+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Reach In Refrigerator/Freezer

Post Likes

Best Reach In Refrigerator/Freezer

Hi Guys,

Going back in the restaurant business after 20 years of being smart.

I want to buy new 23 cu ft reach in fridge/freezer but I'm on a budget of $3-4,000 for both. I'm confused by all the new brands, are all the Korean made brands junk? Is True as bad as they say?

What brand do you guys think is the best value in my price range?

Thanks!!!

Post Likes
    IMO Traulsen and Continental are at the top of the quality list. Whatever you decide to buy, keep the coils clean, whether doing it yourself or thru a maintenance contract. Dirt is the number 1 factor that kills units.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Is Traulsen still being made?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Is Traulsen still being made?
    Believe so. Factory is in Ft Worth TX. I think they and Kairak have merged under the Hobart conglomerate. Kairak is shutting down its factory in CA.

I stand corrected: ITW Food Equipment Group–North America is the parent organization of independent companies such as Hobart (www.hobartcorp.com), Traulsen (www.traulsen.com), Baxter (www.baxterbakery.com), Stero (www.stero.com), Vulcan (www.vulcanequipment.com), Wittco (www.wittco.com) and Wolf (www.wolfequipment.com), all of which design and manufacture commercial food equipment for foodservice and grocery customers.

I think Kairak is still tied in there somewhere...per an email I got from them recently regarding a part I needed for a VULCAN (not a typo) refrigerator.

Post Likes
    Continental hand down. I have many customers with them. They just keep running

Quote Originally Posted by woodman318 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I want to buy new 23 cu ft reach in fridge/freezer but I'm on a budget of $3-4,000 for both. I'm confused by all the new brands, are all the Korean made brands junk? Is True as bad as they say?

Thanks!!!

Post Likes
    You might check out Hoshizaki. They are well built, and have some nice features like a high head safety, and a recessed door gasket. Three years parts and labor warranty, built in the USA.

http://www.hoshizakiamerica.com/CommercialRI.asp
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Yes they are the very top of the line. I think the gentleman said something about a budget. I think they are hi dollar, but maybe I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    You might check out Hoshizaki. They are well built, and have some nice features like a high head safety, and a recessed door gasket. Three years parts and labor warranty, built in the USA.

http://www.hoshizakiamerica.com/CommercialRI.asp

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Yes they are the very top of the line. I think the gentleman said something about a budget. I think they are hi dollar, but maybe I am wrong.
    The OP isn't going to get a r/i cooler and a r/i freezer for 3-4K as he indicated. The Hoshi's are a middle priced line that I think offer the best value/price ratio.

But if he wants to go cheap- how about a nice used Koldtech from Vietnam?
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=baub;15598741]The OP isn't going to get a r/i cooler and a r/i freezer for 3-4K as he indicated. The Hoshi's are a middle priced line that I think offer the best value/price ratio.

Looks like I'm choosing between Hoshizaki Commercial and Traulsen G-series to best fit my budget.

Considering p price, reliability and parts cost, which would be your choice between the two?

Thanks for all the opinions guys,

Woodman318

Post Likes
    Continentals are good! They are easy to service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I always thought Traulsons were a B*Tch to work on. Just my opinion though. Where are you located?
    [QUOTE=woodman318;15600071]
    Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    The OP isn't going to get a r/i cooler and a r/i freezer for 3-4K as he indicated. The Hoshi's are a middle priced line that I think offer the best value/price ratio.

Looks like I'm choosing between Hoshizaki Commercial and Traulsen G-series to best fit my budget.

Considering p price, reliability and parts cost, which would be your choice between the two?

Thanks for all the opinions guys,

Woodman318

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=lytning;15600851]I always thought Traulsons were a B*Tch to work on. Just my opinion though. Where are you located?

I am in Knoxville, TN.

Post Likes
    what do you guys think of Beverage Air

Post Likes
    I repair a lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post

Post Likes
    Hi Guys,

Thanks!!!
    Traulsen are worse for working on, yet overall they are a fine reach in. I actually like True. They make a fine reach in, which is easier to work on if you will be doing your own maintenance. I find parts cheaper and usually on hand without having to wait for them to arrive. Obviously, things like evap fans are often the same for each of them. I am out of Jackson, TN and Knoxville is only slightly beyond anywhere I do work. I was discussing doing work in Maryville, yet it was just to far. My point is that I am familiar with your area, though I don't actually do any work that far east.

Post Likes
    Wow just checked the True site and they are making units marketed for resi. I wonder if they are still US made and who is gonna fix them.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    I've got a number of R12 units still out there that are still running. The 134a units are no better than True.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    are all the Korean made brands junk? Is True as bad as they say?

Performance wise they work fine, but the construction is cheap. The metal is so thin that after a year of kitchen use they look 10 years old with all the dents. Also many of the edges are VERY sharp due to the thin metal. The last turboaire I worked on was made in China, not even Korea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Performance wise they work fine, but the construction is cheap. The metal is so thin that after a year of kitchen use they look 10 years old with all the dents. Also many of the edges are VERY sharp due to the thin metal. The last turboaire I worked on was made in China, not even Korea.
    How good are the 601 Sub Zero units? Reliability and repair?

Found a pair (fridge/freezer) of 2002 models.

Post Likes
    I know nothing about Hoshizaki.

I'm a big Traulsen fan - I have a two door Traulsen reach-in freezer that has been running for 29 years. Replaced both fan last December.

$50.00 in maintenance cost in 29 years I think that's pretty good!

But, like 2sac wrote you have to keep you coil clean

I also have three Traulsen reach-in fridges (one two doors and two single doors) - One is 29 years old but was converted from R22 to 134a about 10 years ago because the original compressor would not hold the new 38 requirement (did well at 41)

My 6x10 walk-in freezer is a Vollrath, 21 years and only changed 2 evap fan and one comp fan.

I'll stay away from cheap stuff - You might save initially but lose on maintenance cost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in