Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    With bigger savings.

Appaerently you haven't checked the specs of the Inverter units.

Remember, what you think has little value, may be of great importance to others.

The 23 SEER could allow a 2* increase in stat set point, saving far more in operating cost then a cheaper unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    With bigger savings.

Appaerently you haven't checked the specs of the Inverter units.

Remember, what you think has little value, may be of great importance to others.

The 23 SEER could allow a 2* increase in stat set point, saving far more in operating cost then a cheaper unit.
    I have the spec sheet for the Maytag IQ drive. 13.5 EER for the nominal 3 ton, 13 EER for the nominal 4 ton, 15 EER for the nominal 2 ton. These are solid numbers. I am not impressed with a high SEER number because I understand the calculation - it is geared to low ambient temperatures. In hot Texas summers, EER means everything.

How long do you think it will take the OP to recover the additional $5k (minumum) purchase price of the IQ in electricity savings versus a standard 14 SEER / 12 EER system?

If its always so hot in texas that the SEER doesn't count, then not too long.

If you really undestood the calcs, you would work in the field. And not just read articles.

Depends on his combined yearly heating and cooling bill.
    The IQ could easly reduce it by 25% or more.
    Depending on his area, a $100.00 a month decrease would not be out of line.
    As electric rates go up, could be a 4 year pay back, or an 8 year pay back.
    Contractor locator map

According to Nordyne, the guy working on the heat pump version of this was killed in a motorcycle accident, delaying the release of this product considerably. They are talking early 2009 right now.

However, I have a neighbor with one of the 23 SEER air conditioners, and he LOVES it! EXTREMELY quiet, utterly uniform temperature control, VERY dry in the summer, and he's claiming it's cheap as dirt to run. No idea what that last part means quantitatively, but there ya go.

I think the cost is worth it, in so many ways, but they just aren't available yet as heat pumps. Given my experience with inverter mini splits, it's GOTTA be one heck of a lot better than conventional units.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Homeowner View Post
    I need to replace two 30 year old heat pump units. I'm feed up with $600-$800 month electric bills. So, I'm considering going with the Frigidaire iQ 23 SEER 4 ton units. First question, what do folks think about this model? Second, do you think the energy savings are worth the upfront cost compared with say a 14-15 SEER unit? Lastly, I'm considering trying to convert from electric to gas and I know the Frigidaire iQ comes in both a gas and heat pump version and I'm still trying to get a handle on the cost of upgrading my gas service to accomodate the gas units, but putting that aside somewhat, is the gas version going to save me a lot more down the road compared to the electric heat pump version to make this switch worth it? I'm dealing with the North Texas climate area. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What some people fail to understand.

In cooling. With high SEER 2 stage, and modulating systems.
    Once you get the humidity down. Say to 45% or lower.
    In cooling you can set the stat 2 to 5* higher, and still feel as though it was 70* in your house.(or 72, 74, what ever temp they normally had the stat set to)
    There is no rating system to tell you how much you will reduce your energy consumption. Because of higher set point due to better humidity control from these systems.

Corpus Christi Texas: From OD temps of 75 to 85 has 2946 CDD, from 85 to 95 has 1221 CDD.
    Dallas Texas: From OD temps of 75 to 85 has 1822 CDD, from 85 to 95 has 1150 CDD.

Even in Texas, its not always 95+* outside.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    Unless you make sure the ductwork & linesets are adequate for the tonnage of the new 23SEER iQ Drive Frigidaires then it's not worth it. I could install all new, correctly designed ductwork on a new 14/15SEER heat pump system & probably get the same if not better efficiencies on them than the iQ Drives.

Just something to think about, IMHO.
    I agree with Special Ed, In many cases the linesets, ductwork & airflow won't support the equipment's BTUR rating & the ultra high SEER ratings.

When we are trying to save the customer's on energy costs, "we need to look at everything," including reducing the heatloss-heatgain, equipment sizing, etc. Long & medium term, what customer investments will reduce energy costs the most with the best payback. To me, that is our responsibility to those that put their trust us.
    http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html
    - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I agree with Special Ed, In many cases the linesets, ductwork & airflow won't support the equipment's BTUR rating & the ultra high SEER ratings.

When we are trying to save the customer's on energy costs, "we need to look at everything," including reducing the heatloss-heatgain, equipment sizing, etc. Long & medium term, what customer investments will reduce energy costs the most with the best payback. To me, that is our responsibility to those that put their trust us.
    http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html
    - Darrell
    Darrell:

You are missed on the "other" site.

Take care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12