• welcome to my life

20 64.52%
  • bit much to deal

1 3.23%
  • some one needs to stop screwing up

5 16.13%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: attitude check

GT- the tuneup guy was just out college, and said not much experience in field. he'd call and I'd give hime some direction- and it'd be fixed. Worked well enough, was even open to some training after hrs. we did w 3-4 hr tune up on his oil furnace one day since was slow. we took it apart and back together again.
    even dropped by on a call one Sat when he called for help, was only few blocks away. new install, had smashed the furnace inducer trap. was sucking in air and furnace was cutting out intermittently, made up a temp trap and got running.
    If things stayed in that range wouldn't seem so bad now.

Helped w/install Fri, was told no more calls twice as was packing up.3pm going out drive got a call to get one "since it was on the way home" cust mentioned he had called that morning.
    when got home, got another call (non-call night).4:30pm seems installers left cover off ht pump. put on cover, found some tools by unit, and the customer came out w/ladder as well.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I voted whiner, but that's only if you worked at our shop
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Another poster said two techs spent six hours and can't figure out a bad capacitor or blown fuse. Those guys either have to be salestechs, have no experience, or the company has poor hiring standards.
    That is crazy. If it takes more than a few minutes to troubleshoot we call the "hub" (the shop dude) which gives us a whole network of help.
    You have to pay your bills one way or another. I would rather be the "go to guy" than the unemployed guy.
    It's been my experience that if someone feels over-worked and under-paid it's time to move on. It's hard to recover from that tude. I think our guys are all in. Our shop dude runs a good shop.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Helped w/install Fri, was told no more calls twice as was packing up.3pm going out drive got a call to get one "since it was on the way home" cust mentioned he had called that morning.
    when got home, got another call (non-call night).4:30pm seems installers left cover off ht pump. put on cover, found some tools by unit, and the customer came out w/ladder as well.
    That cracks me up, sounds like the circus is In town!

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post

Another poster said two techs spent six hours and can't figure out a bad capacitor or blown fuse. Those guys either have to be salestechs, have no experience, or the company has poor hiring standards . You have to pay your bills one way or another. I would rather be the "go to guy" than the unemployed guy.
    Guess you didn't read the "hypothetical" part....

I oversimplified it to make a point to the extreme.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post

Stupidity cannot be fixed and laziness would be where I institute my inconvenience tax. Bet that would only happen once or twice....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Wait until your a commercial and large refrigeration technician. I dream of slipping back into residential, seems what takes two hours in residential takes three times as long in commercial.
    Now, instead of a cute AC capacitor, the call comes in on a monster Ipak that another tech, Technician X, is working on. It just seems as though he has been just standing there looking at it for the last 8 hours. Apparently, Technician X, has ANOTHER kids soccer game to go to. Owner pleading, could you please go wrap it up...pretty please, need cooling by morning?
    Downtown, no parking, walk a block, 12th floor, man ladder after man ladder, numerous trips to truck and back, bring lights up, and before you know it the sunrise has you taking the lights back down. System purring, building cooling and you set at the edge of the building, delirious, slight smile, patting yourself on the back, with a cigarette, while watching the sunrise over the city, wondering...."where have all the good techs gone?"

Your in this position like so many of us that live here on this site...you care about your trade, you are hungry to learn more, on your own time you have continually educated yourself, you refuse to give-up, you research into the night, reading and saving every stupid manual, and you live for the next challenge.
    Most of us are loyal to our employers and care about the success of our company and our customers, this is why we will sacrifice our families, health, and sanity for what we will never feel like is enough money.

We are all up against a generation of lazy kids. A great majority of this younger generation has no work ethics, no instinctive inner will to better themselves, no internal drive to see what is over the next mountain, and if they are not required and baited with coffee and donuts to attend certain classes, they would never go. They are growing up in a disposable culture, if it don't work, throw it away and get another. We all grew up darning socks, changing tubes in the TV, rebuilding engines, killing ourselves with a garage door springs, McGyvering about everything, and just about fixing everything....we were forced to become mechanically and electrically inclined. Our fathers were terribly hard working men and we followed in those footsteps with PRIDE.

Now PRIDE in a hard days work is gone...now it is what a company can give to them, is all that is in their minds..not what they can give to the company, the customers, and most importantly to themselves.

I am tired, too.

I know what you guys mean. As it stands now I'm the "guy" for ddc controls, chillers, refrigeration, then whatever else they can't figure out. My problem is compounded by I make the same money as the people who know nothing and do nothing. It really burns me up and I'm about to the end of my patience with all of it too.....

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    System purring, building cooling and you set at the edge of the building, delirious, slight smile, patting yourself on the back, with a cigarette, while watching the sunrise over the city, wondering...."where have all the good techs gone?"
    Wow that really cracked me up!

And Ryan I know your in a crappy spot I would of flipped out by now I bet, I couldn't do that for too long.

Wait until your a commercial and large refrigeration technician. I dream of slipping back into residential, seems what takes two hours in residential takes three times as long in commercial.
    Now, instead of a cute AC capacitor, the call comes in on a monster Ipak that another tech, Technician X, is working on. It just seems as though he has been just standing there looking at it for the last 8 hours. Apparently, Technician X, has ANOTHER kids soccer game to go to. Owner pleading, could you please go wrap it up...pretty please, need cooling by morning?
    Downtown, no parking, walk a block, 12th floor, man ladder after man ladder, numerous trips to truck and back, bring lights up, and before you know it the sunrise has you taking the lights back down. System purring, building cooling and you set at the edge of the building, delirious, slight smile, patting yourself on the back, with a cigarette, while watching the sunrise over the city, wondering...."where have all the good techs gone?"

Your in this position like so many of us that live here on this site...you care about your trade, you are hungry to learn more, on your own time you have continually educated yourself, you refuse to give-up, you research into the night, reading and saving every stupid manual, and you live for the next challenge.
    Most of us are loyal to our employers and care about the success of our company and our customers, this is why we will sacrifice our families, health, and sanity for what we will never feel like is enough money.

We are all up against a generation of lazy kids. A great majority of this younger generation has no work ethics, no instinctive inner will to better themselves, no internal drive to see what is over the next mountain, and if they are not required and baited with coffee and donuts to attend certain classes, they would never go. They are growing up in a disposable culture, if it don't work, throw it away and get another. We all grew up darning socks, changing tubes in the TV, rebuilding engines, killing ourselves with a garage door springs, McGyvering about everything, and just about fixing everything....we were forced to become mechanically and electrically inclined. Our fathers were terribly hard working men and we followed in those footsteps with PRIDE.

Now PRIDE in a hard days work is gone...now it is what a company can give to them, is all that is in their minds..not what they can give to the company, the customers, and most importantly to themselves.

I am tired, too.
    Man slctech, I read this at 5:00 this morning and almost teared up, I feel ya.

Ryan,

The pay situation can really get under your skin. That and when you spend a 1/2 hour walking someone through diagnosing a txv they can't figure out just to walk into the shop and hear them explaining to the manager how THEY solved it with no mention of your assistance.

All I can say is you're not alone, don't let it effect your job though, keep doing excellent work and things will balance out one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Man slctech, I read this at 5:00 this morning and almost teared up, I feel ya.

Ryan,

The pay situation can really get under your skin. That and when you spend a 1/2 hour walking someone through diagnosing a txv they can't figure out just to walk into the shop and hear them explaining to the manager how THEY solved it with no mention of your assistance.

All I can say is you're not alone, don't let it effect your job though, keep doing excellent work and things will balance out one of these days.
    We have a guy here that's just like you described. If he has a bowel movement, he's in the bosses office telling him about it. If he ever figured out something, yet again he's in the bosses office. Comes in late for lunch and quitting time while the boss thinks he's out "over-achieving", he actually stops and talks cattle with one of his buddies. Just funny how it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We have a guy here that's just like you described. If he has a bowel movement, he's in the bosses office telling him about it. If he ever figured out something, yet again he's in the bosses office. Comes in late for lunch and quitting time while the boss thinks he's out "over-achieving", he actually stops and talks cattle with one of his buddies. Just funny how it all works.
    Sounds like a sales-tech...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

...."where have all the good techs gone?"

I am tired, too.
    Well said, I have been in the trade a long time.. learned a lot on my own and took any job i could, to learn more or work OT...growing family, bills..did side work to keep up... I have worked for owners and big companies..and i rather work for owners..at least they care to some degree.. and when you find one that does really care hang on to them.. you found a diamond in the rough..

Its hard, bust your butt while your young, and you miss out on the family stuff, vacations weekend fun... don't bust your butt and you lose out on experience and money. Its that balance that's hard to figure out...But I can say for sure if your not happy with what you are doing, discuss this with your boss or owner. If that doesn't help start looking for a new job...because one thing for sure if your not happy, more money will not help...

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Sounds like a sales-tech...
    You know what's funny is we don't sell anything. Our job is to maintain and repair only, but he's just that guy. A suck who has to run and tell everyone how smart he thinks he is....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast