Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
Results 92 to 104 of 425
  1. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,376
    Thermo,
    Why is it so important to you to have an 100% accurate description of God?

    People do have a partial understanding of what the God Force is. Why would you say that limited understand is of no value? You seem to place 100% value or 0% value.

  2. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Thermo,
    Why is it so important to you to have an 100% accurate description of God?
    Brian, would you need for me to give a precise definition of a Himfrintrottonarse before your were willing to discuss such things?

    In fact, there is a good argument offered by some that there is a god and it is evidently supremely evil and the only reason why it permits some good here and there is so that we might better appreciate its supreme evil - look at all the evil around you - all evidence of that god.

    Should I ask such people for a more precise definition of their god? No, of course not, the idea of defining something unfathomable and ineffable and so basically undefinable is ludicrous.

    People do have a partial understanding of what the God Force is. Why would you say that limited understand is of no value? You seem to place 100% value or 0% value.
    Nope, no person can have any idea whatever, not even in the slightest, of what any marks or influences regarding gods would be like.

    There is no possibility of even knowing what is a limited understanding of any god - even that idea is of an impossibility. 1% of no possibility is still no possibility.

  3. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,551
    Thermo (Mark LOL) care to explain, prove how life was created without a God, Diety, etc. Thank you very much

  4. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Thermo (Mark LOL) care to explain, prove how life was created without a God, Diety, etc. Thank you very much
    Aliens.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  5. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,551
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Aliens.
    Dose aliens or alien stand for "God" in your book or then who created aliens? Yeah. Thank you very much

  6. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Dose aliens or alien stand for "God" in your book or then who created aliens? Yeah. Thank you very much
    Depends on your point of view. If you want to believe in the mysterious, then God(s). If not, why not aliens? They can have mystical powers as far as we perceive, but at least you could chalk it up to advanced science/farther up the developmental ladder. Read a good book years ago about one alien that was a 'god' type and another that was a 'devil' using the Earth and its inhabitants as a chess board. Who knows, why not? As far as who created the aliens, who created God?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  7. #98
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,287
    I have many Gods, they are all doing a great job for me, except the God of Sex.....Im a little disappointed in that one
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  8. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,551
    Well printer I can see this is bcoming a "circular" argument here and I got to get some rest. Carry this debate on next day. In the meam time I hope u don't croak on us here and go down under berfore you have had a chance to see the light and may God have mercy on your soul. Thank you, thank you very much

  9. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    Brian, would you need for me to give a precise definition of a Himfrintrottonarse before your were willing to discuss such things?

    In fact, there is a good argument offered by some that there is a god and it is evidently supremely evil and the only reason why it permits some good here and there is so that we might better appreciate its supreme evil - look at all the evil around you - all evidence of that god.

    Should I ask such people for a more precise definition of their god? No, of course not, the idea of defining something unfathomable and ineffable and so basically undefinable is ludicrous.

    Nope, no person can have any idea whatever, not even in the slightest, of what any marks or influences regarding gods would be like.

    There is no possibility of even knowing what is a limited understanding of any god - even that idea is of an impossibility. 1% of no possibility is still no possibility.
    I think you should add that you can only speak for yourself when you say nobody has ever felt a spiritual experience...which is to a lesser degree a Godly experience.

    I hear where you are going with this and I must say that you seem annoyed with people's belief in God. It's as though you want to stop them from doing so, that it does no good in a person life, that you are more right than they are and you want them them to admit they are wrong. It's as though you will get something out of that.

    I have to ask: Have you ever meditated and experienced prolonged alpha and theta brainwave levels? For a skeptic as yourself it is a good place to start opening yourself up to other forms of input.

  10. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Thermo (Mark LOL) care to explain, prove how life was created without a God, Diety, etc. Thank you very much
    That is very very difficult and possibly impossible. It could very well be that the universe was created by something like a god.

    The problem is - no body can know.

  11. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I think you should add that you can only speak for yourself when you say nobody has ever felt a spiritual experience...which is to a lesser degree a Godly experience.

    I hear where you are going with this and I must say that you seem annoyed with people's belief in God. It's as though you want to stop them from doing so, that it does no good in a person life, that you are more right than they are and you want them them to admit they are wrong. It's as though you will get something out of that.

    I have to ask: Have you ever meditated and experienced prolonged alpha and theta brainwave levels? For a skeptic as yourself it is a good place to start opening yourself up to other forms of input.
    The observation made is not that no one has ever had a spiritual experience - I'm sure these things happen all the time - it's whether what people think are the causes are actually the causes. And it is this that no body can know. If you think they can then you just don't understand what it means to know something.

    I might care to emphasize much of what I am saying but there is no annoyance. When someone calls me to tell me that they have measured the compressors suction subcool I will explain to them, with emphasis, that if they think it is subcool they are measuring on the compressor suction then they just don't understand the word "subcool".

    So to reiterate - whatever the causes of the experiences you speak of - even if they are caused by gods - no man could possibly know they are of gods.

    Importantly, that does not mean there are no gods and that does not mean the experiences are not of gods. Only that it would be dogmatic to hurdle right over the epistemic problems and just assume they are of gods.

  12. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    The observation made is not that no one has ever had a spiritual experience - I'm sure these things happen all the time...
    How can you be sure these things happen all the time? And, why would the cause of the event be more important than the authenticity of the event itself?

    With your high degree of needed verification before you are willing to label something, why stop at God? Why not question the existence of the the soul, an afterlife, any spiritual contact, intuition, psychic abilities, etc. Those are not fully understood either, yet you seem to accept them as real.

    This is my point. Your angst seems to start and stop with God.

  13. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    How can you be sure these things happen all the time? And, why would the cause of the event be more important than the authenticity of the event itself?

    With your high degree of needed verification before you are willing to label something, why stop at God? Why not question the existence of the the soul, an afterlife, any spiritual contact, intuition, psychic abilities, etc. Those are not fully understood either, yet you seem to accept them as real.

    This is my point. Your angst seems to start and stop with God.
    "Happens all the time" is a figure of speech.

    Tornadoes and hurricanes happen all the time - particularly down the Bible Belt of the USA. What this does not mean is that every where and always there is a hurricane.

    The likes of the God Helmet tells me that the experiences reported are real - they do happen - and surely they are not just induced by the likes of the god helmet - surely they can be induced by other natural phenomenon too.

    Now - here is the problem - there is no way at all that any such phenomenon could ever be AUTHENTICATED as a god experience.

    Why not?

    Because we have no idea whatever, none whatever, of what an authentic god experience is like. Nobody has any idea at all - not in the slightest - of what a god experience would be like. So there is no measuring rule for checking experiences in order to determine whether they were god experiences.

    I have a tape measure - I can check how close to a meter a piece of wood is.

    No body possesses a god experience ruler - therefore no body could ever measure an experience to check whether it was an authentic god experience.

    The very notion of an authentic god experience is nonsense -sheer and utter nonsense.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event