Plugged inducer port on RUUD furnace. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I ran into the same problem on two calls this winter. One unit was about 12 years old and the other was about 3 years old. On both I pulled the motors and cleaned the obstruction from the inside. I used an orifice bit (same size as the port) I also inspected the flu and burners. Both units were burning correctly with the correct gas pressure. The only thing that they had in common was the blown in insulation. The real fluffy white stuff and the installers were not very careful and had gotton some around and on top of the units. The obstruction was pale and crusty, somewhat like the stuff you get around a standing pilot orifice that dirty.

Haven't had a call back yet.

Does the gas pipe have a drip leg before the burners? Could be water in gas.

The units have drip legs. I am thinking its some kind of product of combustion that is drying in the inducer port. I have taken the draft inducer off and there is no other deposits anywhere else. Not in the houseing or on the blower wheel.

has anyone asked the mfg about this?I incountered this 3 times out of some
    2000 installs. weatherking mfg. i think we need this tested by CSI investigations. Once i cleared out the area i never had it come back again. What i discribe is it looked like a very thin layer of dryed example like glue.it would crumble into little flaks. Is it possible that a drain problem caused water to reach this area of the plug/hose/inducerhouseing to leave this thin layer?

Is it possible that the pressure switches were contaminated prior to installation in the furnace? Try removing the switch and shaking it. I have seen this a couple times. Replacing the pressure switch solved it.

I have changed the pressure switch on one of the furnaces. I dissasembled the pressure switch and didnt find anything abnormal. I have an appointment to stop by in another week to see if that has helped. The 2 furnaces that I am having problems with have 2 different types of pressure switches, one metal, one plastic.

Are both units doing this?

What type of environment are the furnaces in? (i.e. closet in hair salon...basement with paint supplies, laundry room with soaps and fabric softeners...)

Both units are doing the same thing. The units are in laundry rooms, but they are 2 pipe sealed combustion systems. I have checked to make sure that everything is sealed up tight. I have thought about the chemical theory. Maybe the front door wasnt very tight at one time and something that was in the air got in there. But, we have over 600 of the same units out there, all in laundry rooms.

venter fix

had similar problem once before. ventor housing was metal and painted on the inside. the paint would gradually curl inside near pressure switch tap covering the opening,when system shut down and cool venter housing paint would uncurl back to original position showing good pressures @ tap. had to remove venter and clean off paint.may not be related to your problem but good to know.

This unit has a black plastic draft inducer with no paint.

Quote Originally Posted by nashent1 View Post
    Both units are doing the same thing. The units are in laundry rooms, but they are 2 pipe sealed combustion systems. I have checked to make sure that everything is sealed up tight. I have thought about the chemical theory. Maybe the front door wasnt very tight at one time and something that was in the air got in there. But, we have over 600 of the same units out there, all in laundry rooms.

You stated one switch is plastic and one metal...based on that and other info you've given I think there is something unique about this residence as opposed to the other several hundred you have installed. Whether it be the brand of laundry detergent they use or cleanliness of the laundry room something has to be different...let us know what you determine.

Port problems back again

I replaced the draft inducer at the end of February and checked it a couple times in the following months. The port was clean every time. We didnt have any problems all winter and then 2 weeks ago, the home owner called back and now the inducer port is plugging up again every few days. Has anyone else seen this or have any more ideas?

Replaced ID unit end of Feb./07? Same thing this yr (08?) Weather change - recirc of comb. gases? Vent terminals need extensions? Easy to try with coupling & peice of pipe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast