Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

70 hrs and counting

What's the most you worked I'm at 70 this week with 2 days of on call left

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    What's the most you worked I'm at 70 this week with 2 days of on call left
    The week of July 4th 1995 I worked just over 100 hours. The backup on call guy and the service manager were not answering their phones, or responding to their pagers, so I was on my own on call for the 4 day weekend.
    It was my first summer doing service work, and I have to admit, there were a number of questionable quality repairs done that week, and my paperwork left something to be desired...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

105 hours during a startup on a new controls system that went south far. The vendor dropped the ball and we did marathon seasons programming a piece of machinery from scratch, step by step then going back and adding calls, interlocks, and fine tuning timing.

While I was the project manager and it ultimately was my responsibility, and a hard learning experience, my manger at the time beat me up over it rather than being supportive and acknowledging that we pulled it off. Fortunately she's no longer with the company. Everyone was very happy about that.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Some weeks, like this past week, I could work 168 hrs and still not get caught up but my body and wife won't let me, gotta know when to take a break or you'll crash and burn.

I try to keep it under 50 hrs or I start having hvac nightmares and get no rest and no family time.

I have been doing HVAC for about 7 months now and my highest week was 65 hours. I use to run my own construction company for about 5 years and I averaged 90 hours a week. Went through about 50 employees one at a time and never could find good help to share the load so I got out.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

You can't expect an employee to have anywhere near the drive as an owner. It's not their name on the line. It's hard to find competent loyal and hardworking help these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    I have been doing HVAC for about 7 months now and my highest week was 65 hours. I use to run my own construction company for about 5 years and I averaged 90 hours a week. Went through about 50 employees one at a time and never could find good help to share the load so I got out.
    Are you a York dealer? My dad just went and played golf with a guy in sc that's been doing hvac for 7 months.

It's been a few years since I put these kinda hours in. I believe I quit my job last te they started doing this to me. Oh we'll back to the freezer I go to melt more ice. Wish people would call in before its 4 ft thick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Are you a York dealer? My dad just went and played golf with a guy in sc that's been doing hvac for 7 months.
    The company I work for does mostly Trane and some Heil. The most golf I have ever played is putt-putt.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    The company I work for does mostly Trane and some Heil. The most golf I have ever played is putt-putt.
    That's weird bc he said the guy is a GC and owned a construction business but couldn't keep busy with the economy like it is so he bought an hvac companies accounts and has been doing it for 7 months. So there is another guy in sc in your shoes.

101 once.

I don't believe I've went past 75-80 so far. I've done plenty of high 60's even when not on call - just helpin' out over this last blistering summer. Sixty two-63 is the norm during the AC months.

I'm sitting here on call right now with the wife out of town - a perfect opportunity to do nothing but work. And it was freaking 35* overnight and all I got was a few no heats this morning here in the middle of April. It's now 75 in my house with the system off, which made me confident enough to run up and buy a massive steak; presently soaking in Andreas marinade. I believe I'll spin my Allman Bros. dvd this evening. Provided no gas leaks or water heaters come in.

But I did sell a 96% furnace this morning, which brings me to one furnace, one AC and one complete system for the week. Not too shabby.

Tomorrow it will warm up close to 80*, so I could very likely catch a no heat in the AM and a few no cools in the afternoon and evening. In another few weeks it will be non stop until September with our humidity around here...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast