge pressure
    Liquid line dry bulb temperature
    Compressor RLA or FLA
    Compressor operating amps
    Suction line temperature 6” upstream of the compressor
    Discharge line temperature 6” downstream of the compressor

Usually the above operating information is all one needs to be pointed in the right direction as to the “root cause” of the unit’s problems, but based on the information you posted could you please obtain four additional reading as well:

The surface temperatures of all four refrigeration lines in and out of the reversing valve as measured 6” away from the valve itself.

With the above information I’m confident that an accurate diagnoses can be made of your unit’s problem(s).

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

PS: R422a’s diagnoses of the unit’s problem(s) may or may not be correct, without the above information requested; I would be extremely hesitant to jump to a conclusion at this point. At least one set of operating temperatures puzzles me at this point. They are the discharge temperature posted at 230 degrees F and discharge inlet to the reversing valve as posted at 188 degrees F, that a difference of 42 degrees F over a course of a few inches (18” to 36”)?????? This system could simply be low on refrigerant as well.

As I stated earlier the Suction Temp six inches or so from the compressor was 70 degrees at 30 lbs Sat Temp. The temp at the discharge line of the compressor was 230 degrees. There was around 23 degreess coming into the reversing valve and temp rose to 50 degrees or so just about six inches from the reversing valve in the suction line to compressor. The 230 degrees was 6 inches from the compressor and the 180 degrees line temp was taken on the vapor line just out of the outdoor unit approximately 10 inches away from the outdoor unit. I recovered the referigerant today feeling confident that the reversing valve was leaking by but I didn't change the valve yet supplier had to order. I recovered the Ref to check and know the amount. By losing the temp from 230 degrees to 180 degrees after it goes thru the reversing valve gave me the assurance I think that is it. However I didn't change it yet...

You are still but guessing at the root cause of this unit's problems

Dear Leathernecke5,

You need not post the data you have already posted friend, what I needed was the data you DID NOT post in your original thread opener. Your starting down the path of component replacement WITHOUT an accurate diagnoses friend.

Hint: The existing revering valve is supporting a low side of 30 PSIG while supporting a high side of 150 PSIG...........the reversing valve could be leaking through, but thats a rather good differential for a leaking reversing valve.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton