Thread: Hot/Cold Room - What fixes this? New return or Fix Flow?

Post Likes

Hot/Cold Room - What fixes this? New return or Fix Flow?

Help,

While considering replacing my old system with a bad evaporative coil, I want to make sure that if we get this new system we don't continue to have the same problem spots in the home that we had before. My master bedroom is always colder in the winter and warmer in the summer than the other rooms in the house. We have found that simply leaving the door open to our room fixes this problem but we are not willing to leave our door open all the time.

We have been told 2 solutions:

1) The room needs a return and this will help with the pressure in the room and it should properly heat and cool.
    2) Our Allstyle Box coil has one duct that is straight off of it that takes the majority of the heating/cooling which causes our master to not get sufficient cooling. Replacing the Allstyle will immediately help this issue.

Which is the solution that will probably work best?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithGP View Post
    Help,

While considering replacing my old system with a bad evaporative coil, I want to make sure that if we get this new system we don't continue to have the same problem spots in the home that we had before. My master bedroom is always colder in the winter and warmer in the summer than the other rooms in the house. We have found that simply leaving the door open to our room fixes this problem but we are not willing to leave our door open all the time.

1) The room needs a return and this will help with the pressure in the room and it should properly heat and cool.
    2) Our Allstyle Box coil has one duct that is straight off of it that takes the majority of the heating/cooling which causes our master to not get sufficient cooling. Replacing the Allstyle will immediately help this issue.

Thanks!
    Have you not proven that leaving the door open eliminates the problem and dis-spells option #2?

Post Likes
    Why don't get the new unit and or replace the bad coil and rework the ducting to deliver the proper air flow to each room, remember everything cost money.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Have you not proven that leaving the door open eliminates the problem and dis-spells option #2?
    That's why I'm asking. I am not a professional. In my limited experience, it seems like a return would work, but reading here I see a number of people who have stated that their problem remained even after the return was added. One technician wants to add the return and another technician stated that I just simply may not be getting proper cooling/heating to the room from the Allstyle and when I'm opening the door I am getting the addition of the vents from the hallway and other rooms. Both recommendations seem viable to me, I am still unsure. I figure here someone has seen this type of issue in homes thousands of times and knows exactly right off what fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Why don't get the new unit and or replace the bad coil and rework the ducting to deliver the proper air flow to each room, remember everything cost money.
    That's exactly what I'm considering. The money is the issue.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Air is going to travel from positive to negative. Your supply register is the positive and the return is your negative. The air supplies in the rest of the house are not going to travel past a return to enter your room to cool it when the door is open.

Post Likes
    Help,

Thanks!
    It sounds like a return (properly sized) is definitely needed. The supply coming off the coil is probably "stealing" airflow. However, because air will take the route of least resistance, balancing is (normally) always needed. This is done by moving the dampers on the supplies in the basement.

Post Likes
    A home energy audit should give you all the info you need. www.comfortinstitute.org

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    A home energy audit should give you all the info you need. www.comfortinstitute.org
    Are these home audits given for free? I clicked on the link and it gives me a listing of CI Contractors? Is this something I can do myself or need to get one of these contractors out?

Post Likes
    That's why I'm asking. I am not a professional. In my limited experience, it seems like a return would work, but reading here I see a number of people who have stated that their problem remained even after the return was added. One technician wants to add the return and another technician stated that I just simply may not be getting proper cooling/heating to the room from the Allstyle and when I'm opening the door I am getting the addition of the vents from the hallway and other rooms. Both recommendations seem viable to me, I am still unsure. I figure here someone has seen this type of issue in homes thousands of times and knows exactly right off what fixes it.

That's exactly what I'm considering. The money is the issue.

Thanks.

This is simple if looked at by a pro. 1st per you when leaving the doors open the master bedroom heats and cool better. So by shuting it off with the door is causing your problem
    You have 3 options.

1. Leave the door open

2. Install a pass through grill so when the door is shut air can still be pulled back through the return allowing that room to heat and cool properly. (This option will be like leaving the door opened and any noise inside the bedroom can easily be heard.

3. Cut a return air grill in the ceiling to return back from supply's in that room.

Where is your unit located? Attic or hallway? While supply is important return is equally important when far away the system. So proper air flow supply and return is the key for comfort. A system by itself without doing anything to the ductwork is not going to solve your problems.

Post Likes
    Are these home audits given for free? I clicked on the link and it gives me a listing of CI Contractors? Is this something I can do myself or need to get one of these contractors out?
    No they aren't free. www.bpi.org and www.resnet.us are other places you can find auditors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    This is simple if looked at by a pro. 1st per you when leaving the doors open the master bedroom heats and cool better. So by shuting it off with the door is causing your problem
    You have 3 options.

1. Leave the door open

2. Install a pass through grill so when the door is shut air can still be pulled back through the return allowing that room to heat and cool properly. (This option will be like leaving the door opened and any noise inside the bedroom can easily be heard.

3. Cut a return air grill in the ceiling to return back from supply's in that room.

Where is your unit located? Attic or hallway? While supply is important return is equally important when far away the system. So proper air flow supply and return is the key for comfort. A system by itself without doing anything to the ductwork is not going to solve your problems.
    X2, there may be other things contributing to the hot/cold room other than no return pathway. If leaving the door open completely solves your issue then you need a return in your bedroom. If its still not as comfortable as you'd like then there are likely other issues in which a home energy audit will uncover, including duct issues. In a "perfect" duct system, any area that can be closed off (has a door) should have a return air sized according to the amount of supply air needed to heat/cool the area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    X2, there may be other things contributing to the hot/cold room other than no return pathway. If leaving the door open completely solves your issue then you need a return in your bedroom. If its still not as comfortable as you'd like then there are likely other issues in which a home energy audit will uncover, including duct issues. In a "perfect" duct system, any area that can be closed off (has a door) should have a return air sized according to the amount of supply air needed to heat/cool the area.
    Well said. What amazes me is I run across a (5) ton system with (1) 20x25 return and 18" flex drop that runs 40 foot back the air handler. This is not a cheap house either a nice new home in a high $$$ area with this. House never cools propely etc...

While I hate to see this in any homeowners house, but hey as along as those guys out there doing that kind of work I will always have a job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    This is simple if looked at by a pro.
    That's what I tried to do. Both of the pros had the conflicting solutions that I posted.

1st per you when leaving the doors open the master bedroom heats and cool better. So by shuting it off with the door is causing your problem
    You have 3 options.

1. Leave the door open

These were the options given by the tech that advised about a return for the bedroom. That is what I believe I will do.

My unit is in the attic. Both techs seemed to believe that I had sufficient ductwork with the Allstyle box coil being the major problem.

Thanks again!

Post Likes
    it isn't that difficult to add a jump duct from the bedroom to the hall beyond it
    for return air.or to put transfer grills in the wall above the door to the bedroom.
    if you offset the transfer grills within the same joist bay you'll lessen noise & light transfer.

where is the return located?

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Is it free? Do you go to work everyday for free? Do you contribute a few hours a day to your boss for free? C'mon.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    the benefits of utilities getting involved. 'free' audits that cost ratepayers much more
    than an independnet audit. just think $1.00 per month, per customer...for as long
    as they decide to charge it. free audit indeed.
    not one utility company has removed this charge. yeah...free audit.
    save 10-15% with free audit cause you don't want stockholders to lose money,
    cause they..what..sell utilities.
    or save 30-59% with independent audit.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in