Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 32
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,111
    Schweet
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    29
    photo-5.JPGphoto-4.JPG
    Here are some pictures of the blown rupture disc.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,111
    Thanks- do u know what makes this happen- the negative pressure? I would not think so-

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    29
    Positive pressure causes this I believe its 15psig when it will blow.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66 View Post
    Positive pressure causes this I believe its 15psig when it will blow.
    Yes, they rupture at 15 PSIG. My question is what caused the high pressure to occur in the first place and secondly how no one diagnosed the problem before an attempt was made to pull the refrigerant charge?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Yes, they rupture at 15 PSIG. My question is what caused the high pressure to occur in the first place and secondly how no one diagnosed the problem before an attempt was made to pull the refrigerant charge?
    I talked to another tech the other day he said he was there in the winter and they where running hot water though the chiller. He said it was from a valve passing. I have yet to have time to look for the valve. How would you diagnose the rupture disc was blown? I never saw the chiller run due to the high oil pressure would lock out the chiller. I also found the control shaft leaking when I leak check the machine. That was really fun to change let me tell you my heart was beating fast when pulling the stud out to install the bolt for final assembly.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66 View Post
    I talked to another tech the other day he said he was there in the winter and they where running hot water though the chiller. He said it was from a valve passing. I have yet to have time to look for the valve. How would you diagnose the rupture disc was blown? I never saw the chiller run due to the high oil pressure would lock out the chiller. I also found the control shaft leaking when I leak check the machine. That was really fun to change let me tell you my heart was beating fast when pulling the stud out to install the bolt for final assembly.
    I got a little ahead of myself. I was thinking carbon rupture disk which is a little different than what you have. You have the type that will relieve pressure until it drops below a certain level and spring load shut again to help save losing all the charge. When you walk up to a chiller with the relief device you have there there should be a gauge on the downstream side of the disk. If that pressure is the same as the vessels, then something is wrong.

    I would question why the tech didn't run a red lag up the pole when he discovered hot water running through the chiller. Definitely a cause for alarm.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quite a few places egg bs up doing that accidentally that have two pipe systems. A lot of people change things on the fly on these but this is why I usually just go for pulling the charge myself. Always a leak somewhere. Especially the stupid orifice inspection plate.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    29
    Yes it does have a gauge on it and the gauge was broken reading 6psig. I notice the gauge drop in pressure when pulled the gas out of the machine. When I took the gauge off it still reads 6psig. I replace the gauge and also put a 1/4 service port on the bottom of the 4 way for the future.
    The tech said he told the customer, but I guess that's as far as it got.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    54
    A YT will plug the filters pretty quick with a dirty sump. Someone probably cranked up the regulator to limp by witha dirty filter. I've never seen a YT regulator not work in 25 yrs in the field, working almost exclusively on York chillers.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillrtech View Post
    A YT will plug the filters pretty quick with a dirty sump. Someone probably cranked up the regulator to limp by witha dirty filter. I've never seen a YT regulator not work in 25 yrs in the field, working almost exclusively on York chillers.
    I changed the oil filter when I got into this mess and also backed off the pressure regulator and still got the same pressures. With the new regulator its working good and pressures are normal. There really is no other reason for the pressure would be so high when its pressure differential the controls are looking at.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,111
    Questions,?!
    1 what is the difference between carbon and the style disc shown here.

    2 NJBIKER, why was ur heart beating during that last stud? What could happen? Could some something fall and get lost?

    3 would a bad disc contaminate the refrigerant charge or lose the entire charge?

    4 I know that one can run hot water through a bundle to raise the pressure , and one can drain the bundle to a 1/4 or 1/2 to speed things up, what are some other ways for leak check?
    Pulling the oil to change , I would just use a pump, but for leak checking?
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,618
    lets be real if the room is less than 80 deg. F and the barrels are isolated the refrigerant should be stable R123 or R11 etc. anything above you are going to have outgasing then you shlould have a resperator on you could change a disc if the room temp and chiller are below the 80 deg. mark with no problem I have have done charging valves on the fly with a machine having a full charge with no problem and carbon rupture disks once a carbon disks lets go its just a big hole where it was once sealed one time release the rupture guard will also let go but instead of dumping the entire charge it will act like a relief valve and seal back up once the pressure has been relieved to protect the equipment. Last once you have had an incident get that machine sealed back up otherwise you are just asking for a lot of trouble the more its exposed to the atmosphere and it elements the worse it gets. Never run hot water or pumps thru an idle chiller without monitoring equipment or else you are asking for trouble.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event