Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does Trane RAUCCC25 Condenser Leak?

Our 2003 Trane RAUCCC25 condenser leaks, and it is the second coil in this machine. The Trane condensing unit (1990) before the latest one leaked too. I know the RAUDs had a service bulletin for a Kit??

Any thoughts?

probably leaking in the return bend tubing header, right? probably near the top? i have had many of these. i think that it is just the way the machine makes the coils sometimes...you can have one leak constantly and the next serial number is tight as a drum forever. you may want to check for excessive vibration though. condensor fans and compressors. you may have a resonant frequency that is causing this unit to fail. i doubt it, but you never know.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

The coils are made as thin as possible for better heat transfer. Unfortunately this hurts longetivity of the coils.

RAUCC coils

It is extremely important when replacing these coils to check that the new coil is installed correctly . By that I mean square ,measure corner to corner to check ,if it is not installed square then the tube sheet will rub on the very thin wall of the tube and cause new leaks.

graham is right! Proper rigging of the coil is essential and forcing it into place will only damage it. Be very delicate.

Is the unit setting level on the slab? I seen a lot of rentals leak because they were set on the ground with a few boards under them.

Trane Condenser Coil

Thank you for all he comments, but with all due respect, I have to challenge the "not square" opinion because if this is true, why do brand new units leak? Is the Trane factory missing square? I have them leak in the middle of the sheet and this has been a problem for all the older Trane products in our plant.

Any other thoughts?

it is looseness (is that a word?) in the tube sheet. i have not had very many that leak there but when they do, what a b!tch they are to fix. when i find one, i usually try to braze up a few tubes around the leak to the tube sheet to help add stiffness.

i do not really know why some leak, i can only speculate. probably like graham said...very thin tubes (helps with heat transfer, cost and shipping weight) are to blame. but all things said, i have a lot of these, and most are trouble free. it seems that if i have one that is a troublemaker, it gets all of the leaks from year to year. maybe the machines are not calibrated often enough or the guys that brazed that unit were at lunch too long...again, i am just speculating.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Trane Coils

I'm surpised no one has recommended a vibration eliminater pipe in the discharge line because I'm told that Trane has recommended it for other machines, but not this one.

I would like to fix this once and for all, so maybe my next approach is the A/C crew to look closer. If I ever come up with a cure, I'll share it.

i do not normally see much vibration from a "normal" unit. i do see cracked fan blades, bad cond fan motors, etc.

these units do not have start counters on them, but if you had many compressor starts (and you also get many cond fan motor starts with them) that could look like vibration to everything. that start up has the most vibration of anything but that vibration is considered normal. if you have a problem child unit, you might consider installing a start counter. this would at least prove/disprove a theory.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Trane Condenser Coil

I'm continuing to speculate, and I question the leaky condensing unit installed on a membrane roof, neoprene isolators, and onto two PT 4*4. The Trane installation book mentions two ways of installing: isolated or concrete pads or footings at each load point (corners I guess), or neoprene or spring isolators.

Is it possible that the roof location is the cause of the coil leak problem because it allows the unit to move too much.

This is the second condensing unit on this roof and both have gone through countless condenser coils. I have checked the level of this machine to be perfect. I wish my house was so straight.

I have replaced a few on Voyager gas-pac's.

I've got a tech that swears that if you don't keep the condensers on Trane chillers clean, they will start leaking. He did a lot of chiller work before he came here. Just throwing things out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast