Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Digital Scroll Replacement

I have a non-pumping digital scroll in a tandem configuration. Solenoid disabled, it simply doesn't pump. Carrier 30RAP050. Does anyone know whether just the digital compressor can be replaced, or must the pair be replaced. The Distributor doesn't know, and after two days I still don't have any word back from them. Supposedly they're waiting on word from commercial tech support on this. They have the digital scroll in stock, but AFAIK any tandem set must be replaced as a set. I'm hoping some of you have some insight on this. I've replaced the set on every tandem configuration that I've done, and IIRC I've never been given an option.

Well I just found the bulletin posted by rundawg. Seems I need to replace the solenoid, it could be stuck. I didn't know that it was screwed into the side of the compressor. Appearance were that it was internal. I'd still like to know whether the compressors must be replaced as a set if anyone knows.

If it is the compressor, Copeland says to replace both.

Thanks duckman.

Hi medic. Don't have anything to add but a question.
    I'm wondering how you diagnosed this. Seems that it would be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Hi medic. Don't have anything to add but a question.
    I'm wondering how you diagnosed this. Seems that it would be problematic.
    You can disable digital operation for testing purposes. If the solenoid proves to be the problem I'll probably leave it disabled permanently. So far I've only diagnosed that it isn't pumping. Cycling the unloading solenoid off and on doesn't cause any changes in pressure or amperage, SST and SDT are equal to fluid temp and ambient temp respectively. The compressor isn't making any unusual noise so I strongly suspect it's just stuck in an unloaded state rather than broken.

Let us know the out come of your solenoid replacement I would like to know in the future that I am not replacing a compressor as no fault found.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    You can disable digital operation for testing purposes. If the solenoid proves to be the problem I'll probably leave it disabled permanently. So far I've only diagnosed that it isn't pumping. Cycling the unloading solenoid off and on doesn't cause any changes in pressure or amperage, SST and SDT are equal to fluid temp and ambient temp respectively. The compressor isn't making any unusual noise so I strongly suspect it's just stuck in an unloaded state rather than broken.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Let us know the out come of your solenoid replacement I would like to know in the future that I am not replacing a compressor as no fault found.
    Will do. The solenoid should be in tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping to get it installed early next week. I avoid working on critical chillers on Friday afternoons when it isn't absolutely necessary. This is feeding a large telephone company CO. As long as the ambient stays below 90 three compressors will keep em cool.

I have a non-pumping digital scroll in a tandem configuration. Solenoid disabled, it simply doesn't pump. Carrier 30RAP050. Does anyone know whether just the digital compressor can be replaced, or must the pair be replaced. The Distributor doesn't know, and after two days I still don't have any word back from them. Supposedly they're waiting on word from commercial tech support on this. They have the digital scroll in stock, but AFAIK any tandem set must be replaced as a set. I'm hoping some of you have some insight on this. I've replaced the set on every tandem configuration that I've done, and IIRC I've never been given an option.

Well I just found the bulletin posted by rundawg. Seems I need to replace the solenoid, it could be stuck. I didn't know that it was screwed into the side of the compressor. Appearance were that it was internal. I'd still like to know whether the compressors must be replaced as a set if anyone knows.
    It may have 2 compressors on the circuit but it certainly isn't a tandam compressor set up as York uses/used. I don't know the answer for sure but have yet to replace 2 compressors on a 30 series AquaSnap unless both compressors on the same circuit were bad. Make sure to use nitrogen and replace the filters though.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    It may have 2 compressors on the circuit but it certainly isn't a tandam compressor set up as York uses/used. I don't know the answer for sure but have yet to replace 2 compressors on a 30 series AquaSnap unless both compressors on the same circuit were bad. Make sure to use nitrogen and replace the filters though.

...Ron
    I'm afraid you lost me there. It's definitely tandem. But I agree there's no point in replacing the good compressor too. I just don't trust the distributor to provide any necessary coupling kit or whatever. They sent me a LL solenoid instead of the DUS that I ordered, doesn't tend to improve my confidence in them.

I'm afraid you lost me there. It's definitely tandem. But I agree there's no point in replacing the good compressor too. I just don't trust the distributor to provide any necessary coupling kit or whatever. They sent me a LL solenoid instead of the DUS that I ordered, doesn't tend to improve my confidence in them.
    Maybe I should have explained what a tandem compressor is. York builds or used to build condensers with tandem compressors that always run in tandem, or at the same time when a call for cooling is made. They are a matched set from the factory, that's why you want to replace both compressors when one fails.

On that Carrier AquaSnap unit you have 2 compressors on one circuit that can run individually or independantly which is the reason why you don't need to replace both compressors when one fails.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Maybe I should have explained what a tandem compressor is. York builds or used to build condensers with tandem compressors that always run in tandem, or at the same time when a call for cooling is made. They are a matched set from the factory, that's why you want to replace both compressors when one fails.

On that Carrier AquaSnap unit you have 2 compressors on one circuit that can run individually or independantly which is the reason why you don't need to replace both compressors when one fails.

...Ron
    I appreciate the input Ron.

...Ron
    I was under the impression that in a tandem or dual compressor circuit that you should replace both because whatever affected the compressor that croaked will effect the remaining one, aka acid from burn out moisture, or whatever and then when that one burns out or dies it will take out the new one down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron604 View Post
    I was under the impression that in a tandem or dual compressor circuit that you should replace both because whatever affected the compressor that croaked will effect the remaining one, aka acid from burn out moisture, or whatever and then when that one burns out or dies it will take out the new one down the road.
    Fortunately we have tools to keep this from happening. Using an acid neutralizer and a dryer or replaceable core dryer with acid removing capacity will pretty much solve those issues for the most part. You need to use acid tests, refrigerant acid tube things, or even a Totaline test kit and use them regularly on any system that may be suspect of having trouble.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOTAL-TEST-2...item2c6e3fd5f9

Keep up the studying, there's plenty of things that I am still lost at. Eventually we all get it or don't.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast