20 64.52%
  • bit much to deal

1 3.23%
  • some one needs to stop screwing up

5 16.13%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: attitude check

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    You know what's funny is we don't sell anything. Our job is to maintain and repair only, but he's just that guy. A suck who has to run and tell everyone how smart he thinks he is....
    .. every Christmas we spray paint knee pads...and Award the "Golden Knee Pad award" to the most deserving.

It is nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like the "clean-up-guy"

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    In past yr or so, due to different things like econemy, getting good employees, turn over, whatever, things have been feeling a little rough on me.

To be specific, seems I've become the cleanup guy for everyone else's screwups, in the last 6/7 weeks have been sent out on Fri, when not on call, about 4/5 times. this happens at 3/4/ even 5 in afternoon. Last one took 5 hrs to straighten up.
    And its not just Fridays, got a few last week, one at 3 to go out and get a new install running.
    Maybe I need some perspective here?

Feeling a bit resentful of this setup. maybe a bit whiny, or what? Maybe a bit of burnout, ask for get off when time to get off on at least one day week?

thanks

Want a Career in the HVAC/R field, make 60k to 90k a year, without all the running, and have a home life to boot? Become a Stationary Engineer! I was in Your shoes many years ago, and made the change, and Never Looked back for it!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Now, instead of a cute AC capacitor, the call comes in on a monster Ipak that another tech, Technician X, is working on. It just seems as though he has been just standing there looking at it for the last 8 hours. Apparently, Technician X, has ANOTHER kids soccer game to go to. Owner pleading, could you please go wrap it up...pretty please, need cooling by morning?
    Don't you mean after Technician X changed the same txv 3 times, put the filter/dryer in backwards, pulled the wires off the pressure switches and hooked them back up wrong, and added 12 extra lbs of refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    .. every Christmas we spray paint knee pads...and Award the "Golden Knee Pad award" to the most deserving.
    Hahaha I love it!

slctech- Big units take big time, I suppose. It seems plenty of guys like commercial for a rest from some res customers. All that extra hassle would put some edge on it for me.

seems everyone here have the same sentiments on excellence.

Was at Walmart Sat and heard two older ladies talking about how young kids thought they were going to start out w/good money, didn't understand working way into it.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Don't you mean after Technician X changed the same txv 3 times, put the filter/dryer in backwards, pulled the wires off the pressure switches and hooked them back up wrong, and added 12 extra lbs of refrigerant.
    This reminds me of a few that work in my shop. In the mornings they sit around and talk about their problem calls which is mildly entertaining but equally as sad. It goes a little something like "I've changed the flame rod, gas valve, igniter, and the control board and the son of a to work." We'll by now you basically have a new furnace, it should be running right??

This reminds me of a few that work in my shop. In the mornings they sit around and talk about their problem calls which is mildly entertaining but equally as sad. It goes a little something like "I've changed the flame rod, gas valve, igniter, and the control board and the son of a to work." We'll by now you basically have a new furnace, it should be running right??
    Think of it this way. Once every single part has been replaced, the unit should run quite reliably for many years.

Then whoops the meters locked up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Then whoops the meters locked up lol
    They'd have to shut the mains coming in, we don't have individual meters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    This one if I remember was an electrical issue. Bundles of wiring running from the main control panel all the way 20+ feet to the VFD compartment. Took 1/2 hour to figure what I was dealing with. And nearly 10 hours of crawling and squeezing to find and fix.

Can't tell you how many..."can't get this to braze!" at 5pm on a Friday. Show up to find a Technician X with 9 or 10 little remains of silphos on the ground and a mound of braze on a suction fitting of a compressor. Pray that he did not goober the fitting. Patiently advise Technician X that copper doesn't like to braze to a steel fitting with 15%....start prepping fittings head down to truck to get the flux and 45% silver, thinking that I will have him braze this fitting and he can get this job wrapped. Getting into the truck and look over to find Technician X with his tools and handful of equipment quietly pacing at 95mph towards his van. Ask whats up?.....get the long comatose "WWWHHHHHUUUUUTT?" back as a reply. "I am grabbing the 45% and we are going to knock that joint out together, that's what." "Ooohhh, welll, I told so and so that tonight, and this weekend, I have the kids. I have to get home to meet the EX when she drops them off".

Now believe it or not, I have a teenage daughter and a teenage son, I have a wife, I have fatherly duties, I want to go home on a Friday and maybe get a Redbox or two and just zone out with the family....but instead..I am stuck hauling my torches, nitrogen, gauges, vacuum pump, refer, tools on to a roof. Call the Mrs....don't need to say anything, she knows that call at 6pm on a Friday. She is not happy...so I set there working on a unit, flustered, mind not in right place, re-occuring sound of phone clicking as the wife hung up on me in my head, not thinking and set my arm down on that F@#$ hot suction line...you can hear it sizzling and smell it just before your brain gets the signal from the nerves that you better move that arm....damage is done.
    Burned, upset wife....leak check with nitro and find the liquid line fitting, Technician X, brazed on is now leaking, too

Thank God, the business parking lot was empty or my wrench would have bounced off a few hoods and gone through someone's windshield.

Stand there at the edge of roof with a cigarette, feeling a blister forming on my arm, looking at the empty parking lot, see my wrench out there reflecting the last bit of light from a setting sun...and still wondering, "where have all the good techs gone?"

That old Paula Cole song..."Where have all the cowboys gone?" Shift the lyrics a bit and that is what is singing in my head when I say.."where have all the good techs gone?". Been singing in my head for nearly 10 years, sad to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR108kwNo4

I am quickly becoming used to being the one that stays late, and so is the wife. I finished up a job today around 2pm and called the office, dispatch said thats it for today. I was so excited. Of course 5 minutes down the road I got another call, sorry but we need you. While at the new job, another call, how much longer? you need to go so and so when you leave. Thats okay, Every extra hour I work now is one less I will have to work at the end.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast