Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    On call is a mind set. We're on call from Monday to Monday about once a month. During that week I just get it in my mind that I'm going to get called out. That way when I do it's not such a big deal. Luckily, we have a good team that takes care of their accounts, so the calls are pretty minimal. No "standby" pay, but we get $100 for being on call.

Where I currently live there is no compensation for on call service to the techs other than time and a half. One of the reasons I went out on my own! Figured if I was gonna make someone money it should be me! Now years later I had all but given up on residential hvac and went to predominately commercial kitchen repair. I am going into a new chapter of my life though...I am relocating to the Memphis, TN area to be nearer our grandkids and leave our stink hole of a town behind. Would have left earlier but had family here so stayed.

Not looking forward to being on call again but it comes with the territory...hope they have good compensation!

I must be stupid I guess i volunteer every weekend! or ask for one weekend off a month if i work 3 in a row. time and a half saturdays and double time sundays. I like the pay check

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    I must be stupid I guess i volunteer every weekend! or ask for one weekend off a month if i work 3 in a row. time and a half saturdays and double time sundays. I like the pay check
    There comes a point where too many hours won't be such a good paycheck for u, but uncle sams cut will be .

I cover the on call 6 nights a week from May 1st thru Oct 1st. I love it.

Our maintenance staff gets 2 hours of comp time for each day of being on call plus time and a half for being called out.

I've been on call for seven years. Compensated time and a half for hours billed. Given a hard time anytime I try to go away for a weekend or take a day off scheduled. Wouldnt mind so much but some time must be my own the company doesn't own me and since I tell them to shove off when push comes to shove and they keep me guess I'm doing something right

[QUOTE=coolperfect;15579081]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    Just wondering what kind of positions in this industry do not have to be on call?[/QUOTE Selling Perfume to the male customers!
    how bout selling perfumes to female customers? males dont buy perfumes, would be like selling ice to the Eskimos

OK,Eau De Toilette! I stand corrected! Selling men's Eau De Toilette to other men.A good job for a primadonna tech. Who does not want to be on call!

techs always fight the watch and whine it up....everytime it comes around...then you have the female in service who tells you don't plan anything the weekend is going to be a scorcher....if I wlak in on anything I never work on I get the work invoice from the last brain surgeon on it then call the SM....."hey do you want me on this thing"or get fred out who was here Friday...love it..works everytime.if I stay there it locks me up from taking other calls and the SM is the whippn' post..for the weekend...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I think my record for a hot weekend is about 15 calls,mostly computer rooms.

Whichever guy likes drinking beer more than he likes the 200 bucks he's gonna give me to take his!

after introducing yourself at an interview... first question is how often do i get the watch /night service,and how much do you pay to mentally be on stand by????..that sets the tone for the reset of the interview...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast