Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    20141
    Posts
    1,152

    RANT: Fieldpiece temp. Clamps

    THEY F'N SUCK!!!!!! I've owned the SMAN4s for two weeks now and both of the included temp clamps are broken. Hell, the wires pulled right out of one! I'm REALLY disappointed. I hang them up, I use the bag, I haven't dropped them, once. Ive owned lots of other Fieldpiece products and theyre clever, like the sc56 (of which I own 2 of) but when it comes to long term ruggedness, they leave something to be desired, IMHO.

    I guess I'll return the sman's and buy another set of testos.
    I am the Stig

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,481
    Contact Russell Harju via this website. He is a FP rep and will get you taken care of in no time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    They are standard K-type thermocouples, you can use a couple of Fluke 80PK-8 clamps with them.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    They are standard K-type thermocouples, you can use a couple of Fluke 80PK-8 clamps with them.
    That's what I have on mine.

    This new FP will replace your clamps...just talk nice a bout them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    THEY F'N SUCK!!!!!! I've owned the SMAN4s for two weeks now and both of the included temp clamps are broken. Hell, the wires pulled right out of one! I'm REALLY disappointed. I hang them up, I use the bag, I haven't dropped them, once. Ive owned lots of other Fieldpiece products and theyre clever, like the sc56 (of which I own 2 of) but when it comes to long term ruggedness, they leave something to be desired, IMHO.

    I guess I'll return the sman's and buy another set of testos.
    Addamsmasher,

    PM your address and I'll send you some new ones. The return rate on those are really low since we fixed the bad batch of plastic 2 years ago. You just got unlucky. We apologize for the inconvenience and we'll get you back to work ASAP. THanks

    Russ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    That's what I have on mine.
    This reminds me, I need to mod the clamp parking studs on my SMAN3 so they work better with the Fluke clamps.
    Sounds like a good project for this weekend, since rain prevented the sod company from harvesting the sod I ordered, so I won't have it this weekend.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,730
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    They are standard K-type thermocouples, you can use a couple of Fluke 80PK-8 clamps with them.
    Didn't Fieldpiece have a clamp almost identical to the Fluke clamp before but for less money. What ever happened to that one?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Didn't Fieldpiece have a clamp almost identical to the Fluke clamp before but for less money. What ever happened to that one?
    It was identical to the Fluke 80PK-8 because it was made by the same 3rd party manufacturer. It was about the same price with either brand on it.
    Cooper had, or maybe still has, a K-type clamp that uses the same ribbon thermocouple sensor, but in a Cooper style clamp. Still about the same price as the Fluke.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event