+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seen it all?

Post Likes

Seen it all?

Had a call today where 2 cassette tapes where melted blobs of plastic behind the louvres on top of a firebox. The fumes were so toxic it burned the occupants eyes and lungs. I personally would have turned it off sooner. It will make me now think twice before I tell people a dusty burning smell is normal when you first turn on the fireplace for the season. Of course nobody knew how they got there.

Post Likes
    I know its not suppose to be funny, but man it is(: I told a couple that last week about the burning smell, don't think I will be telling anyone that anytime soon either. Thanks for the post NGT

Post Likes
    I've removed Barbie doll heads, candy bars, plastic balls melted, bugs, ammunition, fireworks, and dead animals for starters from fireplaces. that's why you should inspect them--not just look at them.

Post Likes
    I one time found an 18 volt dewalt drill and battery in the chimney a little discolored but it worked great. But you never know what your going to find and sometimes the things that should be normal to us turns out to be something serious.
    Last edited by wicat3; 07-31-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Post Likes
    Was cleaning an open fireplace last weekend and this dead pigeon was laid out inside,

oh well keep cleaning and bagged it up, after sweeping the chimney went back down to
    clean/clear all the soot out and this large lizard decided to die in the flue as well.

Was taking off a flashing a couple weeks back near shaver lake, Cali and as I took it off
    several sets of eyes and teeth greeted me, had to ask my boss if bats around here bite?

Getting to know the workplace critters priceless

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
    HAHA That reminds me we had a condo complex that used oil heat but one big tank so they had piped them into meters into the crawl spaces of the condos and would read the meters once a month and subtract from the last reading to bill the customer. Any way I somehow got the job to do the readings and the problem was that the condos all looked the same and we would try to mark the bilco so we knew where the meters were located but the complex people would just clean the markings off. One day when I was looking for the meters im crawling around looking into the crawl space and my flashlight hits a set of eyes I backed out real quick, still not sure if it was a cat or a racoon or who knows.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
    Was cleaning an open fireplace last weekend and this dead pigeon was laid out inside,

oh well keep cleaning and bagged it up, after sweeping the chimney went back down to
    clean/clear all the soot out and this large lizard decided to die in the flue as well.

Was taking off a flashing a couple weeks back near shaver lake, Cali and as I took it off
    several sets of eyes and teeth greeted me, had to ask my boss if bats around here bite?

Reminds me of rafter crawling in an attic on a no AC call. After fixing the plugged condensate and dirty coil, I start my slow exit crawling backwards. As I slowly move backwards I look down to find that for the entire time I was in the attic I was laying on top of three dead rats. Good way to start the day!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in