Thread: Flange Bearings

Flange Bearings

Does anyone have a good way to pull flange bearings? I need to replace a drive end bearing on a Trane AHU that has a 2 7/16 bore flange bearing. It may come off easy, put I think it will be hard to get off since you can’t get a puller behind it. I have removed smaller ones in the past by putting a screwdriver behind the flange on each side and brying it out to get it started, but the way this one looks, I don't think it will want to move.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Does anyone have a good way to pull flange bearings? I need to replace a drive end bearing on a Trane AHU that has a 2 7/16 bore flange bearing. It may come off easy, put I think it will be hard to get off since you can’t get a puller behind it. I have removed smaller ones in the past by putting a screwdriver behind the flange on each side and brying it out to get it started, but the way this one looks, I don't think it will want to move.
    If it has an eccentric locking collar then it will come off easy. Just make sure you clean the shaft really well. If it has a key in the shaft, pull the key out first, clean the shaft really well, lubricate and it too should just pop right off.
    A flat bar or 2 will assist in pulling the bearing away from the sheetmetal mount or whatever is behind it.

The only other tip I have is on pillow block bearings, clean behind the bearing (really well)(see a pattern building here?), tap the bearing back an 1/8", clean the front, lubricate, and it will slide right off.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

flange bearing remover

drill 2 holes in a piece of square tubing equal to oppsite holes in brg. weld coupling to sq. tubing in center to hold it on shaft. use all thread rod, pry flange back enough to get nuts behind it, will pull under any conditions.

Loosen the set screws/ lock rings on both bearings and sledgeomatic the shaft. It should break it loose and allow you to get a puller behind it. This should be your first last resort. Make sure there is clearance in the fan housing to permit this. Last last resort sawsall/torch. Ken

have pulled many of these using a bearing seperator &
    the correct puller