Load Calculation Software

Which load calculation software do you recommend?? I have looked at wrightsoft, and elitesoft both are ACCA recognized, both are almost $500.00. Has anyone here used any of this software?? Johnrwhite.com has a software program for around $200. This is not recoginzed by ACCA but uses manual J for the calculations. I was leaning twards the $200 software, currently i have a manual J worksheet I use but thought it would be faster to have the software on my tablet. The Johnrwhite program does duct design and sizing also, but the other 2 charge another $200.00 for each. I would rather use a ACCA recoginzed software, but that is a lot of extra money to do the same task!!
    Last edited by Toddbrewster; 04-16-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Were did you find wrightsoft for $500.00? If you did, it's only the very basic. J & Draw are like 1400. It really depends on use. There are free ones out there too, but if it's something thats your job, & you're gonna need alot, I would bump it up to a Wrightsoft Suite and bite the (very big) bullet

I'll reluctantly recommend Wrightsoft. It's a very good product but I'm very disappointed that they now require a $200 "support subscription" just to download program updates. (insert smilely with raised middle finger here)

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    (insert smilely with raised middle finger here)
    ROFLMAO
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

It annoys me also. Everyone does that now. You just can't buy software and be done with it. They have to keep hitting you up for more money. Could you imagine putting in a unit for someone and telling them you have to charge a fee every year to upgrade a processor? Hmmmmm. Better not give anyone any ideas...lol
    Last edited by STEVEusaPA; 04-17-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling

right J mobile

Hey thank you for the info. I got the free sample cd from wrightsoft today, plan to give it a try this weekend if I have time. I may have mixed up the price for the wrightsoft, or it may have been a entry program, I was really leaning tward the cheap $200.00 johnrwhite software, but usually you get what you pay for so I will try the wrightsoft sample and see what I think of that. As of right now we are not required to submit a load calculation for a change out but I think it will be coming soon as it should be there are so many people around here that have no clue what to do. I did an a/c estimate this week for a 2400 sq ft. home here in michigan, the existing system has a 120,000 btuh furnace and a 2 1/2 ton a/c condenser with a 3 ton evap. there is one 2"x12" return opening, one 2"x28" return opening and a 6" return in the basement and a 3" fresh air intake. The condenser is a 1995 and they said the compressor had a hard start added last year cause the compressor made funny noises and now it doesnt work at all hmm wonder why?? My load calculation has 33,000 btuh gain, and 84,000 loss which the loss is high because the house is on a crawl space and i figured in the loss for a crawl which I didnt need to add, also they have an 8"x12" take off trunk right off the top of the supply plenum!

If you are not going to use the right draw from Wrightsoft then an alternate would be elite and is simple to use. Not sure about johnwrite software, but I would use the ACCA approved software. Both Wrightsoft and Elite reference the ACCA tables. Also if you do any light commercial, emphasis on light, then Elite is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    ROFLMAO
    x2..........
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook