Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Appliance Thermostats

Hello I am a Service Manager and I am looking for a universal thermostat (Ranco or other) that will actually work in today's R134A reach in cases and sandwich coolers ...My technicians have brought back several different brands and types of stats always with a "it didn't work" or "it shut off too soon or too late"... I want to tell them to put a temporary stat in place of the broken one and that we have to return to replace the O.E.M. part. BUT it would be nice if we could actually find a universal part that works or is my technicians not giving enough time for the control to acclimate to the box temp?? My techs say the control will sit in there for a good two hours..

Any advice on a proper brand or a correct procedure would most appreciated

Many times a partial restriction/restriction in a cap tube is diagnosed as a bad thermostat, especially on True boxes. On Delfield boxes a bad txv can also be diagnosed as a bad thermostat. I don't know of any universal stats that have inherent problems right now. IMO, True, Delfield, and Continental boxes always get an OEM stat installed.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Thanks much I will pass this info on

I use Ranco A12-1560 and have never had an issue with a new stat. You must weave the stat through the evap when installing. It has a constant cut in of 38F and an adjustable range from 19F-29F.

I definetly agree that oem only stats back in delfield and true! I also agree that on delfield it is usually a txv problem!!! Now if an air temp tstat was used with a defrost clock often times the txv superheat is not so critical anymore!

Confused confusing cooler stats

Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    I use Ranco A12-1560 and have never had an issue with a new stat. You must weave the stat through the evap when installing. It has a constant cut in of 38F and an adjustable range from 19F-29F.
    when you say weave the stat through the evap, is the cap tube sensing air or coil temp. Should it be in contact with the coil or just dangle in the air stream? I was replacing a true stat and couldnt see the tube to slide the new cap tube into and got an A22-1112 Ranco stat and had the same issue with the stat cycling the compressor to soon. I figure it might sense coil temp but instructions were not clear if it was to sense air or coil temp.

Q: is there a rule of thumb for cap tubes (coil or straight tube)?
    Q: is there a basic med temp stat to keep on the truck to cover all reach in and baine marie units?

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
    when you say weave the stat through the evap, is the cap tube sensing air or coil temp. Should it be in contact with the coil or just dangle in the air stream? I was replacing a true stat and couldnt see the tube to slide the new cap tube into and got an A22-1112 Ranco stat and had the same issue with the stat cycling the compressor to soon. I figure it might sense coil temp but instructions were not clear if it was to sense air or coil temp.

Q: is there a basic med temp stat to keep on the truck to cover all reach in and baine marie units?

Thank You
    For an air temp tstat use the Ranco.
    A30-261but if your replacing a coil temp constant cut in stat you will need to add a defeost clock. The constant cut in stats act as defrost clocks also. As far as the one that you weave in the coil yes it needs to make surface contact with the coil. Usually when you buy them on the box it says the cut in and cut out. If it is air temp it will be like 32- 40 range

Thank You
    The A12-1560 is meant to have contact with the coil.
    You must weave it through the coil.
    Despite what they say a defrost clock is NOT required. With a constant cut in of 38F the coil will never ice up (unless the new tstat sticks closed)
    I stock this in my truck and change at least 5-10 a year. In the past 10 years I have yet to come across a time when one caused a short cycle or a coil to ice up. As long as you weave it carefully through the coil you are home free.

Thank You
    A12-1560
    works EVERY time

Quote Originally Posted by crstephens83 View Post
    A30-261but if your replacing a coil temp constant cut in stat you will need to add a defrost clock. The constant cut in stats act as defrost clocks also. As far as the one that you weave in the coil yes it needs to make surface contact with the coil. Usually when you buy them on the box it says the cut in and cut out. If it is air temp it will be like 32- 40 range
    Didn't mean to confuse what i was trying to say is if you use an air temp T-stat to replace a constant cut in you will need a defrost clock.

Ranco constant cut in stat

Quote Originally Posted by crstephens83 View Post
    A30-261but if your replacing a coil temp constant cut in stat you will need to add a defeost clock. The constant cut in stats act as defrost clocks also. As far as the one that you weave in the coil yes it needs to make surface contact with the coil. Usually when you buy them on the box it says the cut in and cut out. If it is air temp it will be like 32- 40 range
    Thanks for all the feed back.
    Usually ive seen the constant cut in stats shoved in the coil. Does it matter if the cap tube is coiled or not? Should I have to make a coil myself?

And as far as the specs for Ranco A12 and A22 goes I understand Cut in and Normal off,
    but what do they mean by Warm Off and Cold Off in the A12 Spec Sheet - And-

Off, On, Warm on and Cold off for the A22 series spec sheet respectively?

http://s3.pexsupply.com/product_file...0-brochure.pdf

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated

Warm on Temp for the A30-261 is 61*F isn't that high for med temp box holding 35*-38* temp?

The highest setting can be at 61 but just set it colder, it can handle a 35 degree box no problem, but again it is air temp, I personally replace with manufacturer controls. And or install a Ranco ETC111000. Havent used the Ranco a30 261 in a while

Warm on Temp for the A30-261 is 61*F isn't that high for med temp box holding 35*-38* temp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast