Thread: Broilmaster

Broilmaster

Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    Point well taken. I have four grills. As a self-proclaimed master chef over a grill, if you find another great grill for a cheap price, you're REQUIRED to purchase it. My bragging rights is my $300 Weber Performer (charcoal) grill I picked up at a yard sale for $5. Ten years later and I still use it at least once a week. Gotta natural gas Broil King & a Master Forge LP smoker I use less often. For camping, an Aussie LP grill.

Sometimes things go right. Good for you Mikey!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

PHM
    ------
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

I'm in paris right now but I'll get some pics then I get back next month

Broilmaster no longer has the green bbq paint available, and hasn't for some years, but I managed to score two cans not too long ago.

I'll get some pics.

That reminds me: the porcelain cooking grate are NLA too - in favor of all-stainless rod grates. Which not only require constant oiling but also give a sloppy quadrillage. The porcelain grates are diamond shapes - pointy top and bottom - so they burn in like a branding iron. I got NOS porcelain grates for the P3 but I'm still looking for them for the D4 head.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.