Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My AC took a DIVE, New AC Needed Dallas, TX (maybe I can use one of you guys?)

Have a (2) 10 year old 4 Ton Lennox AC Units that are Builder Grade. Upstairs was used 40% as much as downstairs for last 6 years. My Downstairs Unit's Compressor is Done, so need a New AC & Gas Furnace.

House is 3,800 sq ft. total., measured entire outside of house and went in attic and suggested fixing loose ductwork at boxes.

Here is what one person suggested on 4/6/2013 (been busy and they never called me back so I am going to do this soon:

Amana ASXC16 (4 Ton 16 Seer)
    Amana AMVC8/ADVC8 Variable Speed Gas Furnace
    Warranty: 10 years Parts and 3 Years Labor
    Compressor Warranty is LIFETIME
    Evaporator Coil Warranty LIFETIME
    Heat Exchange Warranty LIFETIME
    Adding Attic Tent
    Adding 5" Filter to New unit, AND to OLD existing Lennox Unit
    Seal All Duct Work

I read rules and can't publically List Price of the above. So I won't. I was looking at Trane and wasn't keen on Amana, but he said it was good.

Questions:

Is Amana ASXC16 a good unit?
    is the Variable Speed Gas Furnace Good?
    What other unit would you suggest?
    Anything else I should Ask?

Anybody local to Dallas want to take a look at this or offer suggestions? I live near Flower Mound, TX (25 miles North of Dallas). Let me know or PM me.

Sorry, email addresses are not permitted in post.

Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-16-2013 at 06:30 AM. Reason: email address

Quote Originally Posted by TexasACBandit View Post
    Have a (2) 10 year old 4 Ton Lennox AC Units that are Builder Grade. Upstairs was used 40% as much as downstairs for last 6 years. My Downstairs Unit's Compressor is Done, so need a New AC & Gas Furnace.

House is 3,800 sq ft. total., measured entire outside of house and went in attic and suggested fixing loose ductwork at boxes.

Here is what one person suggested on 4/6/2013 (been busy and they never called me back so I am going to do this soon:

Amana ASXC16 (4 Ton 16 Seer)
    Amana AMVC8/ADVC8 Variable Speed Gas Furnace
    Warranty: 10 years Parts and 3 Years Labor
    Compressor Warranty is LIFETIME
    Evaporator Coil Warranty LIFETIME
    Heat Exchange Warranty LIFETIME
    Adding Attic Tent
    Adding 5" Filter to New unit, AND to OLD existing Lennox Unit
    Seal All Duct Work

I read rules and can't publically List Price of the above. So I won't. I was looking at Trane and wasn't keen on Amana, but he said it was good.

Questions:

Is Amana ASXC16 a good unit?
    is the Variable Speed Gas Furnace Good?
    What other unit would you suggest?
    Anything else I should Ask?

Anybody local to Dallas want to take a look at this or offer suggestions? I live near Flower Mound, TX (25 miles North of Dallas). Let me know or PM me.

Sorry, email addresses are not permitted in post.

Thanks
    mark beiser should be in your area I think. Edit your Email and enter in your profile
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-16-2013 at 06:30 AM. Reason: removed email address from post

I added it AND it's in my Post. Thank You!

Make sure they measure the house and do a load calculation, don't just go by the size of the existing system.
    Contrary to popular belief, builders almost never undersize, most new homes in the DFW area are built with AC systems that are somewhere from moderately to grossly over sized.
    They never actually perform at their rated capacity though, because the duct system design and installation is typically extremely bad.

an energy audit, or at least a blower door test, would be a good thing to have too.
    The thermal and pressure envelopes of homes in this area are also typically very bad.
    If your house has "walkout" attic spaces, look and see if the ends of the floor trusses are sealed, or if they are open to the attic space. If they are open, they need to be sealed.
    Non air tight recessed light fixtures(can lights) are also a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    mark beiser should be in your area I think. Edit your Email and enter in your profile
    We don't service the Dallas area.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Sorry, email addresses are not permitted in post, only in your profile. Also, regular guest don't have PM ability.

Might want to try the Contractor locator map link in my sig.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hav a load calculation done. Even in Dallas area, 4 tons for a downstairs system in a newer home seems a little big unless maybe you have no shade and a ton of windows. You'll need the smallest furnace that can support you blower capacity for cooling.

Make sure they measure the house and do a load calculation, don't just go by the size of the existing system.

THEY DID They the entire house (inside and out) took them 30 minutes. I needed a 4 ton for sure, 3800 sq feet and I DO have lots of windows that shoot sunlight in Big Windows (They are Tinted, but barely helps).

Is Amana any good, or that particular unit? What about the Gas Heater?

SOrry, I thought 3800sqft was the whole house and this unit was just for the downstairs. I thought thsi unit cooled only 1700sqft. In which case 4 tons is HUGE. A well constructed and insualted home there shouldnt; need more than 5-6 tons total for a home that size and usually the upstairs needs a lot more cooling capaicty, but less heating proportionally.

Yes, House IS 3,800 TOTAL! So 1,850 for downstairs. He measured everything and it's not always sq. ft. but other factors as well. I have Advent Air's Comfort Consultant (sales Guy) coming out Friday April 19th.

The other guy that gave me the quote for the Amana was an installer himself and took a lot of time to check everything out. Still no one has said if that Amana ASXC16 is any good?

Thanks so much for all your replies!

wow 4 tons for 1800sqft downstairs. Hmmm. I cool my while 1700sqft 1st floor with 2 tons. It does have moderate shade and SE Iowa design conditions are not Dallas, but it's not 1/2. I suspect your closer to 3 tons and the contractors fudged some numbers or used the wrong design temperatures. I'm just saying that if you house both floors combined actually need 7 or 8 tons, then you should have electric bills pushing maybe $500 or more in mid summer.

Tha Amana is a nice 2 stage unit with communicating capabilty with the Comfortnet controller. The CTK03 is a pretty slick thermostat mathing most all others out there except maybe the top of the line Carrier Infinity and Trane thermostats when zoning is involved. Amana (made by Goodman) doesn't have as good of a reputation, but installed correctly it's as good as any other brand. Installation is everything.

Yes, House IS 3,800 TOTAL! So 1,850 for downstairs. He measured everything and it's not always sq. ft. but other factors as well.
    If the entire downstairs is under the conditioned space of the upstairs, I'd question any load calculation that came up with a 4 ton load, unless the house is built like a barn.

If you really do have factors that ridiculously increase the load during part of the day, like massive west facing windows, look to mitigate the heat gain from them.

Thank you MotoGuy and Mark I really appreciate your opinions and expertise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I have Large West Windows in the Living Room that POUND the SUN into the room (The 2 largest Windows in Living Room at the TOP/2nd level of the Living Room are 9 feet tall by 8 feet wide, Each Window). My Living Room has 20 foot ceilings and is very open. Even with Tinted Windows it is Hot and super bright in that room when sun is out.

I have a 2nd company coming Friday April 19th, so I will see what THEY say and report. Advent Air (In Business 20+ years). Rated as 5 Star on the Trane Web-Site and on Review Sites like Yelp. The First Guy with The Amana is an installer and owns his own company for the last 10 years and I FEEL GREAT that he would install correctly. He seemed to know his stuff.

I have an ADT Alarm and recently bought 2 Z-Wave RCS TZ45 Thermostats that I can control with IPhone and the ADT Pulse Security System. He is installing those for me too IF he gets the business. If I go with him, I better make sure he gives me the Thermostats that come with the Amana System too in case I ever get rid of ADT in the future which will render the ADT Security remote access useless. He likely wasn't going to give those to me, but I need to confirm and tell him too. I wish I could say the price on here to see if it is fair. I am poor as it is, and if I had a crystal ball I would say I might be Nice try Poorer in the Near Future.

Thanks Again and remember guys, Always Keep a Cool Head!

Bandit.......................
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-17-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Price

Thank you MotoGuy and Mark I really appreciate your opinions and expertise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I have Large West Windows in the Living Room that POUND the SUN into the room (The 2 largest Windows in Living Room at the TOP/2nd level of the Living Room are 9 feet tall by 8 feet wide, Each Window). My Living Room has 20 foot ceilings and is very open. Even with Tinted Windows it is Hot and super bright in that room when sun is out.
    Typically rooms like that will have ducts serving it from both the upstairs and downstairs system.
    In reality, it should have its own system, or at least be part of a zoned system, with its own temperature control so you can cool that area down during the part of the day that the load in that area is high, without over cooling the areas that don't need as much cooling.

Yours sounds like a fairly typical setup that style of house. Without special attention to handle the fairly extreme load diversity between the open high ceiling entry/living area, and the rest of the house, there likely will always be issues with uneven and/or unsatisfactory cooling and heating performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast