Enthusiastic...but Probably a Little Naive

Enthusiastic...but Probably a Little Naive

Good afternoon all,

I'm currently an electrician. I'm working now, but was laid off last year. I have a baby on the way and will do anything to MAXIMIZE the security of my family. I want to get into HVAC as a second career and be an electrician and HVAC full time. It's difficult because none of the community colleges in the entire state offer night classes in HVAC - strange, as I thought those programs are geared more towards working class people than towards folks who have all the free time in the world between the hours of 9AM and 5PM...

Is it possible to be brought on as a helper or an apprentice for a night shift? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening?

I have my journeyman license from the State of Maine. Also, I'm GMAW certified if that would help at all. I've got some decent skills, just need a way of getting into the field while having another full-time job.

I don't know. I figured I'd give it a shot so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My other option was to go the Machinist route as a second career and take those courses at night, but what with manufacturing drying up everywhere I don't know if that's a good long-term career. I thought HVAC might be better. Whatever the case, if anyone has some advice feel free....

Thanks everyone

I am also in Maine and back in 71 SMVTI, (now U of M So Portland), had some night classes. You need to talk to the guy that is teaching the day classes now. He taught the night classes back in the day. I am sure he could help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStarks View Post
    Good afternoon all,

I'm currently an electrician. I'm working now, but was laid off last year. I have a baby on the way and will do anything to MAXIMIZE the security of my family. I want to get into HVAC as a second career and be an electrician and HVAC full time. It's difficult because none of the community colleges in the entire state offer night classes in HVAC - strange, as I thought those programs are geared more towards working class people than towards folks who have all the free time in the world between the hours of 9AM and 5PM...

Is it possible to be brought on as a helper or an apprentice for a night shift? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening?

I have my journeyman license from the State of Maine. Also, I'm GMAW certified if that would help at all. I've got some decent skills, just need a way of getting into the field while having another full-time job.

I don't know. I figured I'd give it a shot so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My other option was to go the Machinist route as a second career and take those courses at night, but what with manufacturing drying up everywhere I don't know if that's a good long-term career. I thought HVAC might be better. Whatever the case, if anyone has some advice feel free....

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I am also in Maine and back in 71 SMVTI, (now U of M So Portland), had some night classes. You need to talk to the guy that is teaching the day classes now. He taught the night classes back in the day. I am sure he could help you.
    Youre saying USM has HVAC classes? Link?

It is is on Ficket St. I think. http://www.smccme.edu/
    Hope that helps.

Youre saying USM has HVAC classes? Link?

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    It is is on Ficket St. I think. http://www.smccme.edu/
    Hope that helps.
    Can you PM me the professors name if yoire comfortable doing so? I'm at SMCC right now but looked on theie catalogue online and saw no HVAC classes...

My email is in my profile. Can't find yours.
    Can you PM me the professors name if yoire comfortable doing so? I'm at SMCC right now but looked on theie catalogue online and saw no HVAC classes...