Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    So you know people who scam, do you know any people that are on the low end of the scale that need help?
    sorry, no i don't..

I know people that scrape by and should be on food stamps but either don't know how to get them or have too much pride. From those people the govt is saving money. Actually, there could be more of those people than scammers which would put the food stamp program in the black compared to where they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I know people that scrape by and should be on food stamps but either don't know how to get them or have too much pride. From those people the govt is saving money. Actually, there could be more of those people than scammers which would put the food stamp program in the black compared to where they should be.
    Agreed and you can bet that most of those with too much pride to apply for food stamps won't be from the minorities or the immigrants just the rest of us hard working "born in America" Americans. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Agreed and you can bet that most of those with too much pride to apply for food stamps won't be from the minorities or the immigrants just the rest of us hard working "born in America" Americans. Thank you very much
    On a much larger scale is how the states ask the Federal Govt for handouts. Maybe each state should try to somewhat wean themselves off that tit. The politicians in CA are salivating for Fed money for a high speed rail system. They should have the integrity to know they are asking a bankrupt system to go further in debt for them. So just as the baggers love their handouts, the states love theirs too.

"So just as the baggers love their handouts, the states love theirs too."

what handouts?

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    "So just as the baggers love their handouts, the states love theirs too."

what handouts?
    The one I just mentioned... CA asking the Federal Govt to pay for an unnecessary high speed rail system.

so the tea party wants this high speed train??? got a link to that?

I dont understand why the government doesnt do a few things to combat fraud and solve unemployment at the same time. The current food stamp system allows people who are on it to buy anything they want, from lobster to prime rib. Why not have the government open up food warehouses that could be staffed by those on unemployment (heck you are paying them anyway, why not let em do some work for it and learn a skill at the same time) and provide only foods that people need to survive. I am not saying only bread and water, but most of these people eat better than I do. As long as the have-nots can live as good or better than the haves then there is no motivation to change. After a few weeks of PB&J, Spam, plain rice, and water(no soda or beer) someone might just be motivated enough to go out and get a job, even if it is at McDonald's. Also for those on unemployment, let them build the housing the government is providing for free at the same time also. I mean this is logic a dang 12 year old could figure out. Some people need jobs. Some people need stuff. If you are going to pay for it all anyway, then put the ones who need jobs to work supplying the stuff they need and save some money while discouraging both from taking the free ride.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

eliminating food stamps would solve the food stamp problem with in a few missed dinners..and the unemployment rate would fall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Imagine that religious people taking advantage of a situatuation.
    Yep, 20% of the food goes out the front door and 80% goes out the back door. I'll bet it happens a lot more than you think. But I'm sure there are some ministries where 90% goes out the front door. It's up to each ministry to act with integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    This ministry where I work is 5% white, 5% black and 90% Mexican. I don't want to say who it is because then they might cut this white guy out of the deal. I give about 75% of the food away. This past week I got 16 2-lb blocks of Velveeta cheese for starters. And it was in date until April 23rd. Now I have 2 in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    eliminating food stamps would solve the food stamp problem with in a few missed dinners..and the unemployment rate would fall as well.
    In times past I would quickly agree with you. But, I think the unemployment situation is here to stay and the crazy policies of the federal government have finally began to permanently hurt people. Things have not really changed since the recession started in December/2007. Let me ask a simple question. How many millions of middle class manufacturing jobs can the elites export to china & Mexico, and how many million of Mexicans can they import to do jobs for cheaper wages before those born and raised in America begin to suffer? Well, the suffering began 5 years ago and things haven't changed. The marginal people were the first to go and that's when food stamps begin to shoot up. Did we think we would never pay a price for these insane policies? Is America so great that she is immune to reaping what is sown?

See that Kraft Chedda Sharp cheese? That is a special slow melting cheese that restaurants put on their burgers and sandwiches. There are 200 slices/5-lb brick. There are 4 bricks that come in a case, and it retails for $106.50. I saw a guy back up his pickup and put all 7 or 8 cases on the truck. I'd say we got about 9 or 10 on the delivery truck that day. It has really gotten out of hand. The concept of "ministry" has been completely forgotten by a about 5 to 10 hoarders of the food. Things need to be balanced out. I think the volunteer workers like myself should be allowed to take a banana box of stuff home. It's hard work really in that truck and restacking and moving pallets in the hot summer Texas sun. I don't think getting a banana box full of stuff is being greedy. But backing up a pickup....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast