20 64.52%
  • bit much to deal

1 3.23%
  • some one needs to stop screwing up

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: attitude check

attitude check

In past yr or so, due to different things like econemy, getting good employees, turn over, whatever, things have been feeling a little rough on me.

To be specific, seems I've become the cleanup guy for everyone else's screwups, in the last 6/7 weeks have been sent out on Fri, when not on call, about 4/5 times. this happens at 3/4/ even 5 in afternoon. Last one took 5 hrs to straighten up.

And its not just Fridays, got a few last week, one at 3 to go out and get a new install running.
    Maybe I need some perspective here? If the mistake maker gets sent home and I to fix it, I am getting paid. But then, I feel they being rewarded by going home on time, and I get punished by being peprived on personal time, family time, etc, constantly.
    Just to add, awhile back, one of our tech reps commented that I was "pretty much pulling the whole load in service over there.." when he asked how things were going.

Feeling a bit resentful of this setup. maybe a bit whiny, or what? Maybe a bit of burnout, ask for get off when time to get off on at least one day week?

thanks
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Took me a while to get accustomed to this as well.

I kind of turned into the "go to guy" for two service regions about 6-7 years ago and, at first, it drove me NUTS!

Exactly the same attitude you're describing.

I've made a sort of peace with it.

Hey, if a round of layoffs come through, YOU'RE SAFE!

Sounds like my job at the last company I worked for.
    We had 3 good service technicians, and 8 bodies in trucks.
    In theory I was supposed to be running commercial service calls.
    Unfortunately for me, I was too good at both finding and fixing the screwups, AND smoothing things over with the customer so they were happy, so that evolved into my primary job.
    I was fine with it when we were all being paid by the hour worked, but when the company switched to performance pay based on flat rate hours, it fell apart.
    Once I realized that I was cleaning up behind guys that were getting paid 15+ hours a day for 8-10 hours of actual work, and I was having to pencil whip my time sheets to barely get paid for my actual hours, I quit.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Does your best screwdriver get upset when you always reach for it first? Thats what you are to your company, their best tool so you will get used the most. This was our first real week of the cooling season, and I got 51.5 hours in and I am not even on call. The on call tech got less than 40. Considering the hours plus our pay difference I will likely bring home close to twice his pay for the week. Did I work my butt off this week, yeah. Was I jealous when I was still going to preferred customers when he was going home, yeah. Come payday, would I be willing to go back in time and trade hours for his check? NO WAY.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

To expand on your best screwdriver analogy, that screwdriver gets worn and beat up rather quickly....

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I kind of turned into the "go to guy" for two service regions about 6-7 years ago and, at first, it drove me NUTS!

We are still in a soft economy... and regardless of what they 'say' I do not see things getting much better soon.

Having a job, with overtime, is a DEAL... lots of folks would like OT... lots of folks would just like a job.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Going home early sounds good but, it doesn`t pay as well come payday. I understand the weekend and family and stuff you would be rather doing but, I would suspect you can never have to much extra money....right As for being the go to man,I would call that job security.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

ditto

Like others have said, job security.

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    To expand on your best screwdriver analogy, that screwdriver gets worn and beat up rather quickly....
    That's what the one week vacation a year is for that you cant take while it's busy.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

lol, aint that the truth.

My last job I was in the same spot, I would have a full day of tickets, then help the guy who couldn't get in the attic or crawl, then pick up the call for the guys who couldn't figure out what was wrong, then pick up the call for the guy who had pissed off the lady and during all this answer 4 phone calls from other techs and diagnose their units over the phone, then answer 2 more calls and get an installer through his setup and setting the charge.

Here's the deal, if you're THE guy or one of a handful at a large company then that means they trust you and so do the other guys, just make sure you aren't getting used, in my example above I happened to see a guys paystub on the ground(one of the ones I bailed out a lot) and he was making $2.50 more an hour and got to drive his truck home everyday while I used my own... I thought I was going to puke for a sec, I literally taught the other techs how to use superheat and subcool when I got hired on.

Now I'm working on getting into commercial and I doubt I'll be the guy to start with, I do know my plan is to work very hard to become the guy and make paper this time while I do it, why, because I love challenging calls and helping guys out.

There's three on call techs (went a number of mos w/only two) and one install crew right now, and one installer was injured and out for a few weeks, so the tune up guy is helping him.

I certainly have to agree on the go-to guy and job security part, have to keep reminding myself that. Its been especially bad past two months- and not even into real service weather yet.

there's even been some calls coming in after I've been off for 1/2 hr, 1 hr, on noncall evening, to run a call. People need to be left alone at some point to have some peace from work.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast