Thread: WSHP and Rx11

WSHP and Rx11

I have a 5ton water source Heat Pump, with a bad burnout. Third burnout. It's above the ceiling, and with the way its built there's no way to get the reversing valve out. Don't even know how I'm going to do the compressor, other than its been done before. Has anyone ever Rx11 flushed thru the reversing valve? I've used Rx11 before, but took the dryers and expansion valves out to flush. PS this unit has no dryer and no place to put one.

I used to get stuck with some of those you just described. That's why I don't have a back anymore. I had one that was a 2 ton, ceiling mounted . Comp cooked and was tight to all panels, Explained to lady her ceiling must come out so unit can be dropped to do in shop. Wanted second opinion. Go for it. I'm not doing it either other way. Unfortunately someone else burned her kitchen because heaven forbid the condo had to be touched by carpenters.

I have never used RX11, but the last time I changed out a compressor that had a burn out in a WSHP, I had to extend the refrigerant lines outside of the unit to install filter-driers. I know it’s a pain to do, but it is the best way to clean up the system.

how long was the intervals between burnouts,

sounds like you need to do a super cleanup,

which means you are now married to this system,

good luck,been there done that, you are gonna have to get

access to all the refrigerant cicuits, and your gonna have to

get back to them several times for the proper cleanup,

tear down some walls or whatever it takes! (or get out of dodge)

I would be very concerned with attempting any repairs to this system requiring the use of a torch in such a confined space. The danger to personnel and property is very real when working in this environment. After three burnouts this system should be removed from the ceiling and all repairs made while on a bench. This would allow for proper troubleshooting to determine the cause of these repeat failures. RX-11 flush does a good job of cleaning up after a burnout but there is no way to properly flush this system with the reversing valve in place. And depending on the age of the unit there are very likely to be check valves to restrict the flow of the cleaner. Also most units installed with improper clearances have received little or no preventative maintenance and could benefit from a good general cleaning.

The procedures r422a just listed would be the proper way to do it to clean it up. I've recommended same procedures to past residential customers I used to mostly deal with on the the waterfronts of Boston. ( Did'nt have the coin )The ones that could'nt deal with I walked away from so I did'nt married it. That's just me.