• welcome to my life

20 64.52%
  • bit much to deal

1 3.23%
  • some one needs to stop screwing up

5 16.13%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: attitude check

I don't know how I did it, but I must of stepped in s***, found a great job in this field with good pay. No dispatchers, no service manager, I set my own schedules. Just me, my Amex card & the operations manager, 28 commercial kitchens work & AC in all of the buildings. Some package AC but mostly split systems. Walk-ins, reach ins, etc. Some electrical & plumbing repairs too. They supply an old but very serviceable Ford truck with a cap and my tools & torch.

I'm the go to guy too mainly cause I am the only guy. This can become over whelming at times but I like the challenge. It prevents boredom. Some locations 2hrs apart And most of my equipment & buildings are 20-40 years old have been abused due to lack of proper PM maintenance, lots grease and some previous repair work. The attic work is brutal and not really possible to replace air handlers unless full remodeling is in the budget. The company trusts my knowledge & judgement in regards to how & what needs upgrading vs. what I can/can't repair. My biggest issues right now are the ancient R22 AC units and no way to change air handlers. So I am getting to know R438A. I feel for you guys having to deal with a shops full of big talker guys with BS and lousy work ethics & skills.

I add to my bag of knowledge daily. I only wish I had a helper!

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I don't know how I did it, but I must of stepped in s***, found a great job in this field with good pay. No dispatchers, no service manager, I set my own schedules. Just me, my Amex card & the operations manager, 28 commercial kitchens work & AC in all of the buildings. Some package AC but mostly split systems. Walk-ins, reach ins, etc. Some electrical & plumbing repairs too. They supply an old but very serviceable Ford truck with a cap and my tools & torch.

I'm the go to guy too mainly cause I am the only guy. This can become over whelming at times but I like the challenge. It prevents boredom. Some locations 2hrs apart And most of my equipment & buildings are 20-40 years old have been abused due to lack of proper PM maintenance, lots grease and some previous repair work. The attic work is brutal and not really possible to replace air handlers unless full remodeling is in the budget. The company trusts my knowledge & judgement in regards to how & what needs upgrading vs. what I can/can't repair. My biggest issues right now are the ancient R22 AC units and no way to change air handlers. So I am getting to know R438A. I feel for you guys having to deal with a shops full of big talker guys with BS and lousy work ethics & skills.

I add to my bag of knowledge daily. I only wish I had a helper!
    Well you see, you have it made being the only one. Half of my frustrations are dealing with the other techs. It does sound like a lot of work for one person however.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    In past yr or so, due to different things like econemy, getting good employees, turn over, whatever, things have been feeling a little rough on me.

To be specific, seems I've become the cleanup guy for everyone else's screwups, in the last 6/7 weeks have been sent out on Fri, when not on call, about 4/5 times. this happens at 3/4/ even 5 in afternoon. Last one took 5 hrs to straighten up.

And its not just Fridays, got a few last week, one at 3 to go out and get a new install running.
    Maybe I need some perspective here? If the mistake maker gets sent home and I to fix it, I am getting paid. But then, I feel they being rewarded by going home on time, and I get punished by being peprived on personal time, family time, etc, constantly.
    Just to add, awhile back, one of our tech reps commented that I was "pretty much pulling the whole load in service over there.." when he asked how things were going.

Feeling a bit resentful of this setup. maybe a bit whiny, or what? Maybe a bit of burnout, ask for get off when time to get off on at least one day week?

thanks
    Sounds like you could start your own biz and these guy's would go belly up, or give you a ton of work!
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345