Thread: XL80 Problems

Post Likes

XL80 Problems

I suspect that the XL80 furnace from Trane has a reliability problem with its PCB. Any feedback most welcome.

Post Likes
    The XL80 has been out 20 some years. Are you talking units made recently? 10 years ago? 20 years ago?

Post Likes
    All boards are liable to have problems. It depends what's specifically wrong in your case.

Post Likes
    I purchased the XL80 about 10 years ago and have now replaced the PCB twice. Both of the failed boards have the same burned area around a set of resistors. It appears that a circuit is overheating but takes several years to fail.

Post Likes
    Some of the early (2000 ish) Intellignition boards did have problems, especially the single stage. Unusual to have 2 fail in 10 years but certainly can happen.

Post Likes

XL80 PCB problems

I have the 2 stage furnace. The concern that I have is that both boards have failed with exactly the same symptoms. And the replacement boards were probably recently made but I don't know for sure. I believe that there is a design problem but I could not get Trane customer support to verify this. /Daveb

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Some of the early (2000 ish) Intellignition boards did have problems, especially the single stage. Unusual to have 2 fail in 10 years but certainly can happen.