Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    We're every 6th week. The week before your real on call you're backup. This is my backup week should be fairly quiet.

If being on call is really that bad for you, then try to get a stationary position. You can do this as either a stationary engineer that works for the owner or property management company, or the less common route through a contractor. In some cases, contractors have enough accounts in a building, or a contract with the owner/ property management and have enough work to stay in that building year round. This often means that you will not have a truck.

This isn't the end all be all. The stationary engineers have shift work or overnight watch, but at least it's scheduled and you know you'll be there anyway.

I had the stationary tech gig with a contractor for a while, and we'd keep a spare set of keys in our shanty for the on call tech to get access to the different accounts should there be a need to. We'd take any calls during the day into the evening/night while there, but after that it was up to the on call guy.

However, there were a few times where I or someone else had to go in because the on call tech didn't know the account well enough or was tied up somewhere else over the weekend and such. It was really the closet thing to a consistent schedule that I've seen in this trade.
    Last edited by artman934; 04-16-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo

7 days a week almost 24 hr a day.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

We get an extra 5 hours on our check for the week just for being on call, if we get any calls or not.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    We get an extra 5 hours on our check for the week just for being on call, if we get any calls or not.
    We don't get anything. And the only time we get overtime is after we've worked 40 hours.

We get $5.00 a day being on call and on call every 3rd week

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

My nephew starts with us in may when he comes out of HVAC school... I told him he has to be on call every weekend the summer, part of initiation... :-)

I have it really easy now I'm only on call 1 of every 7 Weeks one of the prior companies I worked for was every other week. We get 3 hours pay to be on call and its overtime pay.

$5 a day? Or an hour?

$5 a day? Or an hour?
    Last edited by Grayline; 04-17-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: double tap

It alternates between me and another tech. If he's busy I will go on the call and it's the same thing if I've got something going on.. Really not a problem minus the fact that we do work with in two hours every direction of our location.. Some times it's as easy as us driving four hours round trip for a small fan motor change out or we could both end up on a call in the middle of the night to change a compressor in an emergency.. It really depends on the severity of the call..

Sent from my iStone using Tapatalk

One week on call, every three months.

Though, I do take more than that for the money when there is not enough scheduled overtime.

Our installers aren't on call and any service tech that's been with my company for 20+ years is not on the rotation, I'm on call for a week straight every 5th week. Every company is different though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast