• welcome to my life

20 64.52%
  • bit much to deal

1 3.23%
  • some one needs to stop screwing up

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: attitude check

If I could vote for both 2 and 4 I would, sounds familiar.

One thing you can tell yourself, if you lose your job you are the type any company would love to hire!

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    There's three on call techs (went a number of mos w/only two) and one install crew right now, and one installer was injured and out for a few weeks, so the tune up guy is helping him.

I certainly have to agree on the go-to guy and job security part, have to keep reminding myself that. Its been especially bad past two months- and not even into real service weather yet.

there's even been some calls coming in after I've been off for 1/2 hr, 1 hr, on noncall evening, to run a call. People need to be left alone at some point to have some peace from work.
    Just like any relationship it's important to set up boundaries and to remind people of them from time to time. The main on call guy should take the calls that come in after hours period, unless he gets swamped. Companies should make a real effort to get calls pushed into the next work day, if it's not below 32* or above 90* then it's not really an emergency that can't wait.

If your boss is easy to get along with just ask them if you can have a chat, explain that you are very grateful for your job, position and love helping the company but that you want to know if there is any way to define some work free blocks of time each month so that you can give time to your personal life and not be stressing about the phone ringing too, angle it as a way to recharge the batteries so you can be even sharper and better during work hours : ).

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    To expand on your best screwdriver analogy, that screwdriver gets worn and beat up rather quickly....
    I take care of my best screwdriver

Now there is one other solution... albeit a difficult and risky one... go out on your own.

BEFORE making this decision think about these things:
    *Is your spouse the kind who would support you and back you up (it will be a strain on the family for a few years)
    *Do you have savings to carry you and the family for 6-12 mos
    *Are you willing to work even harder than you do now
    *Can you set boundaries with your customers, yet make them happy and get referrals
    *Are you willing to learn the skill of running a business (it is different than the work), one has to know BOTH skills
    If you can answer more or less YES to all the above questions, and are ready for the BIGGEST challenge of your life... then talk to a few one-man shops in your area
    And get into the Business & Marketing forum here... lots of good stuff there.

Do NOT just go out on your own without some information, planning, and a good feeling about success... While it is not impossible, it is also not easy.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Now there is one other solution... albeit a difficult and risky one... go out on your own.

*Are you willing to work even harder than you do now

there's even been some calls coming in after I've been off for 1/2 hr, 1 hr, on noncall evening, to run a call. People need to be left alone at some point to have some peace from work.
    This WILL be a problem for a one man shop.........
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    This WILL be a problem for a one man shop.........
    I totally agree!!! and one will work even HARDER. However it is YOUR show and your $$$... that is a HUGE motivator for me.
    Having said that... to go out on one's own without a business plan... well that is kinda like spitting or p*ssing into the wind...
    FACT: 90% of small businesses fail in the first 2 years... basically because of no planning.

Let me say this again: This is a BIG decision, not one to be taken lightly. Get LOTS of input and make lots of plans BEFORE making the jump... Did I say get input and plan...

The rewards can be good to great... however without the right input... well one might end up part of that 90%... OOOOPs...

Running your own show is not for the weak or faint... however the rewards are good if one is up to the tasks.

Now speaking of work... it is time to go take care of customers...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Just like any relationship it's important to set up boundaries and to remind people of them from time to time. The main on call guy should take the calls that come in after hours period, unless he gets swamped. Companies should make a real effort to get calls pushed into the next work day, if it's not below 32* or above 90* then it's not really an emergency that can't wait.

If your boss is easy to get along with just ask them if you can have a chat, explain that you are very grateful for your job, position and love helping the company but that you want to know if there is any way to define some work free blocks of time each month so that you can give time to your personal life and not be stressing about the phone ringing too, angle it as a way to recharge the batteries so you can be even sharper and better during work hours : ).
    that strikes me as the most workable solution, since it best addresses the issue.

Going out on one's own would be a big step. Boss does get plenty enough mad customers to deal w/, no thanks.

Fri week ago was me going out to get heat for a customer that had called in upset, get the equipment running. One of panels was down due to cut SE cable, so was patching in wire to get power, then saw duct in basement not connected. took 3 or so hr (for duct) and had to make some duct on site so could get ht on. not just throw switch or some low voltage connection to make.

thanks all
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

There either the company rat, azzz kisser, or drinking buddy. Possibly nepotism
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

I know my company isn't perfect but,
    We have one person on-call for each area. Generally the on-call person does all the work, and the rest don't get bothered. If the on-call person needs help he can call another tech and we will help, but this doesn't happen all the time.
    Yesterday I was assigned about 14+ hours worth of work to do, so I called my supervisor and told him everthing I had going on, we decided the priorities, and pushed the rest off for monday. I was home by 7, if it wasn't for an emergency service call at 5, I would have been home at 5:30.

Dealing with the other techs can be frustrating at times. You get stuck with more work, and the work is of a more complex nature. Plus you have the other techs calling you all day asking silly questions that they should be able to figure out for themselves.

I'm only 23, I should be the one calling asking people dumb questions, not the other way around.

I am in a similar developing situation and it gets very draining!!!

I have been told and have heard from others in the company that, for certain non service specific tasks, I am off limits and must remain running service calls because "... I make too much money for the company...".

This is great, but where is it in my paycheck? The only place is in OT. Yes, I have a job.

Why should I bust my a$$ while the others get equal pay(do not know for a fact), no ramifications for continual screw ups and upper management seems not to care if things change.

Am I perfect, NO! Do I strive to be, YES(for which I have been told to stop trying)!

This kind of parallels the post about lowering your standards.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Well,

I really did not want to respond, but kept thinking about it, so here goes.

This has been happening to me for the last ten years.

I seem to get myself stuck on other tech's nightmares all the time.

To say I'm burnt out is the understatement of the century. That being said, here is how I deal with it now.

How it was before.
    Hypothetical scenario, tech takes a call at say 8:00AM, works on it for three or 4 hours, gets frustrated, calls for help, but not to the foreman or the service manager but to another tech, they work on it for another couple hours, I get the call at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and end up dropping what I am doing (ending any possible chance of getting home at a decent time), go look at it, finding something stupid, like a blown fuse, or a bad capacitor and end up staying late to fix it.... Who gets the praise from the customer... Obviously the person who originally took the call and got their ass handed to them....

How it is now...
    If when I get the call, I email and text the service manager, the area foreman and the tech stating that I am heading out there to "help" but that I will be leaving on time and let the first guys on scene fix it.

Get there, ask all the same questions, "did you check this?", "did you change that" you know, the normal do their job for them crap.

Once the problem is identified, another email and text to the same group. Why? Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is for the first tech on scene to get his butt kicked by a $6 capacitor or a 7cent fuse?
    You will find that this only happens once or twice before the weaker techs are calling the foreman (or you) after looking at it for a half an hour and asking questions. You may think that this would be problematic, but this is how you find the weak techs and either get them some more help as far as training, or cut them loose and find someone stronger.

After all, I would rather get the phone call at 8:30am then at 3pm. Plus, I give them things to check, not the complete answer, after a while, they have all the information when they call, not just "I'm stuck"...

Not saying this will always work, but it works for me.

Another way to handle it is with your time card, I have been known to charge some serious inconvenience tax in the past.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Sometimes being the go to guy can be exhausting and at times your family life can suffer. It sucks spending your weekends working and getting called out at night especially when you are not the one on call but the other guys won't answer the phone. The way I see it is in an unsure economy like we are in if you are the guy they can always rely on no matter what then you will never have to worry about your job EVER. I am the sole provider for my family and the way I see it is my first priority is to suck it up and go provide for my family. If I have to sacrifice my free time to make sure they are taken care of then so be it.

Many companies, especially residential look to hire salestechs. They dont really care if a guy can troubleshoot very good. As long as that guy can sell contracts, equipment and add ons, he is gold to many boss's. They will hire several guys for their sales abilities and one or two guys that have some tech ability to solve any real problems.

It could also be inexperienced techs, just out of School. The boss hires them cheap, knowing he has some experienced guys to cover for them. And the experienced guys are probably making more money.

Another poster said two techs spent six hours and can't figure out a bad capacitor or blown fuse. Those guys either have to be salestechs, have no experience, or the company has poor hiring standards . You have to pay your bills one way or another. I would rather be the "go to guy" than the unemployed guy.
    Last edited by newoldtech; 04-14-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast