Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walk IN cooler Outdoor Condenser

How do I apply for pro status...in the past I have received a lot of rude comments because I didnt have the "status" as a pro even though I have been doing this for 8 years.

Im having a little trouble with a walk in cooler, Its an R22 system. It was making a strange noise today, almost like the refrigerant was tring to pass through a turbulent spot or a hole causing quite the vibration. It did this for a while and stopped, but the unit was still working like it was supposed to.

60 degree day, box temperature was 32-34

Low side, Around 30 psi
    Liquid side, 160-170
    SH - 38-42
    SC - 1-3

I inherited this equipment and I am still trying to figure out what has all been done to it in the past. In checking out the sub cool I discovered the liquid line coming out of the compressor, before the condenser to be 165 degrees, The high side pressure before the condenser was the same though around 165. Where would it be picking up this extra heat from?

Quote Originally Posted by MSCO View Post
    How do I apply for pro status...in the past I have received a lot of rude comments because I didnt have the "status" as a pro even though I have been doing this for 8 years.

Im having a little trouble with a walk in cooler, Its an R22 system. It was making a strange noise today, almost like the refrigerant was tring to pass through a turbulent spot or a hole causing quite the vibration. It did this for a while and stopped, but the unit was still working like it was supposed to.

Low side, Around 30 psi
    Liquid side, 160-170
    SH - 38-42
    SC - 1-3

I inherited this equipment and I am still trying to figure out what has all been done to it in the past. In checking out the sub cool I discovered the liquid line coming out of the compressor, before the condenser to be 165 degrees, The high side pressure before the condenser was the same though around 165. Where would it be picking up this extra heat from?
    #1. Since you've got only one post, it is hard for me to reconcile that with your comment about rude comments in the past. Unless you've got a second account, this would be your first forum post.

#2. With only the information that you've provided, my semi-scientific WAG is low charge, but more information would be needed to make a proper determination.

Does the unit have a sightglass?

That box temperature is really low for a cooler, are we going for the coldest beer in town type thing or what?

Low side, Around 30 psi
    Liquid side, 160-170
    SH - 38-42
    SC - 1-3

The line between the compressor and the condenser is the discharge line, the refrigerant inside is a superheated gas, it is normally hot. Is the 38-42* superheat at the evaporator or at the compressor? Does the system have any kind of low ambient control like fan cycling or a headmaster. In a 60* ambient you should have better subcooling.

The strange noise, was it inside the cooler? at the condensing unit?

The owner wants it kind of low. Im still a little new to refrigeration, Ive done mostly HVAC. Apparently I did have another account, Strandon for the user name, also in reading past posts from other people I have notuiced this same trend...which is why it has taken me years to return.

Noise is coming from inside the cooler. I thought the discharge line before the condenser was supposed to be close to the saturation temperature of the PSI, it wasnt anywhere close. There is a dual pressure control on it, also a liquid line solenoid.

Whats the best way to set these units up for both winter and summer, the owner seemed to think there needs to be adjustments made to the units before each season.

It does have a sight glass, which is clear(all liquid)

If it has a receiver then there should't be a need for a seasonal charge adjustment. Sounds like there's something else going on. Do you maybe have video so we can hear the noise? Maybe describe it?

You've cleaned out the condenser coil? But it does make me think that it's low on charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does have a sight glass, which is clear(all liquid)
    Are you sure it's all liquid or could it be all vapor and that's why you're not seeing bubbles? Crazy high superheat, weird coil noise and no sub cooling, sounds short to me. The only thing that doesn't jive is the low box temperature. unless you're really working on a freezer, lol
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

What have you been doing for the past 8 yrs! Filters?

Im having a little trouble with a walk in cooler, Its an R22 system....

Low side, Around 30 psi
    Liquid side, 160-170
    SH - 38-42
    SC - 1-3
    You said you inherited this.

Your pressures and a temps are off for an R22 system. What's the compressor oil - min, POE, AB? All info from all refrigerant controls will help.

I can get a video when I get back that way, probably tomorrow. It sounds like high pressure trying to squeeze through a small opening. Think of a full balloon and pulling the inlet tight and letting the air out.

"KB Cool
    What have you been doing for the past 8 yrs! Filters?" Its stuff like this that I was talking about....if you dont have something constructive to say go back to your beer...and this is me biting my tongue so go bother someone else.

Its not a freezer, although there is a freezer identical to it that runs on 404a, with a few components different of course. And the sight glass is full... positive.

"KB Cool
    What have you been doing for the past 8 yrs! Filters?" Its stuff like this that I was talking about....if you dont have something constructive to say go back to your beer...and this is me biting my tongue so go bother someone else.
    Ya gotta look past such responses. Many here will test you on your qualifications when you're new. Too many come here that are DIYers - so the regulars get testy. However, stick around and get past their "indoctrination" and those "special" one's who relish in waving their finger in accusation.

There are plenty of others here that are willing to help once they're certain of your trade. There's allot that can be learned here to make you better at what you do. So - stick with it.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast