Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any harm with cutting nitro flow?

I've some trouble trying to trickle nitrogen through my last brazing joints without some sort of pin hole, I've always killed the nitrogen on my very last, but is it possible I'm trapping oxygen inside the unit by doing so?

If the lines have been under a constant nitrogen purge, there is almost zero chance of nitrogen getting in the system of you cut the purge.

I'd suggest cutting the pressure down, first.

I don't know I'f this is technically correct but I use soap bubbles on the outlet of the nitrogen and just get it bubbling a little.

Are you using a flow meter or just the regulator to control flow?

Get a flowmeter...only around $40 dollars. Makes it so much easier to control.

Looks like the flowmeter is on sale at Johnston for $23. Great price!

Quote Originally Posted by georgehvac View Post
    Looks like the flowmeter is on sale at Johnston for $23. Great price!
    Money well spent IMO.

I had a used one, the glass cracked because a co-worker dropped it! Hah, anyway I've tried to just crack the port just a bit. I will invest in a new one and try at it again. I also want to sign up for a brazing class, or at least find a bunch of scrap to practice on... thanks guys

I usually flow nitro, with flow meter from discharge to suction and leave suction open for nitro to escape. Prevents positive pressure from building and pushes air out so only nitro in system. Blow it hard for 1-2 minutes to purge then cut flow back to a trickle. Need magnet ring on solenoid valve, if present, but it works pretty good.

Actually this brings up an old question for me. What is the best method for brazing a hermetic compressor, being you can't get a flow through it?

I've just purged each side with nitro for a few seconds to get as much air out as I could. Haven't had any issues, don't know if anyone else has a better method?

Bought a new flow meter! I hope I have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SEIDexter View Post
    Actually this brings up an old question for me. What is the best method for brazing a hermetic compressor, being you can't get a flow through it?

I've just purged each side with nitro for a few seconds to get as much air out as I could. Haven't had any issues, don't know if anyone else has a better method?
    I know this is off from original topic but....

I cut my piping rather than unbrazing them to avoid burning oil when taking the old one out. Unless you want to burn a few holes in your lungs, I don't recommend breathing it in, haha. I like to have nitro flowing for a compressor to keep it cool when brazing with oxy seems to work for me.

Ive been taught run atleast 3psi of nitro in opposite direction of refrigerant flow when brazing.

I got tired of breaking flow regulators, so I made up a more bullet-proof type:

It's just a scrap piece of 7/8" ACR with end caps, a couple of 1/4" male flare connections and about 10 ft of .042" capillary tube coiled up inside. I guessed at the cap tube size, but with the nitrogen regulator set at 30 psig it delivers a perfect purge flow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast