+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York YT Chiller High oil Pressure.

Post Likes

York YT Chiller High oil Pressure.

Hey Guys,
    I have a question on a York YT Chiller. I getting High Oil Pressure faults. I looked though the information that I found on site and found that it will shut down the chiller at 60psi. I isolated and changed my oil filter it was pretty dirty and the oil was black. I Check both sensors/ Pressure Transducers they both read about the same with the chiller OFF. I put a gauge on the oil pressure filter after refilling with oil and I manually started the pump the pressure shot up to 110psig on my display screen on the chiller it maxes out at 60psi and then goes to XX.X for readings. Both my inlet and outlet valves are open I made sure of that. If you try to start the chiller it will fail in Prelube due to the high pressures. Any help would be Great.

Post Likes
    Try adjusting the pressure regulator. If your oil and filter are as dirty as you say then the regulator might be FUBAR as well.

Why aren't the oil and filter being maintained? Just asking....

Post Likes
    Thats a great question that I can only say I have not a clue to as of right now. We took over this account last year some time and I'm not sure why they did not send us out to get oil samples on the chillers and Parts list together for preventive maintenance. I backed of the the regulator and retested it and got the same pressures. I also have the York parts break down and they call it a Relief Valve. What is the Proper operation of this valve? I can only assume that if the pressure is to High it should dump it back into the oil sump? I will w be ordering oil and other odds and ends to do the PM on this machine asap.

Post Likes
    Yes, York calls it a relief valve and it does as you say. We may run into a problem here. This conversation could get technical in a hurry and since this is an open forum I don't like to talk too specifically. The conversation should take place in the Pro's Forum. Perhaps you can find a way to get your post count up and apply for Pro status.

Post Likes
    i had transducer on start up do the same thing it was bad right on start up fun

Post Likes
    I was hoping it was just a transducer, but not the case. Once I put my gauge on the oil lines and watched climb up to 100psi I knew it was other problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Try adjusting the pressure regulator. If your oil and filter are as dirty as you say then the regulator might be FUBAR as well.

Why aren't the oil and filter being maintained? Just asking....

Just asking, would someone have to pull the gas to replace the regulator ? Or can the oil circuit be isolated to do this ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Just asking, would someone have to pull the gas to replace the regulator ? Or can the oil circuit be isolated to do this ?
    If you are really fast ,you can do it! On the other hand that inch and half pipe on the top of the oil tank, (compressor oil drain back to sump with out iso. valve ), looks pretty intimidating.

Post Likes
    Accident

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    If a person were very careful, knew the proper procedure and had the proper fittings with them, that valve could be changed without removing the charge. It certainly wouldn't be recommended for the inexperienced or the faint of heart.

Post Likes
    My Boss told me to pull the charge at the end of the day I did what i was told to. On another note when I recovered the charge I notice the Gauge on the external rupture disc dropped in pressure. I pulled the relief valve off the top of the disc to find that the disc was broken which explains why I was not able pull out the complete charge of R123. More fun to be had.

Post Likes
    You don't happen to have apic of the broken disc do ya?
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Yes I have several pictures. I will try and get them up tonight or tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Schweet
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-5.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	380431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	380441
    Here are some pictures of the blown rupture disc.

Post Likes
    Thanks- do u know what makes this happen- the negative pressure? I would not think so-

Post Likes
    Positive pressure causes this I believe its 15psig when it will blow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66 View Post
    Positive pressure causes this I believe its 15psig when it will blow.
    Yes, they rupture at 15 PSIG. My question is what caused the high pressure to occur in the first place and secondly how no one diagnosed the problem before an attempt was made to pull the refrigerant charge?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Yes, they rupture at 15 PSIG. My question is what caused the high pressure to occur in the first place and secondly how no one diagnosed the problem before an attempt was made to pull the refrigerant charge?
    I talked to another tech the other day he said he was there in the winter and they where running hot water though the chiller. He said it was from a valve passing. I have yet to have time to look for the valve. How would you diagnose the rupture disc was blown? I never saw the chiller run due to the high oil pressure would lock out the chiller. I also found the control shaft leaking when I leak check the machine. That was really fun to change let me tell you my heart was beating fast when pulling the stud out to install the bolt for final assembly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66 View Post
    I talked to another tech the other day he said he was there in the winter and they where running hot water though the chiller. He said it was from a valve passing. I have yet to have time to look for the valve. How would you diagnose the rupture disc was blown? I never saw the chiller run due to the high oil pressure would lock out the chiller. I also found the control shaft leaking when I leak check the machine. That was really fun to change let me tell you my heart was beating fast when pulling the stud out to install the bolt for final assembly.
    I got a little ahead of myself. I was thinking carbon rupture disk which is a little different than what you have. You have the type that will relieve pressure until it drops below a certain level and spring load shut again to help save losing all the charge. When you walk up to a chiller with the relief device you have there there should be a gauge on the downstream side of the disk. If that pressure is the same as the vessels, then something is wrong.

I would question why the tech didn't run a red lag up the pole when he discovered hot water running through the chiller. Definitely a cause for alarm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in