Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frigidaire iQ 23 SEER

I need to replace two 30 year old heat pump units. I'm feed up with $600-$800 month electric bills. So, I'm considering going with the Frigidaire iQ 23 SEER 4 ton units. First question, what do folks think about this model? Second, do you think the energy savings are worth the upfront cost compared with say a 14-15 SEER unit? Lastly, I'm considering trying to convert from electric to gas and I know the Frigidaire iQ comes in both a gas and heat pump version and I'm still trying to get a handle on the cost of upgrading my gas service to accomodate the gas units, but putting that aside somewhat, is the gas version going to save me a lot more down the road compared to the electric heat pump version to make this switch worth it? I'm dealing with the North Texas climate area. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Even 14/15 SEER heat pumps are going to be cheaper to operate than gas. You should be running on the heat pumps only 95% of the time in Texas.

http://ip.smarterwayinc.com:8080/seer.asp
    There is some decent explanation of SEER rating vs operating costs on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith46 View Post
    Even 14/15 SEER heat pumps are going to be cheaper to operate than gas. You should be running on the heat pumps only 95% of the time in Texas.
    At the moment a 13 SEER heat pump could cost less to operate in the DFW area, assuming a well built house and a properly designed and installed system.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Mark - if you were putting in a new HVAC unit in Bedford and had your choice, which would you go with - Heat Pump or Gas?

The "IQ drive" systems are not available in a heat pump at this time. Looks like it will be around the end of the year, also it is 23 seer for the 2 ton system and 21 seer for 3 and 4 tons systems. They are some nice systems though. I waiting for the heat pump to put in my fathers home.
    When everything goes wrong... ...remember it could still be worse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    At the moment a 13 SEER heat pump could cost less to operate in the DFW area, assuming a well built house and a properly designed and installed system.
    Even a 10 SEER should be cheaper to operate than gas. Do you even need anything but a heat pump in Texas? Even here in Kansas my heat pump keeps up till it gets below 20*.

Unless you make sure the ductwork & linesets are adequate for the tonnage of the new 23SEER iQ Drive Frigidaires then it's not worth it. I could install all new, correctly designed ductwork on a new 14/15SEER heat pump system & probably get the same if not better efficiencies on them than the iQ Drives.

Just something to think about, IMHO.
    WHY?

Confused SW Florida Dilemma

I have RUUD split AC unit here in Southwest Florida. It is a 10 SEER 3.5 ton unit. The coils are rusting, water is building up on the bottom of the unit and dripping out of the unit which hangs in my garage and there is mold growing in the insulation. The unit was installed when the house was built in 2003.

I have had two different companies come out to tell me what to do. The first said they would:

1. acid clean the coils in place
    2. mechanically sanitize my ventilation system which is flexible duct
    3. re-install new insulation in the air handler
    4. install an ultraviolet light

The second said to replace the whole unit with a new Frigidaire 23 seer IQ drive r-410a.

I know the cost is very different in each case but what is the “best” bang for my buck?

Is it a band-aid approach for the first case and should I just “bite the bullet”?

Thanks for your responses in advance,

EB

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Homeowner View Post
    I need to replace two 30 year old heat pump units. I'm feed up with $600-$800 month electric bills. So, I'm considering going with the Frigidaire iQ 23 SEER 4 ton units. First question, what do folks think about this model? Second, do you think the energy savings are worth the upfront cost compared with say a 14-15 SEER unit? Lastly, I'm considering trying to convert from electric to gas and I know the Frigidaire iQ comes in both a gas and heat pump version and I'm still trying to get a handle on the cost of upgrading my gas service to accomodate the gas units, but putting that aside somewhat, is the gas version going to save me a lot more down the road compared to the electric heat pump version to make this switch worth it? I'm dealing with the North Texas climate area. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    A 14 SEER / 12 EER system offers the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs. My opinion.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by everblader View Post
    I have RUUD split AC unit here in Southwest Florida. It is a 10 SEER 3.5 ton unit. The coils are rusting, water is building up on the bottom of the unit and dripping out of the unit which hangs in my garage and there is mold growing in the insulation. The unit was installed when the house was built in 2003.

I have had two different companies come out to tell me what to do. The first said they would:

1. acid clean the coils in place
    2. mechanically sanitize my ventilation system which is flexible duct
    3. re-install new insulation in the air handler
    4. install an ultraviolet light

The second said to replace the whole unit with a new Frigidaire 23 seer IQ drive r-410a.

I know the cost is very different in each case but what is the “best” bang for my buck?

Is it a band-aid approach for the first case and should I just “bite the bullet”?

Thanks for your responses in advance,

EB
    This should be a new post.

Take care.

Bite the bullet.

You'll be a lot more comfortable with the 23 SEER IQ then any single stage.

But don't revive 1 year old threads.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You'll be a lot more comfortable with the 23 SEER IQ then any single stage.
    And a lot more in debt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast