+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who gets stuck being on call

Post Likes
    I have it really easy now I'm only on call 1 of every 7 Weeks one of the prior companies I worked for was every other week. We get 3 hours pay to be on call and its overtime pay.

Post Likes
    $5 a day? Or an hour?

Post Likes
    $5 a day? Or an hour?
    Last edited by Grayline; 04-17-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: double tap

Post Likes
    It alternates between me and another tech. If he's busy I will go on the call and it's the same thing if I've got something going on.. Really not a problem minus the fact that we do work with in two hours every direction of our location.. Some times it's as easy as us driving four hours round trip for a small fan motor change out or we could both end up on a call in the middle of the night to change a compressor in an emergency.. It really depends on the severity of the call..

Sent from my iStone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    One week on call, every three months.

Though, I do take more than that for the money when there is not enough scheduled overtime.

Post Likes
    Our installers aren't on call and any service tech that's been with my company for 20+ years is not on the rotation, I'm on call for a week straight every 5th week. Every company is different though.

Post Likes
    .. and I get an extra 3.5 hours on my check for my on call week even without a call and pays port to port with a call. Not really to shabby.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danstewart View Post
    My nephew starts with us in may when he comes out of HVAC school... I told him he has to be on call every weekend the summer, part of initiation... :-)
    I agree, anybody that is a new tech needs the exposure, and to get their a$$ handed to them on a thirty below weekend. I cant stand how whiney the new techs are around our shop. Ive taken call for three weekends in a row when it was good and cold out, and these guys whine about one weekend every five weeks

Post Likes
    nothing wrong with being on call. sissy.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    Management and Mechanical/Installers do not usually run on-call. Apprentices do not usually run on-call. I've been a service tech for 18 years and have always been in an on-call rotation. I currently run on-call every 3 months (5-7 M-F; S&S). Not a bad gig!

Post Likes
    I did once every 4-5 weeks for about 5 years...now it's one week every 4 months.

Post Likes
    every 4th week for the full week Monday -Monday. get $75 for the on call plus double time port to port.

Post Likes
    My last company had a good on call procedure. $40 the week your on call, 2 extra hours a day with a late start, and double time port to port. Would only have to run a couple calls a week, sometimes a few more when it is really hot or cold.

I'm back up on call now and had to fight with an old man for a half hour trying to collect on what should be warranty. Had to undo my work to get him to pay bosses orders. I'm getting real fed up with this sh!t. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Sorry had to vent.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    I'm back up on call now and had to fight with an old man for a half hour trying to collect on what should be warranty. Had to undo my work to get him to pay bosses orders. I'm getting real fed up with this sh!t. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Sorry had to vent.
    I have found that everytime I looked and saw the grass was greener you get over only to find it was growing on top of a septic tank.

Post Likes
    Currently, I'm on call always. I actually charge double time for outside normal hours, so I don't get a lot of odd hour calls except to ask if I can check first thing in the morning. To be honest, however, I frequently waive the extra for regualr costumers, if I don't think they were just messing with me to get it right now. I charge enough, and if a person I do work for regularly breaks something at midnight on a Saturday night that is important, it doesn't bother me to fix it than. I only charge the double time to prevent people from calling at odd hours over things that should wait, so if say a freezer goes out on the weekend I'll come in for regular price, if they are regular costumers. Basically, while I charge the double time for odd hours (after 6pm during the week and anytime over the weekend), I often waive it. I've not had anyone abusing me with needless trouble calls, yet. I've had weekend calls, infact last Friday night, I had one. I got the double time and they were happy that their stuff was up & running quick. That's the other thing about odd hour calls. Often, they require parts that won't be available till monday morning, hence frequently a friday night call will be a simply jumpering something till part houses open on Monday.

Post Likes
    Some like the extra work, and some would still complain even if you hung them with a new rope.

If you can't take being on call, quit. Someone else would jump at the chance to make some extra money.

The grass on the other side still has to be mowed, maintained, weeded, trimmed, and de-thatched if it is to remain green, healthy, and presentable.

That takes work and discipline. So what are you saying about yourselves?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danstewart View Post
    I have found that everytime I looked and saw the grass was greener you get over only to find it was growing on top of a septic tank.
    If the grass looks greener on the other side, try watering your own grass.

Post Likes
    I was out til midnight last nite and got a call at 6am, I hate the super early ones like that

Post Likes
    i am on call every fourth week . monday to monday. last on call week i worked seventy hours.

Post Likes
    we get 50 dollars for the on call week. and time and half for any hours over forty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in